Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: IS THIS REAL?
YES
83.87%
No way!
16.13%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Is this for real? Home Made Centrifugal Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 02:18 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If his numbers are not being pulled out of his ***, this might be a very interesting idea. I still have a few questions related to long-term durability however (like what kind of bearings, etc.) It initially looked like he was just deleting the hot side of a standard turbocharger and driving it mechanically. If someone were to do this, I'd be very skeptical of it ever making much power since turbos have to spin extremely fast to produce significant airflow - in the tens of thousands of RPM. Even with reduction pulleys going 1:5 on an engine turning 5,000 RPM is only going to spin that thing 25,000 RPM. Barely enough to produce any boost at all. If he chose a turbo that had extremely radical blade angles and was designed for low-end build, he MIGHT see some gain there. I'm still not sold on it. Interesting idea but I need more convincing. . .
Old 06-10-2005, 02:45 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since the drive pully is offset from the center, I would suspect that the back assemble is geared to increase the speed of the Turbo. The combination of gears and belt ratios could make the >100K speed.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:52 AM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geo
It can all bloody well be done. All it takes is someone willing. And certainly someone not interested in others who like to tell people something can't be done.

Those who say something can't be done should stay out of the way of those doing it.
"Can it be done?" and "Should it be done?" are two different questions.

I've never heard anyone claim on this board that it's impossible to do. OTOH, I do recall many people saying to do it makes no sense, financially at least. And, to date, their arguments have yet to be seriously refuted.

-Mark
Old 06-10-2005, 05:50 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

George - your best post ever.

Right now, some people say, "just buy a 951"... But if 944s were priced like 911s, would it be then be worth it to more people to invest $3-4k in a NA 944 to make it *****-fast?

I'm thrilled that this guy appears to be tinkering with stuff in his back yard and popping out dyno sheets to prove it. I hope he is successful!
Old 06-10-2005, 05:52 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Serge944
Those people have engineering experience. Besides, Audi meatwagon engines are even more expendable.
More expendable than a 944 engine? Come on now. . . . . .
Old 06-10-2005, 06:37 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

heh. now im really pshyched to get my project off the ground. need a frkin job...ebay only funds so much.
(and now having to buy tires....ouch. expensive)
Old 06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
L8 APEKS
Three Wheelin'

Looks interesting! I'm still taking suggestions for my project at the end of summer (N/A headwork w/ nitrous, S/C, Turbo conversion, Turbo swap, 968 swap...what to do, what to do!), so maybe I'll add this to the list of possibilities!
Old 06-11-2005, 01:37 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

/ponders...
Old 06-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Sabbath
Advanced

Well I got an email back, here is what he said:

To say it can’t be done or its impossible, is just an ignorant statement. If you believe in that bunk, you better not ever buy a Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, Powerdyne and especially not a Rotrex or any other Centrifugal supercharger, just go stick your head in the sand.

Especially the Rotrex, it is smaller than the other units and uses a Planetary Drive, and is built from a turbo housing, do your research.

The problem with most of those units is their large size and focus on larger displacement engines. Goal is a smaller unit, not to small, the right amount of boost potential and CFM flow.

Now if by some stroke of genius you think you have to spin 100K-120K to make decent boost, yea right… go look at some compressor maps and come back and try again.

SIMPLY PUT the wheel speed required to make boost is relative to the size of the compressor wheel, bigger the wheel lower the rpm required to make boost.

So if X size diameter compressor wheel (impeller) spinning at 25K = 5 PSI boost and 40k is just over 8 PSI then you need a ratio that would give you that speed. Of course wheel design and housing design are factors, such as A/R and trim. So if you can make over 8 PSI at 40K, well it’s just a matter of simple math to make more or less boost or to set when you make that speed.

Go do some research and read these articles then come back and ask some right questions, I might give you the answers.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng.../0411em_super/
http://www.hboss.net/4runner/a30jun02.htm

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?id=31
http://www.automotivearticles.com/Turbo_Selection.shtml

Articles are pretty good... anyone want to comment on the wheel speed design things? I looked up some compressor maps... I am still trying to understand it all. Can someone explain? I am still trying to figure this out, real or hoax and this guy isnt being to friendly.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:16 AM
Sabbath
Advanced

No one seems to be posting? I see votes, but what about data and opinions.

I mean according to what I see this could be a cheap solution for not only us, but if he is doing a 2.0 and 2.5 liter and his stuff is capable of working all the way up to just shy of a V8 could this be a supercharger solution for just about any small displacement engine?

What about the 3.0?

I look at this guys other posts and apparently he makes or has made all kind of stuff like his own Map conversion for the 944, Custom EFI stuff, Nitrous setups, Water Injection kits, and even Individual Throttle Body setups and apparently this is not the first Boost related setup he has made and I dont mean just for the 924 or 944.

Anyone look at this stuff closer and tell me more? If this is for real and he starts offering these, is it realistic to consider putting it on a 924S or 944?
Old 06-15-2005, 07:43 PM
Sabbath
Advanced

So quiet... guess if I asked about how to add a supercharger everyone and their brother, sister, aunt and uncle thats on the board would be flaming the post, I ask about something someone is building and it gets all quiet... hemm.

I see someone posted on Pelican that claims to be the other half of this project...
Old 06-15-2005, 09:02 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Helstrm
I wouldn't sell him short. He has built up quite a few cool projects and does his research before he starts. I have seen him back up pretty much every idea he has come up with and back it up with data.
What projects has he completed?
Old 06-15-2005, 09:16 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This has got to be the dumbest poll......................................everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrr.

If you are interested, buy the damn thing, test it, then give us some real-world input. Are the results of this poll really going to convince you to part with your money and buy it? If so, put me down for "YES". I love helping people part with their cash.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:36 AM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by Sabbath
no its not going to help me part with my cash, the point was trying to get some serious real input regarding this. In other words someone with half a brain who has a clue and understands the principals and such commenting... A few comments have been good... others just say it can be done and the guy is for real, but where is the meat of a good debate?
I don't mean to be rude, but now it sounds like you're trolling.

You got 28 responses.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:36 AM
Sabbath
Advanced

I did say that some comments are good... I was just hoping for more meat. I guess I was hoping for a discussion about the details, what can and cant be done, more of that and less of the "what has he done" "part with cash..." and "you cant spin it that fast" and more of the stuff like you posted GEO and others, wanted facts and the like... you know a discussion or a debate, something you can learn from.

I mean I get that it can be done if I am to believe what people say supporting this guy and the idea behind a home made supercharger. I am not attacking the guy, It just all seems to easy, to simple and to cheap... so makes me wonder if its real. So like an idiot I post on this board hoping to learn something about it and the possibilities, you know hoping someone would say no and here is why or yes and this is how...

I want to believe its real... but why cant we have a serious discussion and talk about facts, instead of pointless comments, even like my earlier ones GEO pointed out. I will strike them from my earlier post.

I dont want to turn this into a negative thing... I just dont get it... some of those turbo and supercharger discussion are like 10 pages and most of it is all about buy a 951, with some good information tossed in about how it can be done, but most are total flame outs... Here is a product that seems to be just what the doc ordered for more power... but their isnt a lot of discussion...guess the guys comments on 924.org hold pretty true.

Quick Reply: Is this for real? Home Made Centrifugal Supercharger?