Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help:Broken Key in ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help:Broken Key in ignition

I have the broken piece inside the ignition cylinder. The car can start with the other half.

How do I get the broken piece out? The cylinder has a spring loaded cover and its been difficult using locksmith pins.

You guys think a professional locksmith can get it out with out breaking the bank?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:44 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

What do you mean it has a cover? Like a door that slides in front of the hole?

If so, no idea on how to get it out.

I was going to suggest trying to glue a small piece of strip to the key (preferably metal), and just wait, then see if it'll slide out all the way, or enough to get it with needle nose.

JB Quick Weld might do the trick best, or a dab of 5 minute epoxy. Thing is, gotta get through the door first...

how'd you break it?
Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

I dont know how it broke..........The bear got me (signature)

I'll try the JB weld or epoxy. and yes it has a door that slides in front of the hole. Its such a PITA
Old 01-22-2006, 10:59 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah... I did that once when I worked at the Porsche dealer... did it on a 911... customer en route, called him up, said, "go home, we've gotta make a new key for you... it'll be ready tomorrow morning."

the tech used a couple mechanic's picks to get it out... it was my first day working there... and since that day, the tech never liked me, because he was on his way out for the day...
Old 01-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Dam where is the tech so i can take the car to him?
Old 01-23-2006, 12:34 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

he's in California somewhere now... left about 8 months after I got there... better offer...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:44 AM
BigNNasty
Racer

What you MIGHT try, just long enough to hold the door open, is to smear thick grease on it while it is covering the hole. Get a needle (sewing needle, t-pin, something of this size), slide the door to open and the grease should help in holding it, this shall give you enough time to get your JR Weld Tipped piece in to get stuck on the key.

Super glue might be a better bet for you, as it'll dry a little faster so you don't have to wait on epoxy or JB Weld...
Old 01-23-2006, 01:00 AM
badcoupe
Three Wheelin'

second the grease comment. put it on the sides of the key that that put glue to this way if it comes off the the grease will keep it from adhereing to the tumblers. plus if you put it on the key it can't contact the glue on the tip to neutralize it. I have some pics in my set that are hooked as key removers never had to use one yet. since you can still turn the cylinder I would remove it and take it a locksmith that way they can remove it on their bench as opposed to you car which will make it much easier and cheaper for you!
Old 01-23-2006, 01:04 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That made no sense as the key is broken in the ignition. Do you have an early or late car? A professional locksmith can locate the retaining clip inside your ignition lock assembly after drilling a hole in the body and removing the entire cylinder/tumbler assembly. Its gonna cost you a bit though 85/1 cars are easier to work on than 85/2 cars. You figure taking the steering wheel off to take the plastic covers off to drill will take me about 30 minutes and I have done it many a times to rekey all locks to one key. A locksmith who is not familiar with VW or 944s will take longer.
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 AM
Drifting STi
Instructor

Legoland, I have an early car. what a nightnare this is going to be for me.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:16 PM
Drifting STi
Instructor

OKay. broke down and called a locksmith $65 dollars +sales tax later. I have two spares and the broken piece is out.

Soon you guys will see Pics of her on ebay and on the "for sale" thread. It's been lots of fun having her, but its time for good bye.

Quick Reply: Help:Broken Key in ignition