Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged 1986 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 04:53 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Awesome job, with the MAFterburner, did you have to do any special configuring? Was it plug and play? I guess I am asking what was needed to make it work...
The only problem with the Mafterburner is that it senses WOT by measuring 0 to 5v output for a Ford TPS. When the 944s TPS is closed it grounds out a 5v signal from the DME, the TPS output is about 4.8v before WOT (around 80% of throttle). The problem this presents is that you can’t change the open-loop closed-loop switchover point on the Mafterburner, with a ford you can set this switchover by setting the TPS voltage read by the Mafterburner (944 = 0 or 4.8V). So far this hasn’t caused me any problems, the Mafterburner will sense WOT at idle and you just have to switch the maps around. When the 944 TPS goes to 0v (WOT), the Mafterburner will use the closed-loop map, because these maps can be completely customized you just use the open-loop up to WOT then switch to the closed-loop. If you don’t like the Mafterburner you can use Splitseconds ARC2, I got the Mafterburner really cheap on Ebay and I like the way the maps are configured..

Last edited by pormgb; 03-11-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-24-2005, 05:32 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pormgb
I'm located in the Oakville Ontario area; I want to show the car next year at the UCR Concours d'Eleganceat Appleby College. Where are you located?
Calgary. Damn, I wish you were closer. i would love to see your car up close. I'm interested in trying this to my son's early 924. Can you recommend any reading material or sites so a novice can get up to speed?
Old 09-24-2005, 05:45 PM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, I'd love to see a dynochart with a/f ratios.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:17 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone remember this car?

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/159133-parting-out.html
Old 09-25-2005, 09:08 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike B
Calgary. Damn, I wish you were closer. i would love to see your car up close. I'm interested in trying this to my son's early 924. Can you recommend any reading material or sites so a novice can get up to speed?

I’ve been following different threads on supercharging 944s for about a year and have read many other web articles on supercharging. Take a look at FR Winks Web site on the 944 DME, I got allot of information about how the 944 AFM/DME, I chose to replace 944 AFM bit I used the air temperature sensor. Once I get the car running perfect, ill write up the whole conversion.

http://frwilk.com/944dme/hfm.htm

http://www.mafterburner.com/contact_us.htm

http://www.splitsec.com/
Old 09-25-2005, 09:17 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nicely done. For reference, we run 4-5psi on our boxster supercharger kits using procharger blowers, and it took the RWHP from about 155 to 240, so you don't need a lot of air to see the power gain. Congrats!.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

there was an awsome 924s4 at the track today, was already quick as ****, now w/ a home cooked supercharger and custom intake making 7psi, badass. He said he used a rising rate regulator and a air pressure sensor? to regulate the signal and fuel and it worked great. I need to learn to deal w/ these computers so i can do mine someday.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:50 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Karl2bdc
Very nicely done. For reference, we run 4-5psi on our boxster supercharger kits using procharger blowers, and it took the RWHP from about 155 to 240, so you don't need a lot of air to see the power gain. Congrats!.

Yeh, I checked my boost gauge yesterday and I running around 4 PSI, Ill leave it there till I get all the quirks ironed out. One thing that really bothers me is that I get a hesitation as I accelerate and pull off from a hard run, I think the problem is related to my FMU. I’m using a EIP (like Begi) and I run it from the same vacuum feed as the stock regulator, the stock regulator is still there. How do you guys set up your FMU?
Old 09-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

I love the part about where he says how much it cost him to do it.
anyone want to venture what the turbo ppl were telling me how much it would cost to turbo the NA?
Old 09-27-2005, 05:01 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Campeck - how about your actually turbocharge your car first. Then you can prove everyone wrong.

Pormgb - that's a very good looking set-up and I hope youll be able to make some kind of write-up once you have all the kinks sorted. Good luck.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:50 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Serge944
Pormgb - that's a very good looking set-up and I hope youll be able to make some kind of write-up once you have all the kinks sorted. Good luck.
agreed! I have this thread bookmarked, and will not leave it alone until I see some kind of writeup or a parts list or something, I will do this one day, not because it is the most practical thing in the world, but because it is FUN!

awesome car
Old 09-27-2005, 11:44 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, you may want to check your TPS out man. It should be one in and two out as far as signals go. It feeds power in, then either idle or WOT, nothing is read as mid throttle. You probably have a bad TPS if you aren't getting voltage in WOT. Good luck, hope to help.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Nice
Old 09-28-2005, 07:34 AM
X 944 X
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
Campeck - how about your actually turbocharge your car first. Then you can prove everyone wrong.

agreed on the 1st above quote.....

looks like this guy has done some SERIOUS work, and its easy to say "well, see he did it and only cost xxx dollars....."

you havent got anywhere near him yet, btw, are you the one (camp) who was trying all those crazy installs with a air filter in the wheel well and such for a low to no HP gain or was that someone else on here?

I too own a NA 944 and would kill for that setup, however I know it would cost me 2-3x $$$ than this gentlemen spent on his car because aparently he knows what he is doing and has spent lots of time and energy which is NOT free... so great job on the install my friend!!!!

x9
Old 10-01-2005, 07:31 PM
pormgb
Racer

Default Update

Today I done some further tuning, I made modification to the BOV vacuum feed and reduced the rate on the FMU, I also added a new set of Magnecor spark plug wires. This time the car runs stronger but still has a slight hesitation that takes away from the acceleration, I'm not sure if this is related to not having the right FMU rate or my fuel map. What is not always evident about this conversion is that the car produces so much more power than stock, this is clearly seen by not having to rev the car as high to get it moving, this makes a much more pleasant drive.
I also discovered that when driving the car hard I'm not even hitting WOT, I discovered this by monitoring the out put of the Mafterburner, it can provide a log of what the Mafterburner is doing while driving.
My next step is to install Bursch headers with a Magnaflow muffler, I had the headers hanging around for a year and have decided to install them, this should make the car sound more aggressive and breathe better.

Last edited by pormgb; 05-27-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Supercharged 1986 944 NA