Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cone filter for 1991 944 S2

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Fishey - how are your CV joints holding up at the drag strip, BTW?

-Z-man.
They have held up great not a single problem. I did replace them a year ago but I kept the originals becuase they where still in such good condition I could not throw them away.. Also, since I have started draging the car I have had not a single problem with the Trans/Clutch/Axels/Etc... but I do not shift the car very hard and I launch at the expense of the clutch not the gearbox.. Also I really never go to the drag strip unless I want to test a new upgrade and see if there was any gain...
Old 10-26-2005, 09:29 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
It is in the link i posted. I told you I didnt lease it because it was fast. i leased it because i got an awesome deal, and because it is such a nice car. now be honest, which is a better daily driver, your modded volvo or your buddys bone stock GTO? The real question is which is more stealth? That is a tough one, kinda like asking which of cinderellas step sisters was uglier.
honestly, my car is 10 years old.. the GTO is new, if i could have the choice between my car brand new and the GTO i would pick my car.. "around the same price retail at the time" only because of mileage variances, even though its a volvo it still needs to be properly maintained such as any car.

Im sure you'd like my car too once you took a ride in it, the reactions i get from people are priceless, any car can be made fast, the question is do i want to be some idiot that buys a fast car straight up, or be someone with an otherwise thought of "slow car" to put those idiots to shame ?

oh.. and i got 4 doors and can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back when folding the backseats down.. can the goat do that ?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He he - putting on my devil's advocate suit...

Originally Posted by volv4life
Im sure you'd like my car too once you took a ride in it, the reactions i get from people are priceless, any car can be made fast, the question is do i want to be some idiot that buys a fast car straight up, or be someone with an otherwise thought of "slow car" to put those idiots to shame ?
Some people prefer to get a powerful car right out of the box. That does not make them an idiot. Some people just have the money up front to pay for hp, and they do. Others may have the same $$, but prefer to go a route where the money is spent over a longer period of time. Neither are idiots - both have a different purpose/goal in mind.
oh.. and i got 4 doors and can fit a 4x8 piece of plywood in the back when folding the backseats down.. can the goat do that ?
Please PLEASE don't tell me your Volvo's a station wagon!!!!! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

-Z-man.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:41 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

The local radio station where I live has an annual raffle where they get donated parts and services to completely restore a classic muscle car. All the ticket monies go to the foundation for children leukemia charity.

First year was a 69 Mustang, last year was a Roadrunner, and this year, a 69 GTO convertible. Really nice restorations, the cars could easily just land in the concourse events.

Since this year was the year of the GTO, the GM North American sales president, or some other executive at that level, donated an 05 GTO to be awarded to the raffle winner along with the 69 GTO.

When I heard about this, I immediately purchased 2 tickets. All I could figure was that I'd get two great cars. I figure that I would have sold the 69 GTO, 'cause what was I going to do with it? Drive it on the streets? No way! If I can't drive a car, what's the sense in having it? I'd also have sold the Grand Prix, and keep the 05 GTO for the winters, and the Porsche for the summers.

(Yea, he's a real loon, isn't he?)
Old 10-26-2005, 09:43 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by Fishey
As far as the Coolant passage bypass on the TB I too have bypassed it. Not sure of the gains but I do think its could really have a negitive impact on performance.
Please explain why you feel this 'mod' could have a negative impact on performance.

Thanks,
-Z.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:06 PM
volv4life
Pro

I think he meant stock it could have a negative impact on performance.

I didnt honestly mean every person is an idiot who goes out and buys a GTO, definately poor wording on my part, but average joe blow i think would be a better use for the example.

The car is not a wagon its a sedan lol, but to further argue the DD route though i'll take it a step further. My cars interior is all leather, the dash is wood grained, its a 12 speaker dolby prologic system, power everything, dual climate control, etc all standard on my particular model. the GTO is heavier, but after comparing blue book values my car new on the market was still 6-7k more than what pontiac is offering up today.. so i expect the features to be more dominant in the volvo, the volvo is FWD and does have a lack of a good LSD system, its also an automatic, but some may view that as a benefit when comparing Daily Drivers.. the FWD is an added benefit when weighing in drivability conditions in the snow and rain, sure you can argue that it comes down to the driver, but i honestly dont have to think when im driving the car, she still handles well enough since i've upgraded the suspenion "not like the boat she felt like before" and while driving in the snow the traction control system definately helps out, the LSD pretty much proves useless while going faster than 25 mph+ though.

fuel economy on my car is around 21-22 city, 28-30 highway after being modified... of course she acts just like a big V8 when i floor her and hit around 20 lbs of boost.

all of this being said, i dont really find a 2 door coupe all that appealing when considering a daily driver, if i were going to buy anything 2 door, it would be my sports car, not my utility vehicle. but too each their own.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Please explain why you feel this 'mod' could have a negative impact on performance.

Thanks,
-Z.

Umm, That was bad typing... I will correct it

I don't think it could have a negitive effect..
Old 10-27-2005, 09:43 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 106 Likes on 79 Posts

honestly, my car is 10 years old.. the GTO is new, if i could have the choice between my car brand new and the GTO i would pick my car.. "around the same price retail at the time" only because of mileage variances, even though its a volvo it still needs to be properly maintained such as any car.

so which model is it and what have you done to it?

My wife has a SUV, and my dad who lives nearby has a minivan for when I need to do a home depot run. plus my porsche has a hatch so trunk space was not an issue when i got the goat. plus the trunk is the perfect size. it is exactly the depth of a pizza box, and perfectly flat. easy on gas and pie is home with no cheese movement. A man has to have his priorities ya know.

so what model volvo do you have, and what mods did you do? a few years ago when we were car shopping we looked at used volvos (for her). I personally dont like four door cars as a daily driver. I have always had two doors, and if i had my way would always have two seaters. the back seat in the porsche was a concession when i got the car.

my cars interior is all leather, even the sides of the seats, then there is the alcantara suede in the doors and brushed aluminim trim. ten speaker blaupunct stereo with 6 disk in dash changer. I put a set of blizzaks on the car last winter and got through everything fine. if i lived a little further north, this may not be my dd, but for where i am it is fine. mine is a six speed which some may say is better and some may say is worse. fact is I paid 1000 more to get the six speed because I like shifting and downshifting. If i want an auto, i drive her car. variety is good. in fact because i like variety, i preferred to be the "idiot" you referred to above when it comes to cars, and spend my energies chasing (and sometimes pooning) tang.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:08 PM
volv4life
Pro

im in college, i know exactly where to exert all my energies lol ...

its a volvo 850, the T5 model..
currently engine wise its running a slightly larger turbo offered on the european versions of the car, along with higher boost via chip, a strengthened wastegate actuator and is in the process of getting fitted with 3" turboback exhaust... thats about it engine wise, i've done alot of suspension modding to improve driveability when i want to actually take it back roading.

honestly though, i wish it were a stick.. and will be swapping one in this winter while im on break, and you bet its getting a decent quaiffe unit when i have her apart, thats my only real qualms with the car, that and traction.. nothing like a 25 mph roll and being able to light up the tires all the way into and halfway through second.
Old 10-27-2005, 08:48 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

blah blah. i got bored after the fighting on page 4.
so i didnt read on.

my thinking: the 944 8V NA box is more like a huge chamber where the air can be sucked up instanly when the engine needs it. and since it has such a large volume. its able to refill in the spot where the air just got sucked in quite well. it also has ONE opening right in front of where the air needs to go. the afm.
if you stick a cone filter right on the afm. you have air coming in from all directions and getting slammed around right in front of the afm. also since its jsut sitting there and there is a wirling fan right underneath it from the alternator you have all kinds of crazy things going on f*cking up the ariflow.

now...moving onto the S2.
the S2's intake is quite different. it has a box that isnt very volumous and a nice straight path into the afm. im thinking the S2 box is more an engine saver/economy thing then a finely tuned performance part. it has a masively long filter for getting dust out of the ari. and it by NO means is a ram air AT ALL.
the opening is perpendicular to the air flow. no air is getting rammed into anything except the side of the box itself. it would be my geuss that if you got rid of the rubber boot that goes on the adapter thats on the afm. and made a nice radius with the longest pipe you could fit in there (with an ID of ...lets say...2-3/4"). with a scoop to help direct air into a medium sized air filter so it doesnt go flying around everywhere. then dynoed. and then cut the length to find where power was made. i think there would definatly be gains with an S2.

peace yo.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

im in college, i know exactly where to exert all my energies lol ...

its a volvo 850, the T5 model..
currently engine wise its running a slightly larger turbo offered on the european versions of the car, along with higher boost via chip, a strengthened wastegate actuator and is in the process of getting fitted with 3" turboback exhaust... thats about it engine wise, i've done alot of suspension modding to improve driveability when i want to actually take it back roading.

honestly though, i wish it were a stick.. and will be swapping one in this winter while im on break, and you bet its getting a decent quaiffe unit when i have her apart, thats my only real qualms with the car, that and traction.. nothing like a 25 mph roll and being able to light up the tires all the way into and halfway through second.
the accountant in me is coming out. how much did you pay for the car and how many miles did it have on it when you bought it. how much did you pay for improvements, parts, and labor. what do you think you can get for it after say three years? wanna see the difference in cost between an old porsche and old volvo.
Old 10-27-2005, 10:10 PM
SchnellerUmsetzer
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a VTX Inhaler on my 944 as well a big bore throttle body! I gave it away to my Porsche Mech. All it did was ad about 10 hp make the car suck gas and sound like one of those jap mobiles with the "fart" mufflers.
NO thanks
I chipped my 951 but I will do nothing more than put K&N normal filter in it! anything more than 65 is a ticket. My 951 will do 160 in a nothing flat I got nothing to prove to anybody!

Keine Japan Scheiße hier!
Old 10-27-2005, 10:34 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

YES!!! Volvo rules!! I wish I did buy a wagon though...
Attached Images  
Old 10-28-2005, 12:53 AM
volv4life
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom R.
the accountant in me is coming out. how much did you pay for the car and how many miles did it have on it when you bought it. how much did you pay for improvements, parts, and labor. what do you think you can get for it after say three years? wanna see the difference in cost between an old porsche and old volvo.
i paid 5k for it.. it had 115k on it, over all i've spent less than 2 grand on the car over the past 2 years of ownership, but this is considering mods along with maintenance costs.. i do all the work myself on the car, it presently has 165k on it, i rebuilt the bottom end of the engine due to spun rod bearings "car was starved of oil in its previous life." also i've changed the timing belt, so in all only around 200-300 dollars in actual hardcore maintenance, and then a couple extra hundred doing various miscellaneous things such as brakes etc.

I honestly think i could get around what i bought it for 2 years ago, as the going price seems to be roughly ~5k for the N/A's, and a turbo model is definately more desirable.

mods wise,

konis = ~450
springs = ~100
chip = ~250
sways = ~300
turbo = ~200
exhaust =~500
Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

i put down zero, in fact i got a $3000 check back from GM. payments are 284 * 35 - 3000 =6940 less 1640 in sales tax that goes to the next car = 5300 to drive a new car for three years, not have to do anything but a few oil changes and walk away. thats 147 a month and all i do is pay for gas and oil, and a set of used tires with 2/32 tread on them.

how much did it cost to rebuild the bottom end of the motor?

Quick Reply: cone filter for 1991 944 S2