Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight savings suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 12:31 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Eat less, exercise more.

It's hard to take much weight off without deciding to go "full race" with the interior. Do the A/C and spare tire for a quick drop.

What is a good weight for a race-converted 944, minus the cage? I'll bet that taking out the interior, all sound deadeding, the A/C, cruise, spare tire and the rest of the non-esential stuff will get about 300 pounds out of it.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well my guess is that will aggressive guting, but no fiberglass or lexan you can get to 2300 no cage possibly 2275 if you went after the under coating.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

no rear seats Ashton may help you out a lot.

BTW, how can you not scratch Lexan up? I'm seriously considering a lexi rear hatch.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:16 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheStig
BTW, how can you not scratch Lexan up? I'm seriously considering a lexi rear hatch.
The only POSSIBLE way I can think of is to put a layer of the 3M clear bra stuff on it. But again, from everyone I've talked to you dont want a lexan hatch on the street.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:43 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by URIN 2ND
Manual windows is a killer idea, I wish I knew where/how to source them!
Call Paragon and see if they can get the manual window regulators for you. Make sure you tell them the car model year. I got mine through them, they ordered them directly from Germany and even then they were pretty reasonable. I think at the time about a year ago they were maybe $150 each at most. Once in a while you can find them on Ebay, just watch out for the ones for early 924s. They can be made to work, but it takes some doing.

The hardest part about the manual window convertion on early dash cars is finding the door panels. I think on late dash cars you basically fill the switch positions with blank. I think Tifo has done this convertion on a late dash car, maybe he can say.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:56 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

the manual windows cam on our euro car. so it should be a direct swap. and even if its not. I dont mind drilling a few holes.
Old 08-10-2005, 05:57 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

btw. these manual "cup" mirrors?
where can i find these? do they look the same as stock? are there manual 968 mirrors? lol
Old 08-10-2005, 06:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, they are actually just manual 944 mirror, but they were what was used on the Cup cars. The manual 968 mirrors are different, I think used on some of the Club Sport cars. The thing about the manual 944 mirrors is that they are a bitch to find and are basically just a pot metal base and plastic mirror housing. The pot metal base is a bit brittle, so if you tighten the mounting bolt just a smidge too much, well, you get the picture. Needless to say I have a passenger side mirror in my basement with a cracked base.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Serge944
This has nothing to do with your accident. I don't care who you are, a 944 is too much car for any teen's driving capabilities.

You can go fast through corners so effortlessly - the driver has no role in it whatsoever.

I used to think I was a ok driver.
speak for yourself.
Old 08-10-2005, 06:28 PM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are 924 mirrors, they don't look good on the car in my opinion
personally I love the way the 944 combines luxury with sport. At 60 mph, it only feels like 40. Why would you want a car with lots of road noise, when in the end the difference in performance is minimal?
If you want to make a difference with your "deletes", think about where you want to remove the weight, not just what are the easiest things....the car has a 50/50 balance, and upsetting that too much will cause it to change it's handling charactaristics. The main reason why the turbo has a rear valence is to balance the weight added by the turbocharger and it's additional components

also think about this: adding 10 hp will give you a better hp/weight ratio than removing 150 lbs. (using 2900 and 150 for starters)

I can see what you are trying to do, maximize the 944's abilities, but in the end you are taking away from the car
Old 08-10-2005, 06:40 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meanmaroon951
Even though its all aluminum , the engine is REALLy heavy.. only the germans
Its all the stuff bolted to it I was carrying my block around the garage the other day. Of course it didnt have the crank in it, and thats 50+ pounds alone. Be harder to carry it once thats in.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944CS
they are 924 mirrors, they don't look good on the car in my opinion
personally I love the way the 944 combines luxury with sport. At 60 mph, it only feels like 40. Why would you want a car with lots of road noise, when in the end the difference in performance is minimal?
If you want to make a difference with your "deletes", think about where you want to remove the weight, not just what are the easiest things....the car has a 50/50 balance, and upsetting that too much will cause it to change it's handling charactaristics. The main reason why the turbo has a rear valence is to balance the weight added by the turbocharger and it's additional components

also think about this: adding 10 hp will give you a better hp/weight ratio than removing 150 lbs. (using 2900 and 150 for starters)

I can see what you are trying to do, maximize the 944's abilities, but in the end you are taking away from the car
They are in fact the manual mirror used on the late 924s and early 944s. They don't look that different from the power mirror, just a bit smaller and flat black. The early 924 had a slightly different mirror.

Lightening the car adds a lot to performance and balance can be reclaimed by suspension tuning. Besides, the majority of the weight, other than the AC delete, was taken out of the center of my car. My car, which supposedly started stock at around 2630lbs now weighs less than 2450lbs when you factor in the things like seats and such that are not listed in my sig. That's a lot easier for the 158bhp motor to push around, no?

And considering how many fights errupt around here about how hard it is to get more power out of an NA, please do tell how you propose I get 10 more horses out of my motor.

And in the end, it is all in the eye of the beholder. I personally think it adds a lot to the character of the car, but then I got a kick out of driving the old Fiat spider my sister used to have. And considering my wife didn't really like riding around in my car that much before I started ditching weight off of it, it really isn't too much of a surprise or concern that she doesn't like riding in it now.
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2005, 01:59 AM
944CS
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can get 10 hp easily with the installation of a different camshaft
or throw in a k/n drop in filter and plug the hole in the airbox, gain some torque and high speed hp
and you say talk about removing all of your weight from the center of the car like thats a good thing

You cannot tell me that you'd rather have no a/c and manual steering and 10 less horsepower or have a/c and power steering with 10 more horsepower and better performance
Old 08-11-2005, 02:40 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

This has nothing to do with your accident. I don't care who you are, a 944 is too much car for any teen's driving capabilities.
I agree with jake on this. Although I have hit a sign (bald *** tires + ice= more of a stupidity thing than a driver skill thing). I have never been in any accidents and i gurantee I could handle a 944 pretty well.

Ive also driven and handled cars way more powerful than a 944 (911 Carreras, Suburu STI's, the new BMW M3) and ive come out just fine.

Plus being in the situations ive been in, like bearings failing while going 70, hoods flying up while in moving traffic, ect. Id say any less of a driver would have wrecked their asses.

Sorry back on topic.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

944cs.

whats wrong with manaul steering? PLENTY of ppl would love to have manual steering even if it didnt save 10 lbs or whatever.
besides..my ac didnt even work in the first place!

Quick Reply: weight savings suggestions.