Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior mod......w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006 | 09:58 AM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Royalty
wow, i gotta try and get over there and check it out.
good job

thanks.
Old 01-30-2006 | 10:06 AM
sweanders
Race Director

The glare is a killer.

It is interesting and cool that you tried it, but it is not my cup of tea. I like the bare metal or stock look.
Old 01-30-2006 | 12:52 PM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

nope never seen that car. I just moved from cinci though.

In cinci, i only saw 1 other yellow 944, and it was beaten and had an N/a front bumper.
Old 01-30-2006 | 01:03 PM
Z-man
Race Director

I like it!
Reminds me of my wife's New Beetle Turbo's interior:

VW makes a 'Color Concept' version of the New Beetle, complete with quite a splash of color on the inside. It's a bit of 'Bling' but I like it!
Old 01-30-2006 | 01:39 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Ok, wait...ok there it is...I can see again

Love the yellow dash....best part is if/when you have gone color blind you can just take it off and recover. Or just always wear sunglasses.
Old 01-30-2006 | 01:47 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

You got that cover from Vertex? How much? Also, the 2nd picture... did you put the cover on for a little while BEFORE you painted it? That picture doesn't show the cracks... or is it just me...? Also, you said it came w/something to stick it on, but was not neccessary... just curious to hear how that part turned out... is it staying on well?? Also, what did you use to paint it (dye or actual paint?) & do you know what material the cover is made of? Nice job... I really like it- not sure I'd want to own it as an only car w/that interior, but if I had a couple, I wouldn't mind at all & I definately like seeing it for it's originality... from the pics, it almost looks like a brand new dash in that color... does it look that good in person? Also, as several others mentioned, IF you had left it black & then painted the underside of the dash so that the top of the door panel strip matched the top of the dash & Vice versa, it would look more like the stock deviating interior, but, the way you did it, almost shows a contrasting sort of opposite type approach... nicely done..
Old 01-30-2006 | 02:02 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robby
You got that cover from Vertex? How much? Also, the 2nd picture... did you put the cover on for a little while BEFORE you painted it? That picture doesn't show the cracks... or is it just me...? Also, you said it came w/something to stick it on, but was not neccessary... just curious to hear how that part turned out... is it staying on well?? Also, what did you use to paint it (dye or actual paint?) & do you know what material the cover is made of? ..

With shipping it was $101.... Yes, I did put the cover on first, to see if it fit correctly........ It did come with a silicone adhesive, that I will probably use later..... The dash kind of wedges itself into place...... The paint is the same paint i used for the door panels..... I got it from a paint store, its just a "vinyl paint"
Old 01-30-2006 | 02:21 PM
MM951
Race Director

Nice work, but I don't like the yellow dash. Your car though Post pics when you do more!

That champagne interior is what i want. How hard is it to source those seats?

Mike
Old 01-30-2006 | 02:59 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by jgporsche
With shipping it was $101.... Yes, I did put the cover on first, to see if it fit correctly........ It did come with a silicone adhesive, that I will probably use later..... The dash kind of wedges itself into place...... The paint is the same paint i used for the door panels..... I got it from a paint store, its just a "vinyl paint"
Whatever you do, don't adhere it to place! You might get a little sqeek here and there up around the window, but the minute you adhere it you will watch it warp and set yourself up for some real PIA when it comes to take it off etc..
Old 01-30-2006 | 03:59 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Whatever you do, don't adhere it to place! You might get a little sqeek here and there up around the window, but the minute you adhere it you will watch it warp and set yourself up for some real PIA when it comes to take it off etc..

then I won't

OT: Testaroosa, i emailed you back
Old 01-30-2006 | 04:20 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Imho, blech... BUT...

if it were painted back to black, and you made the LOWER part of the dash yellow to match the way the doors look, or reverse the doors so the yellow was on top, it'd look much nicer...

To each his own... I just don't like the way the yellow jumps from bottom to top to bottom again...
Old 01-30-2006 | 04:31 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

noooooo,
rice rice baby!
Old 01-30-2006 | 04:35 PM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

is it just me or does what one does to their car make it easy to determine their age? Or atleast how old they act anyway.
Kind like the 50y guy i saw in a yellow C5 vette, that tottaly ruined by putting a cheap riceboy F1 wannabe wing on it.
Old 01-30-2006 | 05:02 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

A local place re-covered my hatch cover for $50 (instead of ~$175 new)- better than new- in linen, since I planned to change my interior- I then decided I wanted black, for other reasons. They told me to dye it. I wish I'd paid them to redo it- I used two cans & again, I'm talking about going from white to black, as easy as it gets- cost me $20 & still looks like flabby ***. Eventually, I may take it back to them to redo. Then I'll only have $120 in it.

I bought a used dash- mine has explosive bag & several vent cracks- I want to get rid of the bag... I'd really like to find a way to use it as storage- like a hidden glovebox or something- doubt it's possible... Anway, Rock sold me one w/only a few cracks for $175- I decided not to go through the trouble unless it was perfect. I tried to find someone to recover it- found two places- one wants $500 ($900 forAB!) & uses better material(?) to keep from re-cracking(?). My local place wont do it at all- said he'd seen really nice dash covers, done in OR out of car- they'd recover my new dash for $50, w/glue, that covers don't crack as easily & if I ever wanted it off, I'd just have to put another cover on top...? Would it be THAT hard to pull off if glued on, or, would it actually hurt the dash, other than just the finish, to tear it off? How thick are the covers- can they be stacked like that???

Is your's an airbag dash? Can't tell from the pics. I'm wondering if I can't just go over AB panel w/the cover...? What does everyone think? I mean, if it weren't stuck down tightly then would the seams show? Is it a Coverlay? Is it fairly sturdy- it looks so in the pics...? Almost like a thin plastic...? In person, is it easy to tell it's not a real dash? I've always wondered how it looks at the base, where it comes up to the flat dash section, etc...? Are you happy w/it? IF you had a perfect dash that you could use, would you go through the trouble of installation, or would you rather use a cover like you did?

Sorry for all the questions & if I'm sort of in tangent zone here, but there just don't seem to be very many good dash options. Your's just came out looking really good, so I'd like to know more... Also, where did you have the seats recovered? Would a good cloth cost anywhere near the same? I'm assuming your price was for leather & not vinyl...? My local guy said he'd do the panels for ~$100/ea, not including the top strip, so now I wish I'd just kept the hatch cover linen. Could have the 968 panels done in linen & IF I end up paying to recover the dash, I can just have it done in linen/black. THEN, I'd have to decide what to do for the rest- replacing carpet is a serious PITFA, so I'll probably leave it black- could get linen floormats & eventually get linen middles for my seats (leaving bolsters black), unless I can find lighter-weight aftermarket seats in linen... Do you have any more pics of your covered dash, from various angles, close-ups, etc...? I'll PM you my e-mail addy if that's easier...

thanks a lot...
Old 01-30-2006 | 09:16 PM
Motation
Advanced

Default I would leave it black.

I think your interior looked better before the Yellow dash cap. Way better. The Yellow dash is a bit of an overkill IMO. Also, have you driven it during the day? The glare is going to kill you (hopefully not literally). Even in your daytime pic, you can tell how bad it is. Nice idea but I don't think it's gonna be very functional. I have a dash cap on my 86. got it from Perf Prods. something like $75. I wish it fit as tight as the one in your pics. I would definetly not recommend thet one I got. Fitment is poor. I give it one finger out of five.

Quick Reply: interior mod......w/ pics