Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cgt update(kind of long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 10:15 AM
nine64
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default cgt update(kind of long)

hi all,
i got some good and some bad news from mech. i will try to explain the best i can with my limited mech knowlege.
good.
all suspention is all good just replace some rubber bit.
over heating is fix by replacing the water thermostat.
bad.
it's pinging when almost full boost. He try to adjust the retard timming but can't so he say i will be needing new ignition control as the one in the car have gone bad. The original porsche part is NLA, he recommend something like MSD 6 BTM Ignition Control w/Boost Timing Master.(535 bucks ouch!)
some of the gauge is not working. feul, oil pressure, clock.
Anyway i have a track day sesion on sunday but he needed a couple more days to have things fix but i couldn't wait. we have some discussion and we agree to try to put in some 100 octane fuel, fix the fuel gauge and see if the pinging will go away.
I put in about 20 liters and VOLA! the pingings gone. so i fuel up the rest with 95 octane and still no pinging.
the next day i leave for the track, about 2 hours drive then fuel gauge die on me. so when i get to the track i did a some slow runs and see what's eles needed to be done. on the way back i fill up about 30 liters of 95 octane and it's still no pinging.
The car perform great, it get me there and back, didn't let me down. There are still some small issue like fuel smell in the car and small stuff like window switch not working..
I didn't expect much to be honest (it's a 23 years old car!)but it's still manage to exeed all my expectation. I am very happy with it.
now i have some question
i want to put in boost gauge, prefer VDO so i can take the clock out and replace it with boost gauge, does anybody have experience with www.egauges.com? or other place that u recommended?
about my pinging promblem what do you think? i just can't keep putting 100 octane fuel in, there is only one place that have it and it's not exactly legal plus it's cost twice as much as 95 octane.
now some pic.
thanks all.
Attached Images      

Last edited by nine64; 08-31-2005 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:19 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok.. MORE PICS!! If you have bigger, say 1600x1200, let me know- I'd LOVE to have that as my wallpaper here on my PC!
That is a beautiful 924CGT! - congrats!!

You may have to clean the contacts grounds on the fuel guage sender- it's common for the fuel guage to drop out due to a electrical gremlin.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:35 AM
nine64
Racer

Originally Posted by Chris_924s
Ok.. MORE PICS!! If you have bigger, say 1600x1200, let me know- I'd LOVE to have that as my wallpaper here on my PC!
That is a beautiful 924CGT! - congrats!!

You may have to clean the contacts grounds on the fuel guage sender- it's common for the fuel guage to drop out due to a electrical gremlin.
thanks chris pm me your e-mail or tell me where to send the pic.
a few more pic if you don't mind.
Attached Images      

Last edited by nine64; 08-30-2005 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:17 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful car, if you have the one with you in the pits with the blue lotus in the back in high res...please do send to me also!

jjeng951@gmail.com
Old 08-30-2005, 11:51 AM
ljibis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so intensely jealous of you...what a beautiful car! I'm beginning to think that the CGT is the best looking of the 924/944/968 series. Glad you're getting in some track time with it.

I have never heard of eGuages. Have you considered Summit Racing Products? They're more of a muscle car place, but they have a huge selection and I'm sure they ship internationally. I know they're reliable, too.

I don't think you have much of a choice on your ignition issue. Clearly something needs to be done, and installing the MSD with boost control may be the best, most reliable way to get there. Some of the Datsun guys I know pretty much swear by the MSD 6's - you get really good, hot spark across the rev range and they are very configurable. It will extend the life of your engine, and might extend the life of the turbo as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:03 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Considering the car is relatively rare and perhaps historically somewhat significant, I'd be careful hacking the electronics. There ought to be someone somewhere you can burn you a new chip with some of the timing retarded. I personally wouldn't do anything to that car tha cannot easily be undone.

I'm having a bit of a hard time believing the pinging is from ignition timing however. The timing is set at the factory so if it was truly the timing, it would have been bad since it was new. Do you have a boost gauge? You may have a little boost creep or your intercooler may need cleaning if it has any oil in the intake tract.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW, i have used eGauges before, they have a great service and are prompt with shipments. Highly recommend them.

I believe the closest thing to the stock look in the 924 (which should be similar to the 924S) was the VDO Vision series. Here is what some of the gauges from that line look like...

Old 08-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also have had great experiences with egauges. They have good prices and have always shipped quickly to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Geo
Race Director

Actually, the 924 used the VDO Cockpit series. I personally love the Vision series as well.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have I told you I hate you and am extremely envious of you yet this week?

No?

Well, I hate you and I'm extremely envious of you...

Man, that is a kick *** car you have there. enjoy it!
Old 08-30-2005, 01:49 PM
nine64
Racer

Originally Posted by Geo
Considering the car is relatively rare and perhaps historically somewhat significant, I'd be careful hacking the electronics. There ought to be someone somewhere you can burn you a new chip with some of the timing retarded. I personally wouldn't do anything to that car tha cannot easily be undone.

I'm having a bit of a hard time believing the pinging is from ignition timing however. The timing is set at the factory so if it was truly the timing, it would have been bad since it was new. Do you have a boost gauge? You may have a little boost creep or your intercooler may need cleaning if it has any oil in the intake tract.
Geo,
from my limited understanding of these things. i am not sure but i think my car doesn't even have a chip, i think it use K-jetronic injection(correct me if i'm wrong please)? but it does have a digital ingition, the ingition box have been open before, so there might be an attemp to fix it. we test the boost by attach the boost gauge but seem to be ok.
cleaning the intercooler is a good idea and i will try that.
Also good point on the factory setting, so could it be that the fuel here are not up to euro standard?. When it's say 95 octane i don't really think it's 95. If it the fuel promblem and the retard timming cannot be adjust then what would be the next opion?
i also want to keep it as standard as possible but if there are things that make it better without doing harm then i am up for it.
thanks for your help
Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 PM
nine64
Racer

Jon,
e-mail sent, if you want other please let me know.

phorschephile,

again, thanks for your's kind word!
Old 08-30-2005, 02:01 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts

It's almost midnight in Bangkok, you should be in bed.

Your 95 octane is RON in Thailand. This equates to roughly 90-91 octane in the US. It was not until 1995 that Thailand fully transitioned from leaded gasoline to unleaded. Leaded gas will have higher octane ratings than unleaded. Was your car from Thailand originally?
Old 08-30-2005, 02:02 PM
fwb42
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey,Sounds like too many electrical thing going wrong! I would start checking your grounds for good contact,bad wires etc.Nice Car!! FRED
Old 08-30-2005, 02:06 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car!!!! The CGTs are extreamly cool cares and very rare too great find. Use it well and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: cgt update(kind of long)