Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much can you get for parting out a 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 06:59 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much can you get for parting out a 944

my friend and i are looking to buy this 944 and part it out...its complete, and an early model (early interior) 2.5l

how much do you think i could get for it, for stripping it, im trying to see if it will be worth the purchase
Old 01-25-2006, 07:23 PM
blgdaddy
Advanced

Is it wrecked? If not why would you part it out?
Old 01-25-2006, 08:02 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

not wrecked...but not in great shape, would need alot more than its worth to be a DD again
Old 01-25-2006, 08:03 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

depends on what parts you have and what shape their in. MOst people wont pay much for early int. parts, more want the later stuff...If it runs you can get most your money from the engine but only if its in good condition. I wouldnt pay much or youll kill your profits.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:43 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

ok...ill put it this way, do you think i could make more than 500?
Old 01-25-2006, 10:18 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bought a 924s off of ebay for $500. and drove out a ways to get it home. The motor was inop and there was no head, intake airbox etc. I had most of the parts sold before i took the car apart, but then again i may have gotten lucky. Sold the headliner and panels as a set. Sold all the gauges separate, some to 914 guys, some on here and some pieces to the 924.org guys like the suspension w/ five lug "upgrade" for those w/ four luggers real cheap. Not including the $400 cash i found in the consule, i made about $800- Of course had i not found the cash that only makes about $300 profit minus gas and labor and sawzaw blades. It was a good time and we got plenty of extra parts for Erins car and some other people benefited as well. I would say unless you need some parts from the car , parting one is not necessary. The one i parted was GOING to be put back together but after i found the two inches of bondo in the quarter and the really suspicious title transactions, i decided it needed to die.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2006, 10:22 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by I love porsche
ok...ill put it this way, do you think i could make more than 500?
Depending on what you pay for the car, and what parts you can sell, you could make $500. It might take you several weeks or months to sell the parts, and by the time you spend the time to pull the parts, post them for sale, deal with payments from everyone and spend the time and money shipping the parts, you just might net yourself about $5.00 an hour for your time. Then you have to deal with getting rid of the rest of the car, or what the neighbors might say about having a "junk" car in your yard.

I'd say do this: Get the car for a reasonable amount of money. Fix the minor things to make it reliable. Flip it for a quick $100-$200 profit, or just point someone here who might be looking for a project car to it.

IMO it's not worth parting a car unless you already have buyers lined up for enough parts to earn back your initial investment plus a small profit for your time, or you have the time and space to pick up several of them and make a side business out of it.

One last thing - being an Porsche enthusiast I don't believe you should part a car just because it's rough, part it when it's wrecked to the point it can't be repaired.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:36 AM
WhoDak
Instructor

Originally Posted by xsboost90
...and some pieces to the 924.org guys like the suspension w/ five lug "upgrade" for those w/ four luggers real cheap...
That was me! That was a great deal by the way, it was a pleasure doing business with you and got my car a new upgrade .
Old 01-26-2006, 01:08 AM
tod84944
Drifting

I feel that I can add something here.....all the suggestions giving here are very correct. Yes, I do part out cars, but I also have a lot of repeat business. No, I will not part out a car because it is rough. I usually have enough parts to put it back pretty decent, and sell it. It is a lot easier to replace parts and get one back decent than to take one apart. Yes, I do part out the wrecked ones, why..... most of the time, I know I can sell the parts pretty quick (repeat business), and usually, I need some of the parts, or some of you guys are needing them. One thing that was not metioned here. Boxing up the parts and shipping them out. You have to chase down boxes and packing material, and tape. Then you have to spend time getting everything boxed up and shipped out. Being that I do this on a regular thing, I already have all that lined up.
Want to part a car and make some money, find a wrecked 951, or if not a 951 a 88 924S. A early 944, spend a little, and put some TLC in it, sell it. In the long run, you will make more money, less work.
Example.....
84 944. Coppenhagen blue, tan moldy interior. Dosen't run. Most folks would say part it. Me, NO WAY. Replaced the ugly tan, brown, and mold interior with a all black interior out of a 924S parts car that had like new carpet. Put a new air-meter on it, done a few things to the engine,(already had a new clutch), new belts,rollers and water pump. Put 86 951 front and rear sways and front springs. Painted a set of nasty looking Fuchs with matching centers. Wet sanded and buffed. Car turned out to be one of the nicest and best looking early 944's around. Cost inlcuding the car, not a whole lot, all of the parts came off of parts cars that long ago paid for!!! I spent a couple of weeks replacing stuff, and made a hell of lot more after the sell than I would have parting it out. Once the engine and tranny are sold out of a early car, not much left.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:11 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I know exactly what car your talking about. I would NEVER part that. I'm looking into it myself (to drive)
Old 01-26-2006, 11:20 AM
nickg
Three Wheelin'

it all boils down to how much money your time is worth. I have parted out about 150 porsches, I can tell you that early 944's are kinda rough to make any $ on. I have 2 944 turbos for like 5 years and i don't think that i can make any $ by parting them so they just sit and rot...if i can't get 100 an hour(time spent and profit) for my work, it isn't worth it to me anymore to work outside in the cold. if the car has fuchs...they are worth the $ on the car btw, but honestly you need to look at the car for it's own merits..the used body parts market is nowhere even close to what it was 5 years ago for these.

Quick Reply: how much can you get for parting out a 944