Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fixed Headlight Mod - Wired Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The State doesnt give a darn. They dont like people fing with their process. If you dont break the rules you have nothing to complain about. I also believe that they ask the person if they made the changes after, however, I have never been there during a questioning session.

The State of Texas does send people in to try to convince you to pass them when they should fail, much like the TBC tries to get you to sell alcohol to minors. The proper answer is that if you are on the up and up it doesnt matter.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bottom line- stick to the rules and you will not have any problems.
Deviate from that and....you are responsible for your own actions.
An inspection station wants to pass you illegally then they know the rules and choose to take that risk.(yes, sometimes the employees take the risk)..and I have seen this happen and the station was not faulted(employee terminated). I have seen any number of violations(both sides) in this area and will not get into the specifics of how.
The inspection system is not perfect- hands up for those who are surprised...heard of the justice system.....

This is a technical forum......
Good work on your headlights hope all goes well.
Custom fab work fun stuff even if in the end you realize you are SOL and it sucks, we and you learn from the process.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:27 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Well someone has to be the jerk around here and take the dissenting opinion, so I guess it has to be me. . . While I respect the effort you're putting into the car the Lindsey nose looks terrible, IMO and even the GT Racing fixed light kit just doesn't do it for me. Seriously, if people want a Supra, sell the 944 and go buy a Supra.
The lindsey nose is certainly an aquired taste. If I wanted a Supra I would've bought one, but I think they look like a bag of a$$ holes and I wanted a 944.

I dunno why so many people are going through such elaborate measures to try and ditch the stock setup - it really isn't that bad for one and for another, how often do you really need the headlights anyway? AT NIGHT! WHEN NOBODY CAN SEE HOW THE CAR LOOKS THAT WELL ANYWAY!!! You get what I'm saying? I'll be the first to admit that the stock setup has its good and bad aspects, but the only good fixed-light setup I've seen is on the 924 GT.
Seeing as you live in Long Beach, no offense, I seriously doubt you know the meaning of a "dark night". There are times out here I cant see 50ft in front of me, more light output is a very very good thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the 924 GT lighting setup damn near identical to the GT Racing one?

I hate to say it, 'cause it's intensely disheartening to put so much work and effort into something only to say "this sucks" at the end, but it's a big part of the design process. You're to be commended for the effort, but at the end of the day, if it doesn't make things better, the right thing to do is nothing. Just my $0.02 - it's your car.
Ah, but that's the beauty of it, it doesnt suck, it's more aerodynamic, it has more light output, weighs less, gives you more room to work in the engine bay and IMO looks better (though yeah that last one is an opinion while the others are facts). So it does make things better, so the right thing to do was something

Last edited by MPD47; 07-20-2005 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that looks great mike. keep us updated.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Originally Posted by MPD47
There are times out here I cant see 50ft in front of me, more light output is a very very good thing.

I know what you mean, some of the dark nights in Arizona on a back road are DARK!!!

Have you thought about by-xenons for the projectors.

I plan to keep the euro fog/driving and put a total of 4 by-xenons into the pop ups. Then making them pop up 1/2 way.
I have the lights but not any of the mounting parts.

Nice work though. very original idea and clean.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:05 PM
unreal_news
Racer

My 02c

I like the stock lights, but hate the room they take up. Im looking to put a completely flat cover over it, just like MPD47's but without any air inlets. I prefer the lighting down in the foglight area, Im religious about having the full setup tho, i dont like just the outside fog bulbs, but when you have the inside ones as well, its a different story. When you see it at night, its seriouly breathtaking. At some point ill put a hid kid in the lenses, but for now, im running like 400 watts out of em and most of the light i get is just reflected off the ground. My inside lights are pointed as far down as possible, it makes two beams come out for like 15 feet. then the outter ones, i raise up a bit so it creates more ambiance.

MPD47 -> post pictures when ur done.

l8r,
-sd
Old 07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
pcarphanatik
Pro

Dude, you've got a unique and mean looking car! Don't worry about the naysayers. If you like it and its functional then go for the gusto!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:56 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Progress Update on the Headlights.

I've almost got one side built. Ive got little details left to do to pretty it up, but I've got em mounted and adjustable, which is my main two concerns. More photos later tonight.

Old 07-21-2005, 04:05 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by MPD47
Progress Update on the Headlights.

I've almost got one side built. Ive got little details left to do to pretty it up, but I've got em mounted and adjustable, which is my main two concerns. More
Thanks for the update...Do you think there will be any issues with heat deforming the front nose around these?
Old 07-21-2005, 04:14 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

That is really slick. My only complaint is that I was looking for my foglight openings to provide air for my oil cooler, and possibly an air intake. The damn pop-up assemblies take up so much underhood space that I would love to get them out of there.

-J
Old 07-21-2005, 04:31 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Thanks for the update...Do you think there will be any issues with heat deforming the front nose around these?
I honestly dont think so. The lights dont exactly run cold, but they've been mounted in GT Racing buckets and didnt melt the lexan covers or the buckets. So I *think* I'm safe.

Originally Posted by Jon Moeller
That is really slick. My only complaint is that I was looking for my foglight openings to provide air for my oil cooler, and possibly an air intake. The damn pop-up assemblies take up so much underhood space that I would love to get them out of there.
Yeah I was thinking about putting in brake ducting (much life Tifo is doing) and the only solution I could come up with was using a Bi-Xenon assymbly mounted in the edge of the intake, much like the 993 Turbo's. It's doable, I just didnt want to go down that route.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

8pm Update:

Bracket Prototype #3 bolted up

Unfortunetly it was hitting against the bumper core support and part of the sheet metal there. So I had to change the U part of the bracket.

Taking the edges off the freshly cut piece of aluminum

Working on the bends

I decided to make these cuts pretty, as I assume #4 will be the last bracket revision.

All painted and drilled and ready for lights!

#3 Vs. #4

Installed:

I've still got to pretty it up a bit from the front with some high temp plastic or some more aluminum, and build the lexan cover for the lights, but I'm very happy with how it looks so far!
Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

SWEET!! im so jealous
Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Smooth Daddio
Time to kick the tires, and light the fires.

Now put smoked lenses over them-for that stealth install, and even with diminished light, you will have a blazing inferno down the road.
Old 07-22-2005, 06:54 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn, Mike, those look great. Honestly I have never liked any of the non-stock lighting projects on here, always thought that stock pop-ups or the GT kit were the only real ways to go. But I like that a lot. There is a local guy here who has a similar set up on his 911SC racecar that has a Moby-Dick-like body kit on it, and it looks good on his car, and since the factory decided it was OK to locate the main lights down low on that car (racecar, not a streetcar, but hey, it's my rationalization so let me have it OK ), I see no reason why any purist would want to scoff at this idea (an updated version of the same). I can't wait to see the finished product. If you came up with a nice tutorial, and template for the brackets, it would be a real service to others on here.

Hey, in regards to brake ducts....................I have been toying around with another idea that might work for you. Do you still have the factory ducts left in the nose on the outside areas of the grill? The squarish ones that are shaped sorta like an "S" that shoot air toward the metal deflectors? I have an extra pair of these, and I thought a good alternative idea is to cut them a little short (right after the first bend), then add some material (fiberglass or something else) to the back to diffuse the square duct down to a 2" round outlet at the back of it. Then attach this to a hose and backplate kit from OG or any other vendor.

Quick Reply: My Fixed Headlight Mod - Wired Up