Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S3 Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 01:09 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Oh Hell... could be lots of things. Reference sensors too. No signal means no sparky. Maybe I'll check the FSM for you?
That's what worries me. The reference sensor is from my 924S, it is listed as the same part on the 968 (944.606.115.00). I also checked the height 0.8mm and that is fine.

I pulled up the DME testing in my manual and will work on that tomorrow after work.

I'm also worried about the alarm system. I used the bypass from Clark website, but still no spark.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:46 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Thanks Tifo, my yahoo (XXX.XXX) has most of 1 gig left, that will work.

We have the fuel pump running and power to the injectors and coil but we cannot get a spark.
Email just went out to you with the scans. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy
Old 09-12-2005, 09:25 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Email just went out to you with the scans. Let me know if you have any questions.

Jeremy
Thanks, I owe you a few of these Too bad the X got the beer brewing equipment
Old 09-12-2005, 09:33 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

No problem! Well, I can send you a couple of my homebrews if ya would like!

Man, what kinda woman takes a man's collection of homebrewing equipment? That's just wrong. That reminds me of that quote from Tom Arnold in True Lies about his ex:

"She even took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of sick b@tch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?!?!"
Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM
Jared944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the wiring changes, for the most part. There is one difference I will have to check out... one of the terms HAS to be grounded out, or else the fuel pump wont run. Gimmie a little bit, and Ill figure it out.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
944 968 wiring changes.doc (89.5 KB, 218 views)
Old 09-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Jared944
Racer

...That is, of course, an 924 is wired pritty much exactially like a '83 944. Im not sure :P I do know that you can use your old ref sensor, I did.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jared944
Here are the wiring changes, for the most part. There is one difference I will have to check out... one of the terms HAS to be grounded out, or else the fuel pump wont run. Gimmie a little bit, and Ill figure it out.
Yes, this would be useful information, thanks. I'm headed home from work early to get started.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:47 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

HOT DAMN, SHE STARTED

Time to tie up the loose ends and have this thing running by tonight
Old 09-12-2005, 04:50 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Congrats! What was the answer to the problem! Way to go.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:04 PM
Jared944
Racer

Congrats It took me quite a while to get my car started after my swap. I had multiple problems to contend with - my fuel pump decided to stop working, the ref sensor, and grounding out one of the term's...

Have fun!!!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, keep us updated tonight, i'd love to hear about how it drives. What an amazing project...
Old 09-12-2005, 09:48 PM
WhoDak
Instructor

You know he's been in the garage and on the road since he got that thing running haha. I can't wait to hear how it drives
Old 09-13-2005, 12:54 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Sorry to dissapoint everyone, but she's not in driving shape as of yet. She is running but I still have more to do. Right now she only has exhaust headers, no exhaust. Early next week she goes to the shop to have a 2.5" exhaust installed.

What did get done today. Well, I got the DME talking with the car; having the "real" 924S wiring diagrams was essential (thanks Tifo). After the mess on Sunday trying to use the Haynes manual, I was sure that we fried the DME. The first thing I did was to pull it and put it in the 968 coupe, which started right up, thus, the DME was ok. I then began with the wiring, but still no go. I finally got smart and pulled the workshop manual and began the DME diagnostics. Low and behold, the second test told the story, no power going out of the DME. I attached a switched 12V source and the car fired. Needless to say, I was smiling.

A good friend then showed up and we proceded to get the gauges going. So far, everything is working except the tach. Not sure way, still need to work on that. I've decided to wire the radiator fans to two toggles on the dash so that I can run one or both as needed. The dash needs to go back in, but I want everything wired up first. I have two water hoses that I blocked off that are leaking so I need to get to those as well. We removed the headlights, and all associated hardware, so we began fabricating brackets to hold the headlight covers in place. I also ran some piping into the left headlight to house the KN filter. I pulled the front drivers side marker and plan to make a scoop to bring in fresh air; hope it doesn't turn out ricey . When I get time, I'll isolate the filter from the engine as well. Lots of other little things on my list to "finish", but I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel
Old 09-19-2005, 12:54 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Work has kept me from the garage for the last week, finally managed to get time today to work on the 924S3. I got all the water leaks fixed properly and mocked up the air intake system (still waiting on the K&N to arrive; see photo below). All the wiring is pretty much done and the dash went back in (see below), at this point I just have to make the plates that will hold the toggles in the dash.

Issues. During the initial wiring, I hooked the DME 12v power directly to the battery and all was fine. Because the connection calls for a switched connection, I spent quite a bit of time this morning trying to set this up. No matter what switched circuit I attached to I did not get spark but direct wiring always worked. In the end I decided to wire the DME to the back side of an unused fuse and put a toggle on it. The toggle will be placed next to the Key and I'll just flip it on prior to starting and off when I'm done.

I wired up both radiator fans to toggles so that I can control them directly, and did the same thing with the wipers (no park feature, oh well).

I had to order a throttle cable, which they have to get from Germany. Luckily I got one off ebay tonight so I'll cancel my order. I've not quite made the 9/15 build date, but I'm really close.
Attached Images    
Old 09-19-2005, 12:59 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Haynes manual is the worst piece of literature since "How to speak French" was translated into French.

Looking good!

Quick Reply: 924S3 Update