Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbon Fiber parts, whatchu want?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 08:42 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro

Steve: Were the center lights an option, or a turbo thing? My car doesn't have them. That might not be too bad to make. CF isn't a good material to make a chin spoiler out of. ABS would be much better because when you curb it, it will bend and not break.
No, the center lights were not an option but an abomination that the previous owner had done. He 'only' drilled separate holes three times to mount it. Short of weld up, I'm looking for something to flll the spots left and right of where the license plate should go. I can always fab up a metal piece or just bite the bullet and repair/repaint the holes. A nice CF J-pipe for an AFM with a bend to mount the air filter behind the headlight in a sealed box would be nice. The rubber ones tend to crack a lot.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bleucamaro
scootin: send me an autocad .dwg of your idea.
Hmm...don't have autocad. I've still gotta mock the idea up in cardboard first.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:18 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

How about a CF strut tower brace. Say a recreation of the 968TS brace.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second the intercooler pipes
Old 05-19-2005, 03:49 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK- I would love, as previously mentioned, a CF hood, 968T-style strut brace, a SR panel (one that is made w/some sound deadening & made functional to open & close- could be manual style as opposed to electric though), mirrors shaped like the Aero's would be cool, except, slightly smaller maybe? The base mount for the Aero's is about as heavy as the mirror casing itself, since it's metal instead of plastic...

Other ideas- I would LOVE to find someone to make a back for the glove box door- like the early styles w/the two cup-holders, only, slightly deeper, so they actually work- I would be happy just to put the early style on the back of my later AB style door, but, it wont close- otherwise, is identical in shape- I would think this would be very easy to do- the backside only screws onto the back of the glove box door- it's very small, etc... what do you think? Hell, I'd be happy to have one out of plastic, actually... even still, just to get rid of the AB warning label... that thing just bugs me... kind of like the "unleaded fuel" sticker that people often leave above the steering wheel... anyway...

How about some sort of carbon fibre spacer for the steering wheel that would match Momo etc...? Only by 20mm instead of 15mm? I would love more, but, this is the limit- the turn signal switch gets too far away otherwise- then, better yet, a way to ALSO space the whole base out a little, but, I'm not sure this is possible... How about some small blocks to use a pedal spacers? I could REALLY use these- just simple blocks made slightly smaller than aftermarket Sparco pedals or something...? Would it be possible to make some & then be able to drill into them to mount them later, or, would hte carbon fibre splitor what? They would need to be close 2.5" thick... IF I could space the wheel out another 15mm or so (from the base) then I would like the clutch to be ~2.75" & the others to be a hair over 2.5"- otherwise, a hair smaller- maybe ~2.25" range... I have them at just over 1.5" now & want more... I also have the wheel spaced at 20mm by stacking a 15mm spacer & a 5mm horn bezel ring- having a prob finding new longer bolts to match, now though... any ideas?
Old 05-19-2005, 04:21 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also- what about just a replacement batwing, w/out the spoiler? I would love to have a nicer looking chin spoiler of some sort, but, batwings seem to be hard to find used- many are broken nowdays, &, from what I understand, are expensive to buy new... ???

oh yeah... how about something to replace the rear seat assembly? I, like many others, have removed the rear seatbacks & have realized what a mistake this is- it's very ugly loooking- I want to remove the seat bottom- 968CS had something back there- a shelf- even nicer was the 911 CS- very basic, but, had a trim piece... so did the 968 Cab- it's the nicest, w/lockable doors, but, more technical... Anyway, all of these replacements missed the mark- they are all very heavy- silly really- the seat w/back, &, seatbelts (shoulder style) all weigh close to 35lbs total- the pieces Porsche made to remove the rear seats are all made of thick wood- this is WAY too heavy... I would LOVE to find some really thin, STRONG, lightweight material that I could cut to fit, mount, & carpet over- carbon fibre fits the bill perfecty... you could even divide it into two piece- right & left- it's only ~1" foot deep- the center tranny hump can hold something to brace the center too & connect the two pieces, to help structurally, etc... it's not like anyone would be sitting on it anyway... more than a case of beer maybe...? :-) Just two straight, rectangular pieces would work for many of us- as long as we could cut them to fit w/out screwing up the stuff....??? I could make some measurements of the rear seat area if it would help....?
Old 05-19-2005, 05:06 PM
Geo
Race Director

If you're serious, I have an almost finished plug to make a mold for a center gauge pod (replacing the speaker grill). I've abandoned the project because one tube of my rollcage goes right through the center of where the pod would be. I'd be more than happy to give it to someone who would make molds and make them available for a reasonable price. I've offered it up before but no one has taken me up on it. The rules are however that it MUST go into production and not be either a one-off or a single run item. In that case I'll keep it until I can do something with it.
Old 05-20-2005, 01:50 PM
FletchDM
Instructor

Geo,
What production volume are you looking for? What is the anticipated demand? I could make something like that happen, but it sounds like you are asking for quite a commitment. The biggest obstacle for me would be that I don't have an early dash to test-fit the parts on. I drive an '88.

-David
Old 05-20-2005, 01:58 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'll be happy to send you either an early dash instrument surround or a .dwg file of those pieces so you can make trim kits for the early cars. I'd definitely be down with that.

You want 2D cad or 3D models?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Geo
Race Director

Originally Posted by FletchDM
Geo,
What production volume are you looking for? What is the anticipated demand? I could make something like that happen, but it sounds like you are asking for quite a commitment. The biggest obstacle for me would be that I don't have an early dash to test-fit the parts on. I drive an '88.

-David
David, I don't have any numbers I'm looking for. I'm just looking for a commitment to the community here.

What I'm afraid of is giving it to someone and finished parts either never seeing the light of day, or being produced in such small quatitites for such a short period of time that nobody gets them.

Basically, if I'm going to give away my work, I want people to be able to get these pieces and not just one time only.

As for fitment, that absolutely should NOT be a problem since the plug has been built on an actual early speaker grill.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

somewhat off-topic...but does anyone know of any good program for creating .dwg files that runs on linux? Or if the only option was I could reboot into winxp if there was a free equivelant to autocad I could run.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:09 PM
BigRed
Pro

The interior of the glove box? Mine literally fell apart into many pieces spilling the items into the passenger floor, so my glove box is now useless.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:25 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Supposedly you can now run Acad 2000 (and possibly even '04) on Linux using proper configurations and WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). I had a friend of mine e-mail me all the information about a month ago and I've been meaning to test it out on my system but I've been too busy with other stuff. If you want I'll dig it up and forward it to you.

For one, I'd LOVE to get rid of WIndows-based anything on my home network. I only keep my Windows machine around because it's the only platform that I can reliably use to run AutoCAD. If this information I have ends up being true (and according to my buddy he's using it daily without a hiccup), I'm going to 100% Linux-based network and never looking back.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:44 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Supposedly you can now run Acad 2000 (and possibly even '04) on Linux using proper configurations and WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator). I had a friend of mine e-mail me all the information about a month ago and I've been meaning to test it out on my system but I've been too busy with other stuff. If you want I'll dig it up and forward it to you.

For one, I'd LOVE to get rid of WIndows-based anything on my home network. I only keep my Windows machine around because it's the only platform that I can reliably use to run AutoCAD. If this information I have ends up being true (and according to my buddy he's using it daily without a hiccup), I'm going to 100% Linux-based network and never looking back.
Ironically I'm linux on my desktops and windows on my servers. Kinda backwards I know, but it's pretty hard to run exchange on linux.

Anyways, those WINE instructions would be nice, but would only do me good if I had a copy of autocad...and I can hardly see buying autocad for just drawing up a couple parts.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:33 PM
Russian Rocket
Pro

rushin rocket: porsche reasonable, or rest of world resonable. One off parts tend to be quite pricey even when raw materials are coming from the trash bin. The cost comes from design and tooling. I'm trying to limit both on my end to make cheap parts.
Can you give us a rough estimate if coupla people will be interested???
I don't have the money for it as of this summer but come september i'm getting my college grants... I'm interested in a hood pin version. I don't have a problem buying a top notch product for extra cost.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber parts, whatchu want?