Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924S3 Update

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:05 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

A good day in the garage, lots of progress. First the brake booster issue was resolved and I believe the hood will close (I haven't tried yet as there is too much in the way still). If worse comes to worse, I'll create a bump in the hood for the brake booster The t-tube is back on, and I got the external oil cooler mounted (see pics). Manual steering rack is also installed and I started working on the the wiring harness as well. Who knows, this thing may be ready for the October DE at Barber
Attached Images      
Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Jared944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I just noticed your project! Nice work so far. When I put the 3.0 in my '83, I had absolutley no brake booster issued :P I dunno, the 924 must be different. I can tell ya, it was a fun project! If you need any help on the wiring, let me know. Ill try to recall what I did...
Old 09-06-2005, 05:16 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Well hot damn Tim! Cool car! Looks like sooo much fun.

/bookmarks thread

I'm watchin' this one!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:56 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jared944
Hey, I just noticed your project! Nice work so far. When I put the 3.0 in my '83, I had absolutley no brake booster issued :P I dunno, the 924 must be different. I can tell ya, it was a fun project! If you need any help on the wiring, let me know. Ill try to recall what I did...
I will likely take you up on the offer, the wiring is definately the part that I'm most worried about.

Interesting about the booster, on my car it had to be moved.

A general question, is it safe to start the car with the torque tube installed but not the tranny?
Old 09-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Steve PH
Instructor

Good to see you sorted the brake booster problem with out radical surgery, good luck with the rest of it!
Old 09-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Jared944
Racer

I wouldn't start it.... From my perspective, the transmission puts a load on the engine and torque tube, even in neutral. But thats just me...
Old 09-07-2005, 12:47 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Spent most of the evening putting stuff back on the car such as the starter, clutch slave, radiator fans, and battery cable. Pressed new bushings into the new control arms and installed them. I also managed to hit my bald head on something very hard and lost a half pint of blood

A friend showed up to help tonight and I really wanted to get the 951 tranny installed but came up against another hurdle. It appears that the passenger side hanger must differ between the 924S and the 951. That is, the 924s hanger fits two of the holes on the passenger side, but there is not a third hole for the bolt in the tranny. Anyone got a photo of the passenger side hanger on the 951?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

i'm installing an S2 oil cooler on my car when i get it. is your oil cooler behind the bumper? it looks like you removed a turn signal housing for the airflow. is that your permanent solution? and what mounting bracket did you use?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:01 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Joe - Turn signals were already removed and it will stay that way. No mounting bracket, it is bolted and screwed to the existing structure. Not pretty but it should work. I'm looking for some hose to direct the flow better.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:51 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
Spent most of the evening putting stuff back on the car such as the starter, clutch slave, radiator fans, and battery cable. Pressed new bushings into the new control arms and installed them. I also managed to hit my bald head on something very hard and lost a half pint of blood

A friend showed up to help tonight and I really wanted to get the 951 tranny installed but came up against another hurdle. It appears that the passenger side hanger must differ between the 924S and the 951. That is, the 924s hanger fits two of the holes on the passenger side, but there is not a third hole for the bolt in the tranny. Anyone got a photo of the passenger side hanger on the 951?
951 trans mounts from a single point on the trans itself instead of the two points on the early 944 and 924S.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Manning
951 trans mounts from a single point on the trans itself instead of the two points on the early 944 and 924S.
Yep, now that I'm at work and can look at the PET, one mounting point. I can't believe that the tranny is attached by only two 8x100 bolts with that set up. This makes me think that I can mount the tranny using the 924S mounts using the three bolts on the drivers side and two on the passenger. If necessary, I could have someone weld a bolt into the third position on the passenger side.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:20 PM
Jared944
Racer

Oh, yea. I had to cut out that cross beam with a saws all and install an updated tranny mount (for my 6 speed). I was really worried that the beam would be structural, but it isnt. That really sucked, but its the best way to go about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:47 PM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jared944
Oh, yea. I had to cut out that cross beam with a saws all and install an updated tranny mount (for my 6 speed). I was really worried that the beam would be structural, but it isnt. That really sucked, but its the best way to go about it.

How did you get it to bolt in? Did you weld nuts inside the frame?
Old 09-07-2005, 02:04 PM
Jared944
Racer

No, my strategy was a little more ghetto. I would have welded, but I already had the new style gas tank installed and didnt want to take it back down. I drilled straight through from the trunk to the underside and installed two long bolts on either end. You cant see the bolt head in the trunk becasue its way off to the side under the carpeting and insulation.
That reminds me, you need a new style gas tank, Lemming. I cant see how any of this would work without one. The new one is plastic (MUCH lighter than the old metal one).
There was a sweedish site (I dont have it right now) that installed a turbo tranny without cutting out the bar, but it didnt look too supportive.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Alright, this is the first chance I've gotten to respond, way too much work (paying work, not fun car work) today. I just left the garage having spent all of 5 minutes measuring and comparing the trannys, and other than the oil cooler and lack of one anchor point, I don't see any difference between them. At this moment, I'm convinced that it's a direct bolt in and I'll find out tomorrow.

Jared, as for removing the gas tank, I was told that I would have to do that if I went with the 968 engine since it's longer (although I've never measured them). That is one of the reasons that I didn't go that route, not to mention that, IMO, 6 speeds for the track is overkill.

Of course, I may be dead wrong on all accounts , I will let everyone know the fit issue tomorrow night.

Quick Reply: 924S3 Update