Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Semi-OT: Met an unhappy Cayenne owner at the pumps today

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:52 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Porsche-O-Phile]This is from The Ultimate History of Porsche:

In 1970, the year the cars went on sale, a 1.7-liter 914 cost around $5,200, while the 914/6 was just $500 cheaper than the more powerful, and to many eyes prettier, 2.2-liter 911-T at $8,300. . .

So in 1970 dollars, the 914 is:

$5,200 / 0.24 = $21,666.67 based on $0.24 per $1.00 in 2004 dollars.

The 914/6 is $8,300 / 0.24 = $34,583.33

The 911-T is $8,800 / 0.24 = $36,666.67.

Tell me **** isn't overpriced now? Last time I looked at a 911 (about two weeks ago) the price for a basic coupe was just slightly less than DOUBLE the same car in 1970s dollars.

The '05 Boxster is MSRP-ed about $50K. This is $34,583.33 / $50,000 * 100 or 69.1% overvalued if indeed the 914/6 is comparable to the modern Boxster. Nice car, but a rip-off for the value, IMO. Want a Boxster? Buy used and let some other sucker eat the rapid depreciation. In two years you'll be able to buy a nice '05 for under $25K. Watch.
That comparison is all well and good, but the Boxster has more bells and whistles than the 914 or 911T EVER hoped to have. It is much more car by comparison, and has the things that todays market demands (including a list of safety equipment that the the two older cars never had, tell me, would you rather be in a crash in a Boxster or a 914? NHTSA would agree with me).

FWIW, both the Boxster and Cayenne are amazing cars. The early 2.5 Boxster were a little low on power but hella fun the drive, the S model is fantastic. The Cayenne in the Turbo is so fast it is silly and handles like a dream. If people could get over their pompous "I hate SUV" BS they would take one for a drive and realize how good a vehicle it is.
AMEN. I am sick and tired of certain 'listers on here that bash SUV's for the sake of it and for no other reason. I have an SUV (Pathfinder), and when it wears out, I will pick up a used Cayenne or Tourag (after I let someone else take the depreciation hit )
Old 05-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, hating SUV's is normal, but they aren't all bad

at least Porsche made the best SUV out there, right?

I know I'm gonna have fun with my the Turbo pepper my dad's coworker is willing to let me borrow (hopefully he wasn't joking)
Old 05-08-2005, 09:06 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman

I have an SUV (Pathfinder), and when it wears out...
Ha! It will never wear out dude!
Old 05-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fishguy
at least Porsche made the best SUV out there, right?
Perhaps. Definitely the ugliest.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Making the "best SUV" is like having the best male nipples. Who cares.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Making the "best SUV" is like having the best male nipples. Who cares.

That sounds like a rock-ism to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like pompous ignorance to me.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:24 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

I think the Cayenne was a good move for Porsche.

Think about it...The most hard-core track dudes need SOMETHING to pull their car and haul around all of their gear. So why should Porsche let Detroit's Big Three get that business when they can create a truck with some of the handling qualities of their full-bred race vehicle?

I'm not a fan of SUVs myself but more and more I do keep finding myself wanting and sometimes needing the flexibility they offer. If I'd get one, I'd definately want it to perform better than the average lumbering land-barge -- so at least now one of the choices would allow me to "keep it in the family"

Now to go back on topic, the guy who re-badged is Pepper is an idiot. His rationale is warped, but to each their own!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:58 AM
ApexCars
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this SUV hate is stupid. Ya'll are saying, if you want to move people get a minivan, if you want to move stuff get a truck. Have you ever driven a minivan? Tell me one minivan that doesn't absolutely suck. Your saying that if someone held out the keys to a Cayenne and a Chevy Venture, you would want the Venture? Now whose BSing who. As to trucks, yeah, you can get a 4 door truck and carry a family of 4 and their stuff. Now what happens if both of your kids want to bring a friend to the movie, or you go to the store and get groceries and it starts raining, or you have your shop tools in the back but you want to go to Home Depot and still have your shop tools when you come back out to the truck. Some people get lockable fiberglass covers so things stay mostly dry and don't get stolen but then you need to haul something that is a little to tall and you can't close the cover, now what? Tie it down so you can crack the fiberglass when you hit a bump or when a semi blows past, unbolt it and take it off and then go back for it later? SUV is the better of both worlds, it works for most every situation and isn't a minivan. Being a Texas native, I know about trucks. More trucks are sold in Texas than in the rest of the U.S. combined. In fact, more Ford trucks are sold in Texas than all trucks combined in the rest of the U.S. so I've seen 'em all and every possible thing that can be done to them or with them.

Now, as for the Cayenne, I've driven the Turbo and been given a ride through the offroad torture track in one. They are amazing vehicles. Even though I feel the BMW looks better, I see the Cayenne as a natural progression of the 959 concept. They spent all that time and research making the 959, and other projects since, true go-anywhere performance vehicles. Where else are they going to use that technology. I can't really see to many people buying 911's with all-terrain tires to go out and fill corn feeders in south Texas. Although, I have seen that done with an X5 and even with a Cadillac Seville.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OK first of all, there are good uses for suv's, See pic #1.

Second of all, there is more good uses for a cayenne. See pic #2

Nuff said.
Attached Images    
Old 05-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Last I checked there were plenty of four-seat vehicles out there that got better than 15 mpg, didn't pose a safety hazard to other motorists and didn't have a chance of killing someone HUNDREDS of times higher than average in a crash.

"Pompous ignorance" you say? I'd say getting an SUV to be trendy just like everyone else, particularly a "Porsche" one so you can say yours is better than theirs is pretty pompous and ignorant also. SUVs are not necessary. They're unsafe, they're dangerous, they're environmentally insensitive (way worse than a sports car even), they're typically driven by the biggest idiots on the planet with a host of distractions to pose the maximum hazard to other motorists. Sorry I'd rather be branded as "pompous and ignorant" any day than a socially irresponsible *******.

Yeah, you "need" these things to cruise around our concrete-encapsulated society whilst watching your built-in plasma TV and chit-chatting on your cell phone or to the other eight people inside. Never mind the fact you're in a 5,000, 6,000, or 7,000 pound piece of rolling road disaster. No worries, when you f*ck up you'll just kill the family in the other car - no biggie. At least they won't be alive to sue you.

Want to go off-road? Get off your fat *** and into some hiking boots or on a mountain bike instead of ripping paths into the few forests and other unspoiled wilderness areas we still have left. Dragging a multi-ton vehicle with every environmentally unfriendly chemical oozing from it or stuck to the bottom of it into remote areas is really a great thing for our planet, isn't it?

I only hope the SUV presents the nail in the coffin for GM and Ford. Both were stupid and embraced these things like the second coming of Christ because every lame-brained American out there simply HAD to have one, so they jacked production through the roof, stopped working on passenger cars (which foreign companies gladly stole all the market share for) and hiked the prices up. Then they sat back fat dumb and happy thinking that every bozo in America was good for a $40,000 check every five years while gas prices kept going up. . . up. . . up. And now it's biting them in the ***. Ford is positioned better than GM is right now, but neither company has passenger cars that can hold a candle to the foreign competition. And you know what, the SUVs did it. Good. I hope every single one of those things ends up with a bankrupt company's badge on it in five years due to our own collective hubris and ignorance in failing to think beyond ourselves and our own egoes. Maybe then we'll start thinking in more of a societial way. GM and Ford screwed the pooch and America just sat back and watched and threw money at 'em. Serves them (and us) right if it happens.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 AM
Matt H
Race Director

SUV haters always say that there are vehicles that can do X. You said it in your first statement. So, lets hear them. Please let me know what they are so I can go look at them.

Since you brought it up, owning a sports car is just as socially irresponsible. They dont get good gas mileage (yeah, I know 944s do but they only make 140HP, about at much as a base model Civic that gets 40+), they dont survive crashes well, they generally only hold 2 passengers and most of them are not very envirofriendly. Let just exclude this argument since I can already see this headed to the abyss. Just answer the first question for me please. Which cars/vans qualify for your first sentence?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:53 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Owning a sports car isn't nearly as socially irresponsible. The intention of "passenger safety" in a crash isn't to KILL the passengers of the other vehicle, it's to actually protect the passengers of the car by using intelligent engineering - not just throwing more metal onto it.

They handle better than average and they don't tend to roll over as much. Oh, and last I checked I could get better than 28 mpg in mine. On my bike I can get 40 mpg without even trying. Next.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:21 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Owning a sports car isn't nearly as socially irresponsible.
So, your whole argument comes down to who is LESS socially irresponsible?? Not much of a basis for the "holier than thou" attitude!

Old 05-09-2005, 12:36 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Back to my unanswered question. Which 4 door cars/vans are as capable as an SUV and at what? I.e. a 4 door Taurus can carry as many people. I am waiting. I keep hearing about all these cars that can do what SUVs do so which ones are they?

Quick Reply: Semi-OT: Met an unhappy Cayenne owner at the pumps today