Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Foil Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 11:57 AM
flat12boxer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Foil Question

Hey everyone, I was just wondering about a windshield issue and nothing turned up in the search I did. I was reading through my set of service manuals last night and came upon a section stating that since we have windshields that are plastic coated (well, I do because I have the original in my car). It says that when applying parking permits/state inspection stickers, etc, there is a foil that must be put on before the sticker(s). It states the car would come with three and extras can be obtained from the dealer. So obviously the car I bought got inspected a little over a year ago and they put the sticker on bare, (no razorblade marks thank god). I figure I can grab a couple foils from the dealer, heat the sticker with a hair dryer just enough to peel it off, clean the windshield with rubbing alcohol, put a foil on and reapply the sticker (so I don't have to get the car inspected again, because the inspection has another year on it). My question is does that sound ok to do? I mean am I being stupid in the fact that I want to get the foils? Money isn't really an issue, I am not going to take any shortcuts with this car, even on the little things. Also has anyone ever used these on their car? Do you still do? And since we aren't really supposed to use razorblades on the factory windshields, is the low heat method ok or is there something better?
Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Is it me or does absolutely no one have an idea of what I am talking about? I'm not kidding LOL, I'll scan the page out of my Owner's/Passport to Service Manual with the written description.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:04 PM
7thStranger
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have never heard of this.

I have the orginal windshield on mine. and I have used razor blades to remove stickers before and it did not damage anything.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:08 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

they are coated on the inside with this plastic. if one shatters, all the pieces stick to the plastic instead of going all over the place.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:37 PM
flat12boxer
Racer

Thanks for clearing up the plastic coating issue. I will throw up the scan of the manual if I have time and if I can get a part number, scan, or both for the foil I'll post that too. I know they make 'em, I have yet to see them myself...
Old 07-06-2005, 06:43 PM
BNTS
Cruisin'

This coating is an option called "Securiflex windsheild", If you have it, the inside of your windsheild will be soft and very sensitive to scratches. It's supposed to keep the occupants inside the car if you crash... Shatterproof windsheilds are standard on all cars and that feature comes with the laminated windsheild.

If you can make a mark on the inside of your windshield with your nail, yuo have the securiflex option.

/Niclas
Old 07-06-2005, 10:18 PM
tod84944
Drifting

I have been producing windshields for 10yrs, and I have never heard of this. The windshields in cars today, have a piece of vinyl in between the 2 pieces of glass. It does just what airbop described. It is actually a fed. law that all windshilds in the US have this. If you have an original windshield, and across the bottom it has places that looks like air has gotten in, this is the vinyl that has pulled back some over time. If a car is sold in the US, it has to have the vinyl in between the 2 pieces. It has been this way I know of for 10 yrs, but could have been that way longer. We have been using it in our windsheilds since 82
Old 07-09-2005, 07:42 PM
BNTS
Cruisin'

Do a search for "securiflex" at: http://www.sae.org you will find at least 7 reports on the subject of the "double-laminatet" windscreens.
It's 2 different things, laminated windows came in the 60:ies, but this inner laminated was a rare option on som brands in the late 80:ies or so.
It is VERY sensitive to scraches and possibly for stickers as well.
Optioncode for Porsche 462:Sekuriflex windshield.

/Niclas
Old 07-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard of this but very few cars seen to have it. I wouldn't worry about the inspection sticker now, it's already on there. I you have this windshield option, wait until the inspection is due for renewal and then remove the sticker in the manner you feel is safe. it won't be necessary to save the old sticker so your attention can be on the windshield instead of the sticker. Then, have a foil ready for the new sticker.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:09 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

CURSES! FOILED AGAIN!
Old 07-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I believe the windshield warnibng applies only to some earliest of the airbag cars. There's a reference to it in the owners manual for my 87 "S" about not attaching radar detector suction cups to the securiflex windshield.

I'd look it up, but I have no idea where it is
Old 07-10-2005, 02:32 PM
BNTS
Cruisin'

If you have the Securiflex option, it will be marked at the lower left corner of th e windshield with... "Securiflex" and a sticker above the rear view mirror that says "Caution, don't put stickers on this screen... etc"
I have this "rare" option on my car and its quite obvious if you have Securiflex or not, scratches, cautions, markings etc.

Quick Reply: Windshield Foil Question