Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Model Builders: Who here has built their own 1:24 model 951?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 10:39 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Model Builders: Who here has built their own 1:24 model 951?

I've had this Revell kit for a few months and I think Santa is going to bring some model paint and kit building supplies... I can't wait to start putting it together! I'm planning on spending a lot of time on this as it's my first model, but my Dad has built quite a few so he can help me get the hang of painting. I'm also curious if there are alternate wheels available, like some Cup 2's Any tips or tricks to building this kit? Anyone have pictures of your finished/unfinished products?

My Shell still in the packaging:
Attached Images  
Old 12-12-2005, 10:44 PM
yellowline
Under the Radar
Rennlist Member

Used to build them when I was about 10. Never was able to get the suspensions right. Engines usually come first, easy enough. Then suspension, then interior. Then you need 3 hands to keep everything together as you put together the subassemblies.

Go with a spray can for as much as you can paint with it. It works like a normal rattle can, just keep a window open if you're indoors. I sucked with the glass jar enamel paints, to the point where my parents took them from me...can't help you there.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:04 PM
Wade B
Cleveland Rocks
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I won that same model kit at the 'Fest last year, and I do plan to build it sometime in the future.
When I opened it up, I saw some things that I was going to do to it before considering painting the body.

The scale on some things just looks a little odd, kinda' boxy, but since there aren't a lot of 944 kits out there, what can you do? But the "A" pillars look a little thick on the car, so I plan to file them down a bit to make them look more correct.
One other thing, if you haven't built a lot of models.......most model spray paints are very thin and run very easily. They can take some practice to get it right. Myself, I never use model spray paint. I'll find a color I like in a regular higher quality, high gloss enamel, or even clear, and use that. Much easier to work with.
And if you REALLY want to get **** about it and you want factory colors, go to PPG Paints website and you can get cans of factory colors in enamel and urethane.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hahah I have the very same kit.

a buddy of mine it making it for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Imagine what a can of color-matched would do....
Old 12-12-2005, 11:11 PM
IMB951
Drifting

Thanks for the insight guys. I also plan on tweaking the color scheme up a bit when I'm painting it. Just little things like all red taillights, and I will just not paint the turn signals because they look better clear IMO. I just hope I can make it look right when I paint the body black.

I was overwhelmed when I saw the plethora of little parts and how detailed they all are!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM
BigNNasty
Racer

I used to be into models heavily, and would compete a lot.

I never even knew what a 944 was though when I was into models 2-3 years ago. I was pretty good. Heartland Nationals Junior Champion. Now, you may think of some crap car, thrown together, that was JUST barely better then the others, but not the case. My models were good enough to compete with most adults, mind you, I was around 12-13. I built tons of cars, mostly old muscle, and low riders were always fun, as you could go crazy with bare metal foil. I use bottle paints for all my small items, such as motor and all of the suspension work, then rattle cans for interior bay, body, frame and larger peices. Bottle paints can turn out good, if you have a lot of practice and a good brush, you can get good results. Using a brush on small things works so good, for the fact their small, and most brush strokes won't be noticeable. I built a 1/12 scale 67 vette, and where I painted the valve covers, you can see the strokes, due to how big the valve covers actually are.

I wouldn't mind doing a 951, to resemble the car I want to find out there for me. I might have to check the bay for one, and get started over x-mas break. I wish they had a 1/16 or 1/12 car, that Tamiya made. It would cost like 60 bucks, but I wouldn't mind.

I'm sure you can pick up a boxster kit somewhere and steal the wheels and tires from it, other then that, I don't know of any other parts you can use from different kits on your car.

Once you start your car, keep us updated on the progress of it!!!

Good luck!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:39 PM
Gear Dog
Instructor

do a search for brian's model cars he has a few good write ups on modeling. If this is your first model I would say go to walmart and pick up a cheap kit to practice on. better to make a mistake on something else than such a nice kit. This site doesn't have cups but you have choices other than the phone dials. If you want to sell the phone dials I know there is a guy on vortex looking to buy a set.

Most of the tools you might already have on hand. A a hobby knife, small set of wire cutters,tweasers, sandpaper are just a few items. I also use super glue for a lot of the parts just because I'm impatient. If you go that route don't use it on the clear plastic because it will cloud it.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:50 PM
jgporsche
Drifting

I am off and on with models. I have been putting together a '69 Shelby GT500. But, I started it 2 months ago. I painted Metallic Black (which is basically gloss black with silver that was sprayed above it). I actually almost bought that same 951 model online but at $27 plus shipping, it's hardly a bargain. Most models will run you $10 at the most.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:27 AM
special tool
Banned

I have the Testors master 951 cabriolet kit that I built about 10 years ago.

Its a nice kit.
My cleaning lady dumped it off my desk and broke the mirrors off of it so now I have to fix it. I am looking for some early VW or cup mirrors because I would like to mod it a little.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:07 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Where can 951 models be bought online and who makes the best quality kit?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:45 AM
special tool
Banned

Tamiya
Old 12-13-2005, 11:01 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by special tool
Tamiya

No 944 on their website.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:03 AM
chilix
Instructor

I have this model about half done...for the body I would use a spray can to paint or airbrush so the coat will be smooth...if it were a military airplane, i'd tell you to hand paint to give texture...this is an easy and hard model to build...if you want it to look right you have to take your time...i painted mine with burgundy interior and charcoal grey exterior. The interior you will have to trim up some parts to make them all fit nice and tight. Don't forget to back the tail lights with silver if you use a transparent paint to tint them...the silver will make them look reflective almost...same with the front fog lights, paint the backs with silver. If I had a camera I'd share photos...

have fun with the kit, it looks nice when you are almost done...if it is your first model, get some cheap monogram car model first to perfect your glueing and painting, you don't want to mess up the 951...I've been building models since I was 6 years old and it now seems to take me at least a year to complete a model...I have a 993 cup car that i've been working on for over 2 years

oh yeah, the wheels turn too...i just wish Hasegawa made a 944 model...those are the highest quality models I've ever built and having a 944 N/A model would be killer...I have an old hasegawa Messerschimitt Bf109G-6 R4 night fighter that I built 3 years ago...it looks killer, i need a 1:48 lancaster to complete the collection

remember, take your time and paint all parts before you put them together and don't go sloppy on the glue, a dab is enough...never be afraid to ask a question...i'm thinking of getting another 951 model
Old 12-13-2005, 11:54 AM
924Superwagen
Burning Brakes

Oh man... don't get me going. I haven't touched one in a few years. I think the last one I did was 8 years ago (1967 Shelby GT350), but I have a Revell 911 GT1 sitting around unassembled. I'm going to try to find a 24/44/68 to assemble as well.

edit: Also, I haven't built a Fujimi kit yet... any comments from those who have?

Last edited by 924Superwagen; 12-13-2005 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Model Builders: Who here has built their own 1:24 model 951?