Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave My 87 y/o Girlfriend (Libby) Her Annual Ride - Today

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 01:04 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gave My 87 y/o Girlfriend (Libby) Her Annual Ride - Today

Some of you remember the story my old neighbor who lived next door to me prior to moving into our house about 2 years ago. To make a long story short, she's been a widow for about 25 yrs and never remarried because she loved her husband sooo much! She always talked about him. He owned and piloted several small aircrafts and collected vintage Corvettes. All in all she describes him as the best husband a women could of ever asked for. To say the least, she says no one could ever take his place, hence her remaining a widow for the last 25 years and living alone.

Well as this story goes on, I bought my first Porsche when I lived by her and she came out one day and admired it and said "Nice Porsche". To which I responded, do you know sports cars very well. She preceeded to tell me her life story in which were interwoven a dozen stories of how her husband raced cars, flew planes and collected vintage vettes. I was like "holy cow". She cried (after 25 years) every time she would tell another story about him. It was to say the least touching! Anyway, (trying to keep this short) we hit it off as great friends until my wife and I moved.

When we did move, she told me should would miss me giving her rides in my Porsche (which I did from time to time because, well because she asked me to). I replied by say, "when the weather breaks in the spring (again we moved in the middle of December) I'll come back and give you a ride". Well she reluctantly said "I'll probably be dead by then". She had been experiencing some health probablems and they were getting her down. She worked 30 hrs per week up until she turned 85!!! Needless to say the health problems were getting her down and caused her to quit working. I replied to her by say, "you better not die, because then I won't have a hot red-head (she dyed her hair red) to give a ride in my car anymore". She replied, OK I'll see you in the spring.

So the story goes that I showed up last spring during my first drive out and stopped by and gave her a ride. She about cried her eyes out because I remember'd her and that I cared that much to give an 86 y/o lady a ride in my car. She really made me feel like I did a good thing! I came back and posted about it on the 944 board. I told her that I would come back next year and give her another ride.

Fast forward to today, I stopped by and saw her sitting on her porche. When I approached her, I could tell she didn't really recognize me. As she talked I could tell she had a little trouble talking. She had obviously suffered a mild stroke over the last year and as a result had some residual speech problems. As I talked to her some more, I could tell she didn't have a clue who I was. After I told her who I was and reminded her about our date from last year for a ride in my car, she again didn't recall any of it. I tried to cue her memory by telling her about my wife (who she adored) and our cat and so on... no luck. I showed her my car in the parking lot to which she replied "Oh, that's a beautiful Porsche... can I have a ride", to which I said "hop in".

I took her for a short ride around the subdivision close to where she lives and the whole time, I could still tell she didn't have a clue who I was other than a nice guy with a Porsche who claim'd to be an old friend of hers who she obviously couldn't remember d/t her stroke. Eventhough she didn't remember me she acted very pleasent to me and thanked me and gave me several hugs before I left. I took some pictures of her by the car and told her that I'd drop by a copy of the photo so she could remember me next year for our annual date.

It was overall kinda' sad because I could tell that the stroke had robbed her of some of her memory, but she was still the lovable Libby that I remember... even if she didn't remember me.

All in all it was kinda' funny I guess, when she realized she really couldn't remember me but still wanted a ride in the Porsche. Sometimes I think we forget how lucky we are to own such beautiful cars.

Here's the 2 photos I took.

Last edited by GOBOGIE; 07-10-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:07 AM
unsigned
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Man. That is a very nice thing you did. Sort of sad story too.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:14 AM
Judson951
Drifting

Thats a great thing you did man. Major props go out to you.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:16 AM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 14 Posts

You're a good man Cory. See you at the fest!
Old 07-10-2005, 01:28 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

that reminds me of the lady that lived in my last apartment building. SHe would always comment on each car i came home with, i like this one, i dont like that one.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you're a good man. The world needs more good men like you. Very touching.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, I usually don't care for emotional nonsense, but that's a great story, and a great thing that you did. For what it's worth (coming from a faceless schmo on a computer) I respect what you did a lot.

Trending Topics

Old 07-10-2005, 02:39 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Well she's right, you do have a beautiful Porsche. Cory you have a good heart
Old 07-10-2005, 02:57 AM
testarossa_td
Race Car

I help the elderly on a regular basis and have experienced that very thing so many times. At first you think it is a shame(and to a very large quantity it is..so much history lost), but for a lot of them it is being freed from a painful burden or memory such as loosing the love of their life.

But it is nice to see someone bringing balance to the evils of this world.

On another note, you really don't realize how low these cars are until you have some one who is elderly who goes for a spin with you....I always hope I don't injure them getting in or out.

To quote a certain movie.
All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in the rain.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:40 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Gobogie,
I love this post. My dad is 85, lives in Florida, drives a Black W6 Firebird, and thinks anyone in front of him is an ***.. Nothing would make him feel better than if I could get the 951 out there (sorry) and take him for a ride. Once a car guy, always a car guy...it's genetic or else someone ran out of chlorine for the gene pool at my Dad. Good job, you're a good man in my book.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:46 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cory, you're a good man.

and that has to have been your longest post...
Old 07-10-2005, 10:14 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Epic2112
Yeah, I usually don't care for emotional nonsense, but that's a great story...
Bet all the women of the forum love this thought!!

But seriously, good job Cory...very thoughtfull of you!
Old 07-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Dave
Race Car

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Sometimes I think we forget how lucky we are to own such beautiful cars.
Sometimes I think we forget how lucky we are to know some really great people. In this case, I'd say you're both lucky to know each other.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:38 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice Cory Maybe next year we could get a few people together and give her the ride(s) of her life!

Kuhl - where in FL does your dad live? My youngest went to FL for the rest of the summer and I may drive down to pick him up in August. Maybe I could give your dad a ride for you?
Old 07-10-2005, 01:50 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

I read this story to my girlfriend last night over the phone.... congrats... you got the "awwwwwww" factor.

Quick Reply: Gave My 87 y/o Girlfriend (Libby) Her Annual Ride - Today