Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for al season tire for 15-inch PD's

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for al season tire for 15-inch PD's

I may have a line on set of 15-inch PD's hopefully. I am looking to use these as winter / off-season wheels mostly. I was browsing TireRack for all-seasons that fit the stock size, 215/60/15..only summer tires and snow tires show up. Searching in 225/50/15 i get nothing. However looking at H-rated tires in the 215 size i get a dozen or so results.

Is it alright to run H-rated tires, or will i be dealing with a excesivley soft sidewall? Can anyone throw out some makes and tire models that would work in the stock 215/60 size and 225/50 size? I am preferably looking for cheaper tires under $100 each.

Its tough deciding which wheels to use as summer and off season use. The 15-inch has a pretty reasonable selection of summer tires and a small selection of all season. 16-inch has a great selection of both. 15-inch would work better at autocross ....though i dont know if thats enough to base my decision on. Any advice on what to do?

Are the Fuzion HRi any good for all season use? I have heard some good things about the ZRi (which is what i plan to get for my D90's next).

Also would a 225/60VR15 sized tire look strange? The Yokohama AVS dB2 comes in that size.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:13 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

I don't think looking at an UHP tire is going to qualify as a 'all-season'. The Fuzions are good tires but don't ask any them or any tire in the same category to perform in winter. If you are looking for a separate winter tire then buy a winter tire. With your description above I think you are looking for a tire that isn't made.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:17 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

grab a set of snows... seriously... that's what I'm currently running cuz my summers wore out... Now, I have less traction in all conditions... except for snow... when I'm in snow, it's like I'm driving on dry pavement.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:29 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 836 Likes on 525 Posts

Get winter tires. Do not even consider no-season tires. They aren't worth crap in any condition. Keep you summer tires for the warm months. Put the winter tires on when it gets cold.

I would recommend 205/65R15 for winter use. Visit Tire Rack for a good selection of good winter tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compar...t=All&x=31&y=7
Old 09-06-2005, 02:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 116 Likes on 84 Posts

get a nice set of snows. they will be fine in warm weather. you are not running the car at 10/10 on the street.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:14 PM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will throw my hat in the ring in favor of snows. That is what I will be running if I don't store my car for the winter.

However, if you simply must have all seasons I can make a recommendation. Keep in mind this reco is based on my experiences from one average Minnesota winter in a front-drive car:

Continental ContiExtremeContact

I'm not sure if they come in your size or not, but I had a very good experience with them on my old 2002 Nissan Maxima. That's a big car with a lot of power to the front wheels, and with traction control and ABS the Contis did a great job. Really, really good in slushy conditions and on wet roads. They pummel through wet stuff really well. I didn't ever lose confidence in my traction with those on the Maxima.

If you can get them in your size and just don't want snows, I heartily recommend.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll also advise against all-season tires, and recommend separate winter and summer tires. I used to live in Long Island, and I know the winters out there. Besides, if you plan to keep the car for many years, the total $ will be close in either case (all season vs. summer+winter).
Old 09-06-2005, 05:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree about dedicated summer and winter tires. I have a set of wheels for each. Night and day difference, and not just between summer and winter tires but winter and all-season. All-seasons in my opinion are a waste of money and don't do anything well at all other than add mass to a tire wall. I tried to drive on winter with all-seasons on my car when I first got it and would get into situations in rather light snow where I literally could not get rolling.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What can i expect from driving on snows in warmer weather, is it alright to do that or should they only be driven in colder weather? I really dont know much about snows, never had a pair on any car i have driven.

For a while i was having trouble deciding which wheels should run the snows or all seasons and which to use with summer tires. Seems to be infinite choices available on the 16-inch wheels for summer tires and even all-seasons. The 15-inch wheels have a pretty limited selection.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
What can i expect from driving on snows in warmer weather, is it alright to do that or should they only be driven in colder weather? I really dont know much about snows, never had a pair on any car i have driven.

For a while i was having trouble deciding which wheels should run the snows or all seasons and which to use with summer tires. Seems to be infinite choices available on the 16-inch wheels for summer tires and even all-seasons. The 15-inch wheels have a pretty limited selection.
You can expect a lot of tread squirm (and wear) on snow tires in warm weather. My personal advice would be to keep the winter tires for the winter months. Late October to early April, in my area. I would think weather conditions are similar in New York. Save them for when you need them. They will give you several years of good life if treated properly.

Use the least attractive and least expensive wheels for the winter tires. Use nothing larger than 15". If you have or plan to get 16" wheels - that is a good choice for the summer tires. If I had an unlimited budget for my car I'd run 205/65R15 winter tires (obviously on 15" wheels) and 225/50R16 summer tires (on 16" wheels). I would even consider a wider tire if I could find wide wheels that looked good and worked well. 245s for example, would look smashing on a 944.

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 09-07-2005 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:06 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

get some RE750's, good in summer time and decent in the snow.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:07 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by xsboost90
get some RE750's, good in summer time and decent in the snow.

(in the voice of Apu) No, no, no - do not listen to that man.

If he gives you advice about body or paint, ok. Tires? No!

Quick Reply: Looking for al season tire for 15-inch PD's