Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 06:34 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
No silly, GTO doesnt stand for gas tires and oil.

It stands for "GetThoseOrders". Everyone knows that.

Mr. Wangers himself told me that. And if anyone should know, Mr. Wangers should know.
Mr. Wangers must be a complete dumbass like yourself if you really do think thats it...

Howa 'bout...

Gran Turismo Omalagotto

hmm...interesting...

(sp might be wrong on that last word...)
Old 01-14-2006, 06:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BigNNasty
Mr. Wangers must be a complete dumbass like yourself if you really do think thats it...

Howa 'bout...

Gran Turismo Omalagotto

hmm...interesting...

(sp might be wrong on that last word...)
if you really think Tom does believe that then...Ahh forget it.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

Never know...
Old 01-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
if you really think Tom does believe that then...Ahh forget it.
Way back, waay baaaack before LilNSweet's parents even knew one another I was at a POCI convention. It was the POCI convention in Gettysburg (i think) Pennsylvania. It was maybe 1980, Im not sure.

the keynote speaker at the dinner was Jim Wangers. Mr. Wangers presented a slideshow while he chronicled the GTO. He showed us advertisements that never made it to production, advertisements that did. how he got around GMs mandates, how he "leaked" to the press when either mickey or peter got arrested for driving the monkeymobile down sunset at a crazy speed.

he told us about "John". Not Johnny, not Mr. DeLorean, just John, and how he and John stuffed this big motor in a little grocery getter. How they made it a little option code buried in a myriad of option codes. How checking that box got a 389...... He then told us that the night the order forms were printed they needed a name for the option. and how GTO came about.

but what do i know anyway!!

i know the italians called it grand touring homolgation. but thats italian, not english.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:47 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

First off, you do not know the age of my parents, and they did know each other at this time...

Secondly, it is just some tale made up to make you laugh...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:18 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

now back to our regular scheduled program about bastards before a ....

As i posted earlier before LilNSweet decided to remind me how dumb i am (is this kid trying to replace my wife?)

I was a FarnbacherLoles racing today with the local PCA.

That is a Cayman with an X51 405hp motor, a third radiator in the front and 911 fenders/headlights.

I was talking to Bob Slausen about the car. For about 100k you will get a Cayman with the X51 or the 350hp 3.8, ceramic brakes, and the 911 nose. that will possibly be the best all around porsche ever. not to ever leave the factory because it is a bastard, but to use all factory parts, i mean if it was built like the factory would..... see there is no definiton. why not just put a 400hp 951 motor in there, or a chevy V8? Detomaso did it with the pantera and ford.

C&D will be doing a piece on the car.

Here is the link to all 40 shots we took today

Farnbacher Picture Link
Old 01-15-2006, 10:29 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I didn't read the past four pages, so forgive me if we've gone off-track...

Personally, I don't care what someone does to their car, provided it's done well and isn't a manace to others. I always respect a job well-done, even if I don't like what they did. And yes, I'll even give that credit to a horribly riced-out car.

Along those lines, while I personally wouldn't put a V8 into a 944 or whatever, I have absolutely no problems with those who do. We all like to modify our cars to suit our tastes, and who's to say that my suspension mods are more valid than a V8 swap? I sure as hell won't, nor will I believe that the car is somehow "lessor" than my own.

And I also will never want to drive a V8 944. But that's only because I know that it'll make me want one.

Anywho, when I get rich and famous, I plan on installing a 951 engine into a 3rd generation Camaro. This way, I can **** of two groups of fanboys at the same time!

Edit: Oh, Tom, to answer your question directly, I really see no difference between why one approach is acceptable and yet the other is not.

Edit 2: It didn't occur to me how we get upset about being snubbed by the 911 owners but turn around and snub the hybrid owners. I was too busy thinking about how we get upset about being snubbed by the 911 owners but turn around and snub the Cayenne owners.

BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 01-15-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 01:59 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,236 Posts

I was a FarnbacherLoles racing today with the local PCA.

That is a Cayman with an X51 405hp motor, a third radiator in the front and 911 fenders/headlights.

I was talking to Bob Slausen about the car. For about 100k you will get a Cayman with the X51 or the 350hp 3.8, ceramic brakes, and the 911 nose. that will possibly be the best all around porsche ever. not to ever leave the factory because it is a bastard, but to use all factory parts, i mean if it was built like the factory would..... see there is no definiton. why not just put a 400hp 951 motor in there, or a chevy V8? Detomaso did it with the pantera and ford.

C&D will be doing a piece on the car.

Here is the link to all 40 shots we took today

Farnbacher Picture Link
I hope there are more pictures from that visit you have not uploaded. I mean, out of every car there, the most significant one you only take two pictures of? You’re killing me here!! That Shell 962 would walk away from the CGT – some may argue this, they didn’t witness a vintage 962 catch up and pass both Champion Audi R8’s at Road America in 2003. Both Audi’s were turning lap speeds equivalent to the American LeMans race, so it was not a “test session” as some may try to point out.

More pics of the 962 please.

Ah screw it, here is one of the many I have from that event:

(to be honest, I cannot remember which 962 in this group caught both R8's, I'm pretty sure it was not the Shell car. There were multiple 962's running)
Old 01-15-2006, 11:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sorry Hacker, those were the only two pictures. But dont lose hope. I am sure www.metronypca.org will have pictures from the event posted soon.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:21 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Swapping in a motor that produces less hp per cubic inch than stock reguardless of displacement.

BTW, the AC Cobra was an american car designed and built by Carrol Shelby. He first went to Chevrolet for a powerplant, they refused and didn't want thier own power competing against the Corvette. Shelby then chose ford as second choice.

Hacker, pretty much all of the cars on that list were built by chassis designers, not car companies, they didn't have their own power plants and they planned to have power by other means from the start.

A Porsche deserves a crisp european exhaust note, That's what it is. If you need more than 1600hp, then go to Chevy or others, besides that Porsche has already achived those numbers if not better.

I'm slightly biased. I'd say Porsche gave us enough to work with, why do something immoral, lol.

I saw that 3.6L TT in a 944, that's ok by me.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:29 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I agree with sam on this one. Doesn't bother me, what does is when people tell me thats what I should do to my car. Or thats how it should of been done.

If i wanted an american V8 (or anything else for that matter) thats what I would of bought. So stop trying to presuade me to putting something else into MY car.

FWIW, My co-worker has a 83 N/A with a LT1 in it. Its decent, but has been setting for a while.. one of these days i'll drive it.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:04 AM
944-LT1
Racer

BTW, the AC Cobra was an american car designed and built by Carrol Shelby. He first went to Chevrolet for a powerplant, they refused and didn't want thier own power competing against the Corvette. Shelby then chose ford as second choice.
Uhh....

"September 1961.
When AC Cars of Thames Ditton, England, loses the source for its six-cylinder Bristol engine for its two-seat roadster, Carroll Shelby airmails a letter of proposal to the company to keep building the chassis for a special Shelby sports car to be powered by an American V8. As yet, he knows nothing of a new lightweight, thinwall-cast, small-block Ford V8.

October 1961.
Charles Hurlock, owner of AC Cars, returns Shelby's letter, stating he would be interested in Shelby's plan as long as a suitable engine replacement could be found in the States. The same month, Shelby finds out about the new 221-cube Ford small-block and dispatches a letter to Dave Evans explaining his idea for a sports car and his need for a V8.

Februari 1962.
The first 260 Roadster, minus engine and transmission, is air fraighted on February 2, 1962, to Shelby's shop in Southern California. Carroll has a dream revealing to him the name Cobra appearing on the front of his car. In Carroll's words, "I woke up and jotted the name down on a pad which I kept by my bedside-a sort of ideas pad- and went back to sleep. Next morning when I looked at the name 'Cobra,' I knew it was right." In less than eight hours, a 260 HiPo and Borg-Warner four-speed are installed and Shelby and friend Dean Moon test drive the new Cobra, looking to balt Corvettes, but none are found."
Old 01-16-2006, 04:18 AM
944SuperCar
Advanced

a bunch of us rennlisters meet up once or twice a year at a place that has horrible chili dogs by the meadowlands. i will pm you when the next one gets posted.

im going to farnbacher loles racing with PCA tomorrow. it should be a real interesting day

your in the middle. my australian monaro has a canadian motor and american tires with a pontiac badge
If it's a working machine that is a "hoot" to drive then I'm all for it no matter what the mechanics if the machine are like.
It would be fun to attend a get together. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Last edited by 944SuperCar; 01-16-2006 at 04:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:23 AM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by TheMAXX
I live in Fairfield just south of the train station and I have an 84 944 n/a. I have thought that if the engine went I would consider the V8 swap. I would love to see your car some time. Many years ago I put a V8 into a Vega station wagon. That was not a good mating although it did fit in there very well. It was not a very drivable car.

Kevin Maxwell
Mine's an '83 (as my profile might state) though most of the mechanical parts are now new. The current ice/snow storm has it grounded but I do some work in Fairfield and I wouldn’t mind showing you the car, it’s a crazy machine. I'll PM you some contact info.

Last edited by 944SuperCar; 01-16-2006 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:41 AM
944SuperCar
Advanced

Originally Posted by ehall
Very mature attitude now, and almost every other time he posts. It's not the car pal, it's the guy in it that people don't respect.
You like Hunter's views on the world?
... OT, rhetorical.

Quick Reply: Please define what a hybrid/bastard porsche is