Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weight savings suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005 | 08:54 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by 944CS
you can get 10 hp easily with the installation of a different camshaft
or throw in a k/n drop in filter and plug the hole in the airbox, gain some torque and high speed hp
and you say talk about removing all of your weight from the center of the car like thats a good thing

You cannot tell me that you'd rather have no a/c and manual steering and 10 less horsepower or have a/c and power steering with 10 more horsepower and better performance
Your filter claim aside ( ), I actually prefer no A/C and the feel/input of manual steering. Interesting comments coming from someone with the screen name of "944CS" .
Old 08-11-2005 | 09:10 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

If you have a cabriolet I would suggest removing the 40-50lbs weight located on the passager side in the trunk.
Old 08-11-2005 | 09:35 AM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I am all for the lexan hatch, but I would rather spend the money on a fiberglass hood. It is easy to knock 30lbs off the rear with a gt-racing rear bumper and the spare, jack, compressor, and tool kit is probably another 35lbs. After that you should get some weight out of the front of the car, where it really needs to be taken out. A fiberglass hood is about the same price as a lexan hatch, too.
Old 08-11-2005 | 10:42 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Campeck
944cs.

whats wrong with manaul steering? PLENTY of ppl would love to have manual steering even if it didnt save 10 lbs or whatever.
besides..my ac didnt even work in the first place!
manual steering is the bomb, especially if you use your car on the track. When you have lots of traction in the front, the wheel fights back a little. As soon as you start getting near the limits of traction, the wheel starts feeling light. Nothing like direct feedback . . .
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:07 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Campeck
are there manual 968 mirrors? lol
Yep, the 968CS, 968TS, and 968TRS came standard with them. They sometimes were found on the 968Sport, but most 968Sport cars had the luxury items added back in.

They look the same as the standard 968 mirror, they just have no wires, motor, heater element, and temp sensor.
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:27 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tedwright
I am all for the lexan hatch, but I would rather spend the money on a fiberglass hood. It is easy to knock 30lbs off the rear with a gt-racing rear bumper and the spare, jack, or, and tool kit is probably another 35lbs. After that you should get some weight out of the front of the car, where it really needs to be taken out. A fiberglass hood is about the same price as a lexan hatch, too.
I haven't made a fiberglass hood for my 944 - but I have for my other cars. I think it could be done using my "outer skin" method. The cost of materials would be about $100. Far less than the cost of any piece of Lexan. You'd also be taking weight off the front (though these cars are already well balanced). I estimate 30+ lbs could easily be dropped with an FRP hood. Do a search on 'fiberglass hood' or provide your email address if you want a copy of the article I wrote on the subject. It would also be simple to make the bumpers, header panel and headlight covers from fiberglass. The bumpers would yield significant weight savings.

Some things I have done to take weight off my car include:
A/C delete, removal of front fender sound-deadener/sealer, front tow hooks/ tie downs. I'd remove the rear seats but sometimes the wife needs to haul the kids around when I have her Grand Cherokee (tow vehicle).

Last edited by Scott at Team Harco; 08-11-2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:30 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by Manning
My car, which supposedly started stock at around 2630lbs now weighs less than 2450lbs when you factor in the things like seats and such that are not listed in my sig. That's a lot easier for the 158bhp motor to push around, no?
Manning... have you put the car on the scales? I would be very surprised to see the car at 2450 on the scales. I'd beet a least 100 lbs more. 2630 stock, but not on real scales. My 944-spec comes in at 2626 with me and ballast. Take me out and the car is 2466 with a little ballast. I know have more out of the car than you do inspite of the cage.
Old 08-11-2005 | 11:32 AM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by tedwright
I am all for the lexan hatch, but I would rather spend the money on a fiberglass hood. It is easy to knock 30lbs off the rear with a gt-racing rear bumper and the spare, jack, compressor, and tool kit is probably another 35lbs. After that you should get some weight out of the front of the car, where it really needs to be taken out. A fiberglass hood is about the same price as a lexan hatch, too.
Yep,
944-spec cars get at little nose heavy(50/50 to 51/49) when they are stripped. The reason is more weight comes out from the back of the car than the front.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:22 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758
Manning... have you put the car on the scales? I would be very surprised to see the car at 2450 on the scales. I'd beet a least 100 lbs more. 2630 stock, but not on real scales. My 944-spec comes in at 2626 with me and ballast. Take me out and the car is 2466 with a little ballast. I know have more out of the car than you do inspite of the cage.
Could be. I do know I have close to 200lbs off the car right now, maybe a little less. I remember somebody with their car stripped similar to mine put their car on a DOT scale and it came in under 2500lbs. I want to say it was Tifo, but I don't think it was him.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:32 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

My car supposedly is approximately 2550 with driver and it has all the original sheet metal and glass. I calculated the weight savings that could be gained by replacing the sheet metal with fiberglass (i.e., front and rear bumpers, front fenders, hood, doors, rear hatch frame and sunroof) and glass with lexan (i.e., everywhere EXCEPT the front windshield), and, if the vendor's claims of weight savings are accurate, I could get my car down very close to 2000 lbs. I do not know if the claims of the vendor are accurate. I would love to do that, but that would disqualify me from all the racing classes I want to run, and I would have to add ballast back in anyway, so I don't see the point.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:33 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

you can get 10 hp easily with the installation of a different camshaft
Really? What cam? Got dyno sheets to back that up.

or throw in a k/n drop in filter and plug the hole in the airbox, gain some torque and high speed hp
Like Tifo said

and you say talk about removing all of your weight from the center of the car like thats a good thing
Better than taking it all off one end or the other. I'd say, after actually thinking about it that it has actually come off the car in a pretty balanced fashion.

You cannot tell me that you'd rather have no a/c and manual steering and 10 less horsepower or have a/c and power steering with 10 more horsepower and better performance
Yeah, yeah I can tell you that. I don't like AC. I don't use it in the Civic or the TDI we own, even though they are both equipped and in perfect working order. Actually we only run the air every so often just to keep things circulating in the system. Actually I don't have AC in the house, nor do we have any desire or intentions to add it. I do not like AC plane and simple.

And as been said by others I really like the feel of manual steering. The fluid in any power assisted steering system acts as a damper and cannot translate the same level of feel back to the driver. I'll take proper manual steering on these cars any day.

Last edited by Manning; 08-11-2005 at 01:12 PM. Reason: because I can't spell or remember to use spell check
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:50 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Could be. I do know I have close to 200lbs off the car right now, maybe a little less. I remember somebody with their car stripped similar to mine put their car on a DOT scale and it came in under 2500lbs. I want to say it was Tifo, but I don't think it was him.
I'd be surprised. Your list:

AC delete - saves 50 lbs
Manual steering - saves 8 to 10 lbs (est)
Manual "Cup" mirrors - saves 4 lbs total
Manual sunroof - saves frustration and over 10.7 lbs
Manual windows - saves 5.4 lbs total
Rear wiper delete - saves 3.8 lbs
Rear seat back - saves 18.5 lbs
Electric hatch release delete - weight savings unknown yet
No spare or jack - saves 40.4 lbs. (worth it?)
My list:
AC Delete
Manual Mirrors
Manual sunroof
Rear Wiper Delete
Fully stripped interior (it has a dash, a one layer piece of carpet, which weighs about 1.5lb and Redline's Rollbar)
Sparco Pro 2000's
Hatch release delete
No spare, jack, anything in the rear
Fiberglass fenders, bumper, splitter, nose panel.
Headlight Delete
Fiberglass rear bumper

I'd be surprised if I was under 2550. Granted I have a turbo and they are a touch heavier than a 924.

Last edited by MPD47; 08-11-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:54 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
My car supposedly is approximately 2550 with driver and it has all the original sheet metal and glass. I calculated the weight savings that could be gained by replacing the sheet metal with fiberglass (i.e., front and rear bumpers, front fenders, hood, doors, rear hatch frame and sunroof) and glass with lexan (i.e., everywhere EXCEPT the front windshield), and, if the vendor's claims of weight savings are accurate, I could get my car down very close to 2000 lbs. I do not know if the claims of the vendor are accurate. I would love to do that, but that would disqualify me from all the racing classes I want to run, and I would have to add ballast back in anyway, so I don't see the point.
Maybe not too bad an idea since you can position the ballast lower, right?
Old 08-11-2005 | 12:56 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Maybe not too bad an idea since you can position the ballast lower, right?
yes, the ballast issue would be ok, but the rules forbid the use of fiberglass (except bumpers IIRC) and lexan (except windshield IIRC, but I would never put in a lexan windshield) altogether. If I were only doing DEs, I might consider. But I want to race someday
Old 08-11-2005 | 01:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MPD47
I'd be surprised. Your list:

My list:
AC Delete
Manual Mirrors
Manual sunroof
Rear Wiper Delete
Fully stripped interior (it has a dash, a one layer piece of carpet, which weighs about 1.5lb and Redline's Rollbar)
Sparco Pro 2000's
Hatch release delete
No spare, jack, anything in the rear
Fiberglass fenders, bumper, splitter, nose panel.
Headlight Delete

I'd be surprised if I was under 2550. Granted I have a turbo and they are a touch heavier than a 924.
Porsche listed your car as 120lbs heaver than mine stock. Plus the list I have in my sig isn't complete. I also have a lot of the little trim bits and pieces yanked out of the car, which probably doesn't add up to too much, but then I also have Momo Rookies instead of the factory seats, which maybe saves 30 or 40lbs. I think were I may be killing the savings though would be the Foha front spoiler thing. I'll have to weight the one I have in the basement and add it into my list as a not-weight-saving item. Excluding that though, I added everything up and come up with about 180lbs saved. Euro bumpers will improve that once I get them painted and installed.

Quick Reply: weight savings suggestions.