Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged 1986 944 NA

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

look gfreat man!!! keep up the good work. i would like to see some pics of the whole car once u finish the body upgrades ur doing.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Really looks good. Great alternative to the ridiculously expensive SC for the 944 that are out there. Plus, you give all your information to the community -- that's awesome.

-Matt
Old 10-23-2005, 12:45 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job!

Subcribing.

Old 10-23-2005, 12:57 PM
DVC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pormgb-

Have you considered this before you turn up the boost:

http://snowperformance.net/

I'm using the stage 2 MAF on my Ford Lightning and it allows considerably more boost and timing on pump gas.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:48 PM
pormgb
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DVC
pormgb-

Have you considered this before you turn up the boost:

http://snowperformance.net/

I'm using the stage 2 MAF on my Ford Lightning and it allows considerably more boost and timing on pump gas.

I'm actually running a 944 Turbo intercooler so I haven’t considered other methods of cooling; My 65 Turbo Corvair uses water injection with a Saab 9000 Intercooler, this works really well.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
pormgb
Racer

Default Progress report

The car is finally off jack stands, I spent most of last week completing my new exhaust system and adding 944 Turbo 16” wheels and rear turbo brakes, I’ now waiting for a set of turbo struts and complete spindle assemblies bought on Ebay, car looks kind of funny with turbo brakes on the back and stock brakes on the front. The combination of Magnaflow muffler with Bursche headers is awesome, the car sounds really aggressive but not too loud. Now for performance, over the weekend I ran the car up to 6000RPM through 3rd and 4th gear, WOW !! the care really moves, couldn’t even get into 5th. Today, I had another shock; I've always wanted to do a burn up with my 944 but never had enough power to do more than squeak the tires. At the lights I decided to rev the car to 3500 RPM and release the clutch, the car smoked the tires and fish tailed down the road, when the Paxton warms upit really produces allot of power that is not evident when driving at low RPMs. If you look at the science of thes SC's, they produce about 5psi on a V8, on a 4 cylinder motor they can produce up to 10PSI, this is good because I loose pressure through the intercooler. I have also noticed that since I added the vented nose panel the car pulls stronger at high RPM, today was also a cool day, very good for supercharged or turbo cars. I’m going to take it easy for now and pay some attention to the little problems that bug me, I also don’t want to be picking up pieces of my motor, it’s still only a 944.

Last edited by pormgb; 12-10-2012 at 12:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Car looks great, very similar to what i would like to do. Do you have any pictures or tips with mounting the vented header panel? I am picking mine up sometime later this week and hopefully will get around to mounting it.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:51 PM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Car looks great, very similar to what i would like to do. Do you have any pictures or tips with mounting the vented header panel? I am picking mine up sometime later this week and hopefully will get around to mounting it.

If you are installing a 924 Turbo Nose Panel, It’s not as easy as it looks. Mine came from an 82 924 Turbo and it was welded on to the car. The first thing I had to do was to drill out the spot welds along the front inside edge of the panel; when the panel was cut form the 924 the excess was left on. The stock 944 nose panel is bolted to the car via four tabs with screws, there are also two screws that secure it the cars nose panel support. Because tabs these didn’t exist the 924 panel I had to make them, I had to make the tabs weld screws to them, then weld the tabs on to the 924 panel, I used my stock panel as a template for mounting the tabs. The other challenge is the two outer vents or the nose panel; these vents are right where the chassis nose panel support protrudes. To clear the vents I had to trim back the supports with a cut off wheel, you need to remove enough material so the plastic vent can fit correctly in the nose panel.

I’m not sure if all the 924 nose panels are the same but you should remove the stock panel, then line up the 924 panel to see what you need to trim.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey thanks for the information on that. The panel already has all the welds drilled out and excess material removed. The tabs you needed to add in, are you refering to the part by the headlight buckets?

or these bolts?

Thank you, i really appreciate the information. Gives me an idea as to what i need to expect.

Pictures graciously taken from Clarks-Garage.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's outstanding! I hope you don't get addicted to those burnouts though- clutches and trannies ain't cheap.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 PM
eohrnberger
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Wow! That's great! Way to go!
Originally Posted by pormgb
. . . . I've always wanted to do a burn up with my 944 but never had enough power to do more than squeak the tires. At the lights I decided to rev the car to 3500 RPM and release the clutch, the car smoked the tires and fish tailed down the road . . .
Man! That sounds like a blast. Some day I'm gonna get mine to do that too. No concerns about the diff holding up under such (ab)use?
Old 11-09-2005, 12:33 AM
pormgb
Racer

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Hey thanks for the information on that. The panel already has all the welds drilled out and excess material removed. The tabs you needed to add in, are you refering to the part by the headlight buckets?

or these bolts?

Thank you, i really appreciate the information. Gives me an idea as to what i need to expect.

Pictures graciously taken from Clarks-Garage.

Yep, those are the ones !!
Old 11-09-2005, 08:37 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my cat stood up to 20+ burnouts, a ****load of sidewaysness, and more than a year of a busted rubber center clutch.

only THEN did the tranny break....in the rain....going up my driveway. lol

to conclude though. I doubt one time is going to smash his tranny.
man I wish i could drive that thing to see what it feels like.

(edit...my cats are really good at doing burnouts in....)

Quick Reply: Supercharged 1986 944 NA