Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Serious Vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:30 AM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Serious Vibrations

Just picked up the '87 105K Miles. Drove from DC to Virginia Beach over the weekend and drove her on Monday with no problems at all. This AM pulled out of the driveway, hit the road and serious vibrations appear when running over 30mph. No vibrations at idle so I don't think its an engine mount issue. Shifting just fine, seems just with speed the vibrations appear. Where should I start?
Old 07-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

perhaps check balance belt? although I THINK balance belt problems would smooth out at higher RPM?

Did you hit any big pot holes lately? maybe take the car in for a balance/alignment.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

only thing I can think of if everything checks out with the balance shafts would be severely worn tie rod ends, bent tie rod or ball joints.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The balance shafts really only come into play at lower RPMS, like idle. If your motor isn't shaking apart at low RPM's, but is vibrating a lot at higher RPM's, it wouldn't be the balance shaft belts.

First, check tire pressures. If you have even 5 psi difference from one side of the car to the other (left to right, not front to back), it can result in shimy and vibrations. Also check for flat spots on the tire, and something your tire may have picked up on the road.

Next step: Perhaps the tires are out of balance. Check to see if the wheel weights haven't fallen off one or more of the wheels.

Next, as Stig suggests, look over the suspension. A-arms, ball-joints...etc. Look for anything that has a shiny or 'just cleaned' look vs. the rest of the components -- they typically means something has been rubbing against the area and may have now broken. Check the bushings in the suspension, sway bars..etc. If you are getting a knocking sound from the front of the car during hard cornering, it could be a caster block bushing that is shot. But a bad caster block won't cause vibrations. Check the rear CV joints - make sure they are not missing any screws. Also check the front wheel bearings -- if they are shot, it's usually a higher- frequency vibration that is felt through the steering wheel. (To test the front wheel bearings, lift the front tire off the ground, put your finger on the spring, and spin the tire -- you should feel no vibration if the wheel bearings are ok. Repeat on other side)

If your wheels/tires and suspension are fine, verify that your motor mounts are solid, and not too worn. This tends to cause harsh vibrations in the motor, but again, this would manifest itself at lower speeds/RPM's too.

Hope this helps,
-Z.

Last edited by Z-man; 07-26-2005 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:57 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the vibration is bad enough at 30 to feel it will not be wheel weights. I would check the tires for damage, particularly for sidewall bubbles.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:25 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

As always lots of ideas to check on, thanks for all your input. I have a feeling its tire related so I'll start there based on your recommendations. Any other recommendations still welcomed. Thanks
Old 07-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to know if it's related to wheel speed or engine rpms.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:38 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Wheel speed. Slowing down reduces the vibrations and sitting at idle it goes away.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:42 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be wheel bearings or CV joints, more likely the latter. Is it worse turning corners? That would be cv joints for sure.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:46 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

I thought of the CV joints but I hear no major clicking thats usually comes with the bad CVJ's. The vibrations I get are more of a low freq growl than clicking or high speed vibrations. How big and expensive of a job are the wheel bearings?
Old 07-26-2005, 04:51 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Check your lugnuts to ensure someone didn't try to aquire your wheels, or that they weren't left sorta loose and somehow worked their way outward.

Is it from the front or the rear? Feel it in the steering wheel?
Old 07-26-2005, 05:31 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

From the rear and not much vibrations in the steering wheel.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:38 PM
4thChild
Rennlist Member

Default Updated Info: Still Need Help

Ok, idle is no issue only when driving is the problem. Took a short drive around the neighborhood this evening (20mph or less) and when "coasting" back into the driveway (In neutral) the car would buck slightly as if someone was pulling on it then letting go. Short bursts of drag. When stopped in driveway which has a slight incline the car would almost not roll back while in netural. Its like it sticky, whats going on. Help???

PS I checked the axles and no bolts are missing. There are not shiny parts showing and nothing looks out of place. Nothing hanging etc. Also pulling out of driveway I heard a single click but wheels were straight.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Lawn Gnome
Racer

Raise the front end and check for any play in the front wheels. Check both the inner tie rods and the tie rod ends.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:19 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While you are checking things, removed the rear wheels and check the brakes. However, it sounds like you have an axle that is failing.

Quick Reply: HELP! Serious Vibrations