Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"

I remember discussing this many moons ago, however I don't remember how it panned out. I guess I should be discussing this with John directly but I haven't been able to get ahold of him and regardless I wanted to see what everyone thought about it.

First, please do not hijack this thread. Period.

What would you Rennlisters think about different "levels" of membership. Personally, I think that 18 bucks just isn't enough for what we get -- unlimited, nearly 24/7 tech support for our cars. I also think smoothing out the membership revenue would be a benefit to Rennlist.

Here is my idea:

I would not object to setting up an automatic payment to the Rennlist paypal account of 5 bucks a month out of my account. This is easier to swallow financially speaking then 60 bucks at one time, but will end up being just that per year. I would like to see if there are any others out there who would be in favor of such a setup. It would help create a stable flow of funds to support Rennlist financially, instead of the sparatic at best membership drives and renewals. It would relieve the burden that Jen has of keeping up with everyone's membership dates and renewal dates and keeping her from having to spend money to send out the associated docs. This would use Paypal's "subscription" payment system, as we would in essense be "subscribing" to Rennlist.

Also, there could be different levels. For instance, the $2/month level, $5/month level, $10/month level, etc., etc. (this is just an idea, feel free to shoot it down or add your own).

Now, this is not a thread to discuss whether or not Rennlist is "worth" this. Take that elsewhere. This is a thread to discuss ideas on making more efficient the process of paying for memberships, as well as increasing the dollar amounts of certain "levels" of memberships (with added perks, of course).

Any by the way John D. if you're reading this and don't like this idea, feel free to delete this thead but call my on my cell (still have the 3993 number).

-Matt
Old 05-05-2005, 09:16 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd don't see a problem with giving more money than the normal membership cost if one wants to.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:43 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just quit smoking and that cost me over $90 per month so I would give $5 per month. I spend more than that per month on a file planet membership that I never use..
Old 05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
CO944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would definately be down for a monthly payment.

(although admittedly.. not many people responded to my last question. )
Old 05-05-2005, 10:48 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

call my on my cell (still have the 3993 number)
dude, my last cell # ended in 3993.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:20 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd rather pay it all at once. I hate monthly payments and being a slave to the man. Anything I can do to eliminate monthly payments is a good thing. If I can afford something, I pay for it and get it. If not, I don't get it. Big deal.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Clowd
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I'd rather pay it all at once. I hate monthly payments and being a slave to the man. Anything I can do to eliminate monthly payments is a good thing. If I can afford something, I pay for it and get it. If not, I don't get it. Big deal.
Everything you say reminds me of either me or my dad. It's crazy.

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2005, 11:24 PM
icat
Race Car

Not here. Sorry. I'm a BIG fan of Rennlist, but I'm not in for a monthly fee. I will support this site by buying a membership until the day I no longer own a Porsche, but $5 a month is $60 a year - and that's $18 more than PCA. This is a web forum - plain and simple.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I'd agree with you if you were talking about purchasing a rennlist membership in credit, hence required monthly payments. This would be a choice, based upon a level of membership.

Problem is, many people find so many reasons as to why they cannot afford a measley 18 bucks. It would be hard to use that argument if one was talking about less then 2 dollars a month...
Old 05-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a member, but I doubt I'll renew again with ******* moderators like the guy on this forum. What a jerk.
Old 05-05-2005, 11:55 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Peckster PM sent.

Back on topic. What other ideas do you people have? OK -- so you hate monthly payment or you like monthly payment... if you don't like my idea, do you have any of your own?? That's what this thread is about.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:01 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Matt,

I noticed you are a "lifetime member". I'm not sure how one obtains this level of membership but do people with this status currently pay annual fees?
Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I also don't really like the idea of a monthly payment system. One more thing to pay a month is silly, i am glad to pay my fee's when i renew, if John needs more money to keep the site up or improve it i would pay and i think most people would agree with the extra fee if its needed.

Hey i got an idea - why not make the 911 owners pay more since they obviously have more money, it'll be like a tax increase for the top 1% Thats a pretty popular idea these days....j/k

Later!
Erich
Old 05-06-2005, 12:06 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

but do people with this status currently pay annual fees?
No, no additional fees for this "status." John answers the question as to "why" better then anyone. I was just in the right place at the right time I suppose.

As of right now, as far as I know there is no other paid membership amount other then $18/year. You can't "buy" a lifetime membership.

Erich, I think you're on to something...

What about breaking it down by precious metals (seems to be a popular trend):

Platinum: $60/year
Gold: $45/year
Silver: $30/year
Bronze: $25/year
Basic: $18/year

We could talk John into including perks for the higher levels without limiting anything for current paid members.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 AM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Matt O.
We could talk John into including perks for the higher levels without limiting anything for current paid members.
Kind of like opting to participate in a private investment plan for higher returns while those in the current plan remain untouched! Brilliant!

- Sorry, we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

Quick Reply: Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"