Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cone filter for 1991 944 S2

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 AM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah, alot of the guys featured in that article are online friends of mine. the old school turbobricks guys are some of the ballsiest ghetto modding bunch of people i've ever met.

when fishey had his intake manifold apart just this past couple of weeks we determined that running coolant through the throttlebody was entirely stupid and im pretty sure he deleted it lol.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:08 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Well, you certainly havent' indicated that you do!

So come clean, Mr. Loving Fishey - do you, or have you autocrossed or tracked your car? And by track, I mean a road course like Mid-Ohio, Putnam Park, Watkins Glen...etc. By track, I don't mean that silly little 1/4 mile thingy.

Oh, and to keep this thread on track somewhat: there is a little known mod that you can do to the stock throttle body that may not give you much more hp, but it will definately send cooler air into the car. Allow me to explain:

You will notice that the throttle body of a 944S2 motor has a tube on either side of it. (Not sure of the 951 or 944 n/a's - I think they may have a similar setup). Coolant flows through those tubes. Why? To prevent the throttle body from sticking from frozen humidity that can deposit there in colder areas. IIRC, this condition is called icing. So they warm up the TB by flowing coolant through it to warm up that whole TB.

So, that's great for the winter, but in the summer time, the only thing that running coolant through the TB does is warms up the air a bit. Depending on how hot your car (and coolant) is running, this could be more than a few degrees.

When I was hunting down a coolant leak issue on my car (turned out to be the cracked head), my mechanics bypassed the TB from the coolant system. After my engine was put back together, I told them to keep the bypass on - I rarely drive my car in the winter, and if it gets the air a few degrees lower, why not? Probably good for a 1 horsepower gain. (But it's a BIG horse!!)

Here's a picture of the TB with the bypassed coolant hoses on top, and the 'ports' going into the TB capped off with red caps:

-Z-man.
-Z-man does a oval track with a interior road course count? If not then I would have to say No. I do plan a few DE's next year at Putnum and Mid-Ohio. As far as doing AutoX I did two last year with Volvo4Life, GreenM3ance, and a few other friends. To tell you the truth though I really don't see myself as a driver and really enjoy working on the car more then driving it. (Weird eh?). So given the choice of spending $300 on a driving school or spending $300 on parts that I can install. I tend to pick the parts.

As far as the Coolant passage bypass on the TB I too have bypassed it. Not sure of the gains but I don't think it could really have a negitive impact on performance.

Last edited by Fishey; 10-26-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 AM
Makis
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eohrnberger
OK. I understand. Thanks for the explanation.

So even if I didn't do anything to my car, i.e. airbox / CAI or cat removal, my car would benefit from running a little richer at full throttle, especially at DE events, where it's full throttle, full brake entering the corner, and then full throttle again mid way through the corner to exit it.
With no mods that allow more air in the engine then standard the standard fuel maps are already richer for optimal power. Making them even more rich is likely to loose you power and waste fuel. More fuel will be needed only if you can get in more air. I expect porsche to be slightly conservative in their fuel maps to cater for good running of average condition cars. If your engine is in good condition and flows air well you may still benefit from some more richer condition.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:03 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

So what have we learned here today?

1. Zoltan and Tom autocross their S2s, albeit Tom is less than moderately successful at low times, but very successful at smokey donuts.
2. Fishey enjoys working on cars more than driving them. Fair enough, I was the same when I was his age and was "restoring" the Firebird. tinkering is good. Although some purists that get upset about V8s in Porsches may get upset about tinkering. But this isnt a thread about purists, and this leads into the next thing we all learned.
2. All this spanking and raping trash talk is just that, trash talk with nothing to back it up (while I havent taken my GTO or S2 to any quarter strip, enough GTO owners have to give me a range against what I am told will spank me).
3. Tom cant count and is too lazy to edit.
4. Zoltan doesnt know American plastic from rebadged Australian plastic. It is plastic fantastic Holden Mr. Beetle Bailey (if your wife's name really is Bailey I will pee myself)
5. Nobody knows if Jeremy is going to put the money he saved on car insurance into the car or into another bathroom. Enquiring minds wanna know.
Old 10-26-2005, 09:38 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
5. Nobody knows if Jeremy is going to put the money he saved on car insurance into the car or into another bathroom. Enquiring minds wanna know.
I'm thinking of investing it. I just got a tip on a small company that has a revolutionary new product that shows promise. I think that if I can get some stock now, it will skyrocket and then I can tell my boss that I quit and walk out.

I got a fax about it this morning outlining everything, it was from a respectable-sounding business called "Investors Fax News". I just need to send them some good-faith money upfront.

Here is a picture of the product, if you are interested, better act now.............

Old 10-26-2005, 10:35 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Tom, I belive Volvo4lifes best run is a 13.X( I think its a 13.5 but not 100%)@109 on Grand American Turbo Tires. With any decent tire he should be in the low 13's maybe high 12's. My best is a 13.3@108 in my S2 on the last run before I tore it back apart and next year it should be even stronger.

My best run on 50shot was a 13.7@105.5 (Slippery day)
Old 10-26-2005, 10:42 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Fishey
Tom, I belive Volvo4lifes best run is a 13.X( I think its a 13.5 but not 100%)@109 on Grand American Turbo Tires. With any decent tire he should be in the low 13's maybe high 12's. My best is a 13.3@108 in my S2 on the last run before I tore it back apart and next year it should be even stronger.

My best run on 50shot was a 13.7@105.5 (Slippery day)
I am seeing guys post 13.1 with bone stock 04s and 12.8 in an 05 and stock badrich tires on a regular basis. I will keep an eye open in other signatures and post them here for you. Here is the link http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=4427

So how does a juiced 13.3 spank a NA 13.1? How would you sustain those #s when the juice is empty? I stand by my observations of the two cars from last month.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:45 AM
volv4life
Pro

jeremy... some questions to test you on your brochure/pamphlet reading skills

how many of those can i add ?

if i string them together do i gain more power ?

does it also function as a cheese grater ?

is this like turbo power squared.. since i already have a turbo does the turbonator send the air spiraling at my intake like a crazed lunatic with a knife doing 360's !?!?

clown endorsed ?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

I am seeing guys post 13.2 with bone stock 04s and stock badrich tires on a regular basis. I will keep an eye open in other signatures and post them here for you.

So how does a juiced 13.3 spank a NA 13.2? How would you sustain those #s when the juice is empty? I stand by my observations of the two cars from last month.

Tom my last run (and only run on that setting) was on compleately bald KDWS tires. I have seen people post 13.4's on GTOforum on 04's but they are at almost 4-5mph less then my car. Take the goat to the drag strip I think you will be suprised at how cold reality is..
Old 10-26-2005, 10:50 AM
volv4life
Pro

I am seeing guys post 13.1 with bone stock 04s and 12.8 in an 05 and stock badrich tires on a regular basis. I will keep an eye open in other signatures and post them here for you. Here is the link http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=4427

So how does a juiced 13.3 spank a NA 13.1? How would you sustain those #s when the juice is empty? I stand by my observations of the two cars from last month.
thats impressive tom, my friends bone stock 04 only seems to be able to handle mid 13's @ 103-104 mph traps, this is a stick and he's a pretty good driver.

what are their traps if you dont mind me asking ?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by volv4life
jeremy... some questions to test you on your brochure/pamphlet reading skills

how many of those can i add ?

if i string them together do i gain more power ?

does it also function as a cheese grater ?

is this like turbo power squared.. since i already have a turbo does the turbonator send the air spiraling at my intake like a crazed lunatic with a knife doing 360's !?!?

clown endorsed ?
1. As many as you can afford!
2. Of course!
3. Only with hard cheese. Soft cheeses will clog the power port holes and cause an impact on performance. Of course, if you want your exhaust to smell like bleu cheese, that is an added benefit.
4. To determine the exact benefit of your application, please consult the quadratic equation.
5. Of course! All of the best clowns are using it!

I already got my sticker kit in the mail. coolness!

Old 10-26-2005, 11:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

4. Zoltan doesnt know American plastic from rebadged Australian plastic. It is plastic fantastic Holden Mr. Beetle Bailey (if your wife's name really is Bailey I will pee myself)
For the record, I never called your car 'Merican. Just called it a Pontiac. Yes, I know, it's a Holden. Still a GM in my book. Pontiac - Chebby - Holden - Saturn - they all come out of the same (plastic) mold!

And though my wife does drive a New Beetle Turbo, her maiden name is NOT Bailey.

Boy this thread has deteriorated alot.

Just keep the clowns away, please. I just got done with therapy and I don't want to go into relapse...

-Z-man.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by volv4life
thats impressive tom, my friends bone stock 04 only seems to be able to handle mid 13's @ 103-104 mph traps, this is a stick and he's a pretty good driver.

what are their traps if you dont mind me asking ?
It is in the link i posted. I told you I didnt lease it because it was fast. i leased it because i got an awesome deal, and because it is such a nice car. now be honest, which is a better daily driver, your modded volvo or your buddys bone stock GTO? The real question is which is more stealth? That is a tough one, kinda like asking which of cinderellas step sisters was uglier.

How bout this, almost 500hp easy daily driver, super fit and finish (take that Z ) for under 40k out the door http://www.gtoforum.com/showthread.php?t=4478 and a fully functional rear seat.
Originally Posted by Fishey
Tom my last run (and only run on that setting) was on compleately bald KDWS tires. I have seen people post 13.4's on GTOforum on 04's but they are at almost 4-5mph less then my car. Take the goat to the drag strip I think you will be suprised at how cold reality is..
The reality is the only car i am taking to any track is my S2, and it isnt to go in a straight line. as to your times, if i had a bigger dong, fatter wallet and smaller nose i would have married Pamela (she has this thing for guys named tommy i hear). Now for the cold reality, you made a statement based on opinion, and I refuted it with cold facts (the accuracy of my facts may be in question, but I gave you the source).

Every time I try to get out of this asinine debate with you where you can have a shred of dignity you come up with another pointless point. Yes, your car is quick. whoppee. I am happy for you. enjoy it while it, and your back lasts.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Z-man
Race Director

How bout this, almost 500hp easy daily driver, super fit and finish (take that Z ) for under 40k out the door
Amazing what they can do with plastic these days....

Fishey - how are your CV joints holding up at the drag strip, BTW?

-Z-man.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:57 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Z-man
Amazing what they can do with plastic these days....
-Z-man.
How a mind works:
Read your post, think of "plastics benjamin plastics" fast forward and think if his wife knew about all the wonderful things they can do with plastic (and evereadys) these days there wouldnt have been a mainstream script.

Quick Reply: cone filter for 1991 944 S2