Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:18 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I am pretty open to anything mod/conversion wise- just as long as its done clean and done correctly. Its always to each his own. I hate hack jobs regardless of whether the car is sporting a Porsche motor or not.
Well said and I agree with you
Old 01-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’m trying to figure out why a 1.8T or VR6 hasn’t made its way into a 944.
I am about 99% sure that both of those VW engines would be too tall to bolt in the 944/951, it would require a different hood.

For that matter a 1.8T in a 924 would be a great daily driver. Great chassis, light, nimble and the 1.8T might be the best match of engine and turbo ever created.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:26 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I guess I didn't realize the 1.8T was so tall, interesting. Is it because you would probably have to mount the motor straight up vs the angle a 944 motor is at?

How about a 500hp Audi 20V 5-cyl engine in a 944. That would be awesome! There is a guy on the east coast who dropped an Audi 32V A8 motor into a 1990 Audi Coupe Quattro. I wonder if that engine would fit in the 944?

Then there is the ultra rare Porsche built Audi 4-cyl turbo used in the Coupe Quattro RS.

If I win the lottery, I'm going to buld an army of Audi / VW powered 944's.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

The 1.8 is one of the tallest engines I have seen. It MIGHT fit, but I doubt it, never really measured. The way it mounts to the frame would be the first obstacle to getting it to fit.

If you look at the Mk1 conversion that someone put a 2.5NA in, you will notice there is a TON of room between the engine and hood.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:33 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
So why is a Porsche with a chevy motor taboo, but a porsche with a motor that is bored out, with different rods, pistons, turbo, brakes, shocks, etc. the holy grail?
By replying to this statement I am assuming that everyone agrees that it is a "taboo", and I believe everyone does, even if most of the people who have replied so far have no problems with the conversion.

Now to answer your question; I think it's pretty simple. When people do the engine bore, rods, pistons, turbo, brakes, shocks, etc type of mods they are imaging what Porsche may have done had they had the chance to build a one-off improved version of their said Porsche. Now, I think we can all agree that Porsche will never manufacture a factory model with a Chevy engine (I'm imagining all the people on some distant Mercedes board that said Mercedes would never manufacture a factory model with a Chrysler engine but... I digress).

So anyway, isn't it simple enough? It's "taboo" because it's entirely and profoundly creative and unique. It doesn't come anywhere close to reality in terms of what Porsche would ever do to one of their factory models. So it is a "bastardization", if you look at it that way.

Now in terms of the technical skill, and creative effort needed to pull off these mods, thats an entirely different issue. But if you're asking why these 2 types of mods are looked upon differently by "enthusiasts" then I think the answer is clear.

BTW I'm proud of you Tom, you made a post without degrading the 944 in any way. What's going on?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Now, I think we can all agree that Porsche will never manufacture a factory model with a Chevy engine
Careful, 928s had a variant of a Ford 302
Old 01-13-2006, 12:41 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Operator
By replying to this statement I am assuming that everyone agrees that it is a "taboo", and I believe everyone does, even if most of the people who have replied so far have no problems with the conversion.

Now to answer your question; I think it's pretty simple. When people do the engine bore, rods, pistons, turbo, brakes, shocks, etc type of mods they are imaging what Porsche may have done had they had the chance to build a one-off improved version of their said Porsche. Now, I think we can all agree that Porsche will never manufacture a factory model with a Chevy engine (I'm imagining all the people on some distant Mercedes board that said Mercedes would never manufacture a factory model with a Chrysler engine but... I digress).

So anyway, isn't it simple enough? It's "taboo" because it's entirely and profoundly creative and unique. It doesn't come anywhere close to reality in terms of what Porsche would ever do to one of their factory models. So it is a "bastardization", if you look at it that way.

Now in terms of the technical skill, and creative effort needed to pull off these mods, thats an entirely different issue. But if you're asking why these 2 types of mods are looked upon differently by "enthusiasts" then I think the answer is clear.

BTW I'm proud of you Tom, you made a post without degrading the 944 in any way. What's going on?
Simon,
by "taboo" i was referring to the consensus of this board.

As to your thought that porsche would never build a car with a chevy motor, both porsche and mercedes built many cars with chevy transmissions, and i read somewhere that porsche bought a bunch of chevys when the designed the 928 V8, of which we half the better half.

I never bash the 944, i merely point out that is is not the be all and end all of automobiles ever produced.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:47 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, as long as the swap is done well, and is a nice professional job, I think they're wonderful.
When the motor in my 951 finally eats itself and gives up for good, I plan to drop in an aluminum small block 350, or maybe a LS1. I see no point in spending $20,000 building up a 3.0+L turbo I4, then I could drop in a V8 with the same power, for $10k less. Plus, the V8 will not have the timing belt issues, and will have a much better torque curve.
Sorry, but as soon as you do any work to the engine in your car, boring, aftermarket pistons, etc. It's no longer a porsche motor in my books either. So, why not go all the way. You know, go big or go home
Old 01-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A 944 is by definition a bastard/hybrid Porsche.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:55 PM
Operator
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is quite one thing when Porsche takes a Chevy V8 and models their own V8 after it. Don't the Japanese do this with just about everything they used to produce? But it is another to say that Porsche would become a customer of GM's to source it's next power-plant. I just don't think this will ever happen.

About the transmissions, I had never heard of that, can you tell me a little more about it?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Zero10
I see no point in spending $20,000 building up a 3.0+L turbo I4, then I could drop in a V8 with the same power, for $10k less. Plus, the V8 will not have the timing belt issues, and will have a much better torque curve.
Sorry, but as soon as you do any work to the engine in your car, boring, aftermarket pistons, etc. It's no longer a porsche motor in my books either. So, why not go all the way. You know, go big or go home
others on this board will disagree and will hail you if you built a 20k I4, but flame you if you dropped a chevy in the car. thats why i asked the question. what is the difference.

simon,
the turbo hydramatic was used in a lot of german cars in the 70s 80s. porsche also designed the harley motor i believe, and there is a lot more part swapping between the brands than you would believe.

the original motor in the 924 was i believe a chrysler 4. i think it was the same motor that was in the pacer and the dodge omni. which means the 924 was a bastard to begin with. thanks lego.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's something to think about.

In the late 80's Porsche was actually testing 2 different 6cyl powerplants from 2 OTHER manufacturers for the 944 series cars.

Props go out to the Rennlister who can tell me the two companies.

Taking that into consideration, would opinions here be different as to what Porsche would or would not do?
Old 01-13-2006, 01:15 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Porsche designed the jugs for the Harley engines, that is the extent of the relationship AFAIK. Jug design makes a ton of sense. Go to the best Aircooled car manufacturer to get ideas for a bike, perfectly reasonable.

If Porsche could have manufactured some of the Honda reliability into the 951 I would be okay with that.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Matt H
Porsche designed the jugs for the Harley engines, that is the extent of the relationship AFAIK. Jug design makes a ton of sense. Go to the best Aircooled car manufacturer to get ideas for a bike, perfectly reasonable.

If Porsche could have manufactured some of the Honda reliability into the 951 I would be okay with that.
i read an autoweek article about the time the boxster came out and porsche was almost bankrupt that said something about porsche making more money from R&D for other companies than from making cars.

if porsche put honda reliability in a 951 this thread wouldnt exist because everyone nobody would need to replace anything.

tifo,
i guess nissans V6 as one and probably something from alfa or renault.
Old 01-13-2006, 01:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.

tifo,
i guess nissans V6 as one and probably something from alfa or renault.
NOPE!

Quick Reply: Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is