Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber parts, whatchu want?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 10:05 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by pikey7
Chevy badges.......

"Porsche" inscribed valve cover to fit a LT1? Then the purists wont be able to complain that the motor doesnt say porsche.

If you cant do that can you make the audi rings inscribed on a valve cover to fit an LT1?

If not can you make one that says "Callaway". Wait, I think Callaway already has that.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:11 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,173 Likes on 1,229 Posts

How about those chrome girl stickers truckers stick on their mud flaps. I would like a carbon fiber version for my 944S.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:41 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hAx0r: paypal me $4000 each, how many do you want?

Tom, I won't do it for an LT1, but I will do it for an LT5 >)

I fully understand why people won't make parts after hearing these suggestions.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:45 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol

I'll email you the Solid works file tomorrow, i have to get my laptop back from my friend.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

How about something that will actually be the best bang for the buck. Like a CF hood. Our stockers weight 70lbs, no joke. If you can make a NICE, fitting CF hood i'll be all over it.
Vlad.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:21 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
hAx0r: paypal me $4000 each, how many do you want?

Tom, I won't do it for an LT1, but I will do it for an LT5 >)

I fully understand why people won't make parts after hearing these suggestions.
Then could you make me a bowtie to put on my S2s cam cover?

Seriously, the strips on the dash, and console would be cool in CF as well as the area around the window switches. other companies sell it, and i don't know how well they sell etc. but that would probably be the most logical thing to do for a late 944.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:51 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Originally Posted by Russian Rocket
How about something that will actually be the best bang for the buck. Like a CF hood. Our stockers weight 70lbs, no joke. If you can make a NICE, fitting CF hood i'll be all over it.
Vlad.
Fit nice with hood pins, or fit nice with factory hinges and latch. Building a couple ply skin with some holes for hoodpins wouldn't be bad, but building up enough for hinges to mount and shocks to mount, and a latch would be a pain, and alot of material. . . and all over it for how much? I suppose a sacraficial hood to make tooling out of will run me a hundred bucks or so.

Tom, seriously about the interior stuff, it would look better if it was just painted black. The graphite we use doesn't have the 2x2 twill look that all the ricey crap does, its unidirectional, and doesn't look that good, but it performs.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:00 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

I don't have a problem with hoodpins as long as the price will be reasonable
Old 05-19-2005, 12:59 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna try and make a design for a rear diffuser, as well as a collection of underbody panels to help make the diffuser more functional. Any idea of the thermal resistance of CF? i.e. will a piece next to the muffler / cat have serious issues without heat shielding?

I'm also interested in making a 1-off front splitter (mostly 2D in design, essentially a flat lip). This would be 1-off due to the less common nose I have on my car. The template could certainly be re-used for anyone else with a fiberwerks nose interested in duplicating.

Also I'm kinda framing up an idea in my head for a cold air box to go essentially where the horn is (kinda like campeck's, but just a little further forward) and would be routed through the hole left when the AC drier is removed.

All of these I was planning on doing in fiberglass...but if you can do them in CF, all the better. I imagine I'll have to make you templates, but what would the cost be for 'roughly' finished pieces?

Looks are of little concern for any of these as they are all essentially hidden functional devices.

Also I 2nd the IC hard pipes. I understand what you're saying about the intake idea having flaws...but what about the hard pipes which would be connected via silicon hose?
Old 05-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Rocket
I don't have a problem with hoodpins as long as the price will be reasonable
If you did go with the hood....I'd paint it (sorry...not a big fan of the black hoods...plus as already mentioned...it's not 'stylish' CF), and use hood pins...regardless of if there was a hood latch mount.

My only requirement would be that it use the stock hinges and fit square into the hole (preferably with gaps 1/8" - 1/2").
Old 05-19-2005, 01:13 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

How about a CF replacement for the sunroof panel???
Old 05-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Batwings.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:22 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Riff
How about a CF replacement for the sunroof panel???
i second a sunroof replacement panel
Old 05-19-2005, 03:34 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

scootin: as long as they're not touching It won't be a problem. I'm most likely going to stay away from body panels becauase I can't make dedicated tooling there, and it takes alot of space and time. with brackets, you can make them using modular tooling, and a router and its pretty easy and cheap. Hard pipes are very doable, but again they require deticated tooling and reverse engineering from another part. splashing molds isn't that difficult, it just requires more resources than I have at hand.

rushin rocket: porsche reasonable, or rest of world resonable. One off parts tend to be quite pricey even when raw materials are coming from the trash bin. The cost comes from design and tooling. I'm trying to limit both on my end to make cheap parts.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:36 AM
bleucamaro
Drifting

scootin: send me an autocad .dwg of your idea.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber parts, whatchu want?