Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

interior mod......w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006 | 10:28 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

i have driven it during the day........ no glare. my windows are tinted very dark. the reason you see glare is because the door was open and the sun was shining directly on it when i took the pic.
Old 01-31-2006 | 06:40 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Whatever you do, don't adhere it to place! You might get a little sqeek here and there up around the window, but the minute you adhere it you will watch it warp and set yourself up for some real PIA when it comes to take it off etc..
Use some thin double-sided carpet tape in a few key areas, like around the vents, and along the lower lip. That helps hold it down and keeps it from moving and making noise. Removal is easy after it warps and you need to purchase another.
Old 01-31-2006 | 08:46 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Use some thin double-sided carpet tape in a few key areas, like around the vents, and along the lower lip. That helps hold it down and keeps it from moving and making noise. Removal is easy after it warps and you need to purchase another.
That's a good idea- I think I'm going to go that route... How thick are these from Vertex? They're obviously solid enough to stand up by themselves to paint... Would stacking one on top of another, when it was time to recover again, even be possible w/this one???
Old 01-31-2006 | 08:53 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Has anyone ever seen a linen interior with a linen dash top or were all linens really the linen/black deviating interior??? I always wondered how full-linen would look but wonder about glare... my hatch cover did glare some when it was linen... Yellow may not be as bad, but it's awfully shiny in the pics... I've often wondered if the vents would crack as badly in lighter colors- I would think that linen would be much less likely to crack than black...
Old 01-31-2006 | 09:27 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Robby
That's a good idea- I think I'm going to go that route... How thick are these from Vertex? They're obviously solid enough to stand up by themselves to paint... Would stacking one on top of another, when it was time to recover again, even be possible w/this one???
Not really. They are molded fairly tight to the contours of the dash. You could stack them when they are un-warped, but the fit would be terrible. It wouldn't make much sense to try to fit a nice unwarped cover over a warped one and have the fit look like bullocks. You would be better off ripping the old one off and putting the new cover on there.
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:07 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

The yellow dash is creative and looks good, but I think Greg's interior is the best 944 interior I've seen.
Old 01-31-2006 | 01:32 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike: The champagne leather was an extra cost option and I haven't seen very many of them. I've kept an eye out for champagne sport seats for a couple of years now and have yet to see any so I think they're pretty rare.

Joel: Thanks, I'm really pleased with how it has turned out. I'm anxious to see how the champagne armrest turns out, I'll post some pics when I get it back from AGLA in the next few days.
Old 01-31-2006 | 02:53 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg- yes, please post some pics... I'd love to see them...

Dash covers- Anyone ever seen one put on over an airbag dash? If thick enough, the seams from the panel might not be noticeable through them...? My dash looks better than most- I have ~14 cracks & most are <1/4" long. The worst is right in line w/the left airbag panel seam- runs from a vent all the way across, connecting to it- it's only ~1.5" & is by far the longest crack, but it's a little too much of an eye-catcher for me- I've really kept the cracks from getting much worse since '99, but I'd love to have it look new again & not have to pay a minimum $500 + S&H...
Old 01-31-2006 | 03:24 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Normally I friggin' HATE dash covers, but I applaud your efforts here - looks better and actually enhances the interior. Works with the scheme you have going even though I'm not a particular fan of that look. Very good eye and good idea.
Old 01-31-2006 | 03:36 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Robby
Dash covers- Anyone ever seen one put on over an airbag dash?
Pete had on on his S2 that he sold to Vlad ("Russian Rocket"). He disabled the airbag and filled in the seams prior to installation. It looked very good, if you didn't know that the S2 should have had an airbag (here in the US) you would never had known it was a dash cover.
Old 01-31-2006 | 03:48 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Cool! That's exactly what I wanted to hear.... Thanks Tifo...
Old 01-31-2006 | 03:57 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Normally I friggin' HATE dash covers, but I applaud your efforts here - looks better and actually enhances the interior. Works with the scheme you have going even though I'm not a particular fan of that look. Very good eye and good idea.
Thanks, I was a bit weary of the dash cover, but at the end of the day, I am VERY satisfied with the job, and happy i chose to do this project.
Old 01-31-2006 | 05:12 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Nice!
Old 02-02-2006 | 11:15 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Just don't glue it!

As you can see the previous owner tried and glued and I don't mind telling you it warped big time and then when it came to remove it, it took a huge chunk of the dash out!(right above the instrument cluster) So I had to plunk that foam dash piece back down and put a new overlay...worked like a charm. Only problem I ever had was an occassional squeek on a hot summer day.
Old 02-02-2006 | 11:41 AM
H2
Addict
Rennlist Member

That dash cover money was money well spent. Looks great.

Harvey

Quick Reply: interior mod......w/ pics