Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone repaired the factory front fascia?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 10:57 AM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone repaired the factory front fascia?

front fascia/fiasco/spoiler....anyone repair cracks before? what glue or epoxy did you use? i have some plastic weld stuff that DOES NOT BOND POLYETHELENE OR POLYPROPOLENE PLASTICS...but i think im safe from that. strength of this epoxy is 3500 psi. would this withstand high speed winds and road bumps? product is from versachem from my work. any other suggestions?
Old 05-08-2005, 11:11 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I repaired mine before I painted it. I had about an 18" crack along the lower lip, right where it meets the vertical "slats".

I first held it in place with some epoxy. It didn't seal it completely. I then put some fiberglass body repair stuff along the underside to for support. After that, I filled the gaps with 3M bumper repair stuff (I forget exactly what it was called, but it's like Bondo for polyurethane). It's held up for three years so far.

BB.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:16 AM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

I think that any product (bondo, primer, paint, and clear) should be the flexible type specifically used for urethane/composite facias. I have a freind at work that keeps broken pieces of old facias to use as hot-melt filler for scrapes and gouges. Kind of like melting P-tex for repairing the bottom of skis. Just getting the correct paint combo is critical, look at all the peeling paint on some poorly done facia repairs. Unless you can back up those cracks with some compatible fabric/epoxy product the old crack will telegraph right through the new paint on the first impact on a really cold day. I think Eastwood carrys most everthing you will need. Even Kragen has most of the flexible bondos. Good Luck, keep us posted on how it comes out.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:37 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

3M epoxy syringe...nuff said. Its a two part syringe that you mix together and it bonds plastic etc very well. Did my 89 w/ that, it was very cracked up. Worked great! then paint w/ a flexible paint like eurethane- not enamel which will crack and flake off.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2005, 11:44 AM
wrecktech
Racer

There is a product called duramix and it is sold at paint stores. It is the magic fix. It is a two part product that mixes in a disposible tip. I repair covers all the time with it. If you need any more info let me know.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:43 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

we sell the duramix stuff too, im guessing that is what dan is talking about... my friend used that on his svo by-wing, and it didnt hold up too well, even though it cost him a lot. mine sags, its not an entire tear, but where the small middle vertical connects to the lower lip, its only hooked on the back part, and i guess its a tear around the front edge of the vertical.
kuhl951, is the hotmelt deal only with 944 front ends? i know thta mustang fascias are basically 2 part epoxy mixxes that burn instead of melting. are the 944 front ends somethign you can melt together? like melt the bottom edge and stretch it out so i can have a really sloppy looking n/a chin spoiler? i left all my tool at my friends garage, so i wont get to try this stuff til next weekend, ill try what i have first. i also figured i might have to reinforce it with fiberglass. keep the tips coming everyone.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:05 PM
wrecktech
Racer

we sell the duramix stuff too, im guessing that is what dan is talking about... my friend used that on his svo by-wing, and it didnt hold up too well, even though it cost him a lot.
I have never had a failure of duramix products. Your friend may have used the wrong type of duramix or the repaired part may have been tpo that does not repair well.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:35 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by kennycoulter
kuhl951, is the hotmelt deal only with 944 front ends? i know thta mustang fascias are basically 2 part epoxy mixxes that burn instead of melting. are the 944 front ends somethign you can melt together? like melt the bottom edge and stretch it out so i can have a really sloppy looking n/a chin spoiler? i left all my tool at my friends garage, so i wont get to try this stuff til next weekend, ill try what i have first. i also figured i might have to reinforce it with fiberglass. keep the tips coming everyone.
I can't tell you if the 944 fascia is anything special or thermo-set (do not reset with heat) or thermo-plastic (reform with heat and set). I know that carmakers are using many different mixes now than back in the 80's on our cars. I don't think you can stretch the lip into a lip spoiler though. Go to a pick n' pull and see if you can find a broken section off of an 80's German car, preferably a P-car. Cut it into strips and try the burn test someplace outside. Even with a flame it should still drip molten material. I don't think you can use this method if the fascia is on the car unless you stand it on end.
I think the key is getting the torn edges to heat bond before using any backer or filler. I used a soldering iron with flat tip to repair the cracks on my son's 88 Acura. I gouged out the front side of the crack and did the melting from the rear first and stiffened it with a flexible Bondo over soft fabric used for elastomeric roofing. I used the corrrect primer but never applied the base or clear. It's held up for 2 years now. I am not endorsing this method, it was just a way to do a cheap repair at the time. He claims he gets better tips delivering pizza in a beater with 2-tone fenders than when he drove our Q45 while his car was down!
Old 05-08-2005, 02:36 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

so what all is required to use the duramix? the tips, the mix, do you sand the area? do you have to build the mix up on the crack or whatever? are there different types of the mix? can you use it just as a glue to fix a crack? do you grind a groove out of the repairable part?please give me the low down.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:32 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

more tips! more tips! !!!!!111one!!

Quick Reply: has anyone repaired the factory front fascia?