Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Fixed Headlight Mod - Wired Up

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2005, 12:49 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those look great
I have 996 HID's in my Rabbit and they're great, i wish i could make something like that for my S2 and completely eliminate the pop up lights but i already have Dan's Kit.
Here are some pics from my 84 VW

Vlad
Old 07-20-2005, 12:54 AM
ZV
Racer

Originally Posted by MPD47
Thanks for the input ZV.

Actually that's basically what I'm shooting for. The lows are going to be used for "decent" coverage, basically enough for me to see and not blind people. They are being carefully aimed with the cutoff for the lights. The highs on the other hand are not DOT legal and are being setup as a "No holds barred I can see as far as the light can shine" setup. IIRC we have the highest amount of deer related auto claims in the United States around here. I've gotten 2 without major damage (back when I owned a Mazda), and had another one cause me to hit a snow bank (in the 951).
In that case, I apologise for the tone of the previous post. I've just seen way too many cars with very poorly aimed headlights and it's become a knee-jerk reaction of mine. A lot of people seem to think they could do just as well with a couple of flashlights duct taped to the fenders or something and just don't realise that headlights are actually pretty dang precisely-engineered pieces of optics (the good ones anyway).

I've got a set of ECE Hellas with H4's in my 951 and I love them, I hope that you are as pleased with your setup when you get it installed as I am with the H4's. Perhaps in a year or so I'll get around to swapping out the fogs with the Euro lights and some over-wattage bulbs in the driving light socket (depending upon the composition of the reflector, 100 watts in a plastic reflector is a bit of a no-no) for those back country roads.

Again, congrats and I'm glad that my admonishiments weren't needed.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 AM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZV
In that case, I apologise for the tone of the previous post. I've just seen way too many cars with very poorly aimed headlights and it's become a knee-jerk reaction of mine.
It's ok, I know how you feel, alot of idiots with poorly aimed headlights around here, and driving a low car is HELL at times. Plus for some reason because I live in the country people think it's ok to drive with their Hella 500's on ALL THE DAMN TIME. Uhhg.

Originally Posted by ZV
I'll get around to swapping out the fogs with the Euro lights and some over-wattage bulbs in the driving light socket (depending upon the composition of the reflector, 100 watts in a plastic reflector is a bit of a no-no) for those back country roads.

Again, congrats and I'm glad that my admonishiments weren't needed.
I ran the 100W h3's in the Euro Driving lights with NO ISSUES. I just wanted more light output and wanted to get rid of the GT Racing buckets or I'd still have em.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:33 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Be sure to buy the 3M covers for those lights, the ones for E34 5ers should be almost a perfect fit. If you dont, they wont last 3 months before they are broken if I am seeing your avatar correctly (i.e. without covers).
Old 07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
shockm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rice.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:50 AM
pikey7
Drifting

teeeeeechnically, they will be illegal down there. do you have to pass a light alignment test in your county? methinks you will have major problems passing that.

Having now put a downer on, nice job!
Old 07-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pikey7
teeeeeechnically, they will be illegal down there. do you have to pass a light alignment test in your county? methinks you will have major problems passing that.

Having now put a downer on, nice job!
In most states in the US, I believe, the inspection person basically just checks to make sure your lights work. I've never seen them check alignment. BTW he already knows they will be "illegal" as he said they are slightly below the required height.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Ohio must be an odd state, because I have never had an inspection done on any of my cars.

The only time the state has looked sideways at my car is when I took my drivers exam (back in 1986) to ensure all of the signals and lights worked, and when I go to get it emissions checked (sniffed, and checked for gascap seal and presence of catalytic convertor). And emissions checks are ending at the end of this year in SW Ohio.

Other than that, they don't seem to care about roadworthiness or legality of lights, tires, exhaust, etc. That is highly evident due to the high amount of rusty beaters and cars with 900watts of lights on their front ends running around here.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Ohio must be an odd state, because I have never had an inspection done on any of my cars.

The only time the state has looked sideways at my car is when I took my drivers exam (back in 1986) to ensure all of the signals and lights worked, and when I go to get it emissions checked (sniffed, and checked for gascap seal and presence of catalytic convertor). And emissions checks are ending at the end of this year in SW Ohio.

Other than that, they don't seem to care about roadworthiness or legality of lights, tires, exhaust, etc. That is highly evident due to the high amount of rusty beaters and cars with 900watts of lights on their front ends running around here.

No wonder all the 944's are in ohio... no trouble with inspections!

I'm moving there... got an extra room tifo? it's taken me 4 tries to get the porsche inspected once and teh range just took me 3 tries..
Old 07-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well someone has to be the jerk around here and take the dissenting opinion, so I guess it has to be me. . . While I respect the effort you're putting into the car the Lindsey nose looks terrible, IMO and even the GT Racing fixed light kit just doesn't do it for me. Seriously, if people want a Supra, sell the 944 and go buy a Supra.

I dunno why so many people are going through such elaborate measures to try and ditch the stock setup - it really isn't that bad for one and for another, how often do you really need the headlights anyway? AT NIGHT! WHEN NOBODY CAN SEE HOW THE CAR LOOKS THAT WELL ANYWAY!!! You get what I'm saying? I'll be the first to admit that the stock setup has its good and bad aspects, but the only good fixed-light setup I've seen is on the 924 GT.

I hate to say it, 'cause it's intensely disheartening to put so much work and effort into something only to say "this sucks" at the end, but it's a big part of the design process. You're to be commended for the effort, but at the end of the day, if it doesn't make things better, the right thing to do is nothing. Just my $0.02 - it's your car.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Matt H
Race Director

States with no State Inspection (Illinois, for example) almost always have an even worse setup. A State Trooper can/will give you a ticket for any "inspection" item when they stop you. Get stopped for speeding and have bald tires you get two tickets. One for speeding and one for "defective or unsafe vehicle."

Get a background check from someone in Colorado, it appears that every person who has ever lived in CO has, at some point, driven an "defective or unsafe" vehicle
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
No wonder all the 944's are in ohio... no trouble with inspections!
LOL, yeah, that's why most of them look like this............

testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tifosiman

LUCKY!
I hear the same about FL.
In DFW TX it is close to Cali.-Strict!

Nice headlight plan. Custom Fab work GOLD!
Just strike up a conversation with the inspection guy/or gal...
Works everytime for me.
Being friendly gets you a long way.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Passing a car with a failure item in Texas will result in:
a) suspension or revocation of your inspectors license
b) fine up to X number of dollars (I dont remember the amount)
c) the shop is REQUIRED to fix whatever the failure item is for FREE. You pass a car with bald tires and you just bought the customer a set (no I am not joking)
d) it allows the State to re-check ANY vehicle you have passed. They will then fine you for every pass you have wrongfully given and force you to fix ALL the vehicles.

Yes, all of the above does occur. I once had an inspector suspended for 60 days (which sucked for him because I had no other work for him) and I was forced to fix a car. It was my day off when it occured and I was PISSED. When the trooper who runs the program came over he tried to make me feel better by showing me a dealership that had been routinely passing cars that should have failed. They were fined 29K dollars and had to spend an addtional 14K to fix the problems on the cars they had passed.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Isn't it hard for someone to proove taht whatever fault is ont eh car, was actually there when the inspection took place? Someone could have tracked teh car since teh inspection and worn the tires, or put on the HID lights after inspection, taken the exhaust off after inspection, etc...

Quick Reply: My Fixed Headlight Mod - Wired Up