Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 AM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont like the idea really; it encourages elitism which has already been a small problem in the past, with member/non member bashing. If you want to give more money, by all means do; but dont use it to buy rennlist rank.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:14 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

In my opinion, if you feel you want to give more to support rennlist, then just paypal them the money. Are you looking for a precious metal status to show everyone how generous you are? I would think that if your donating money, your doing it to give back to the community, not to show everyone else that you donated money. Just my .02
Old 05-06-2005, 12:32 AM
car_slave
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you should have posted this without asking the boss first. Sounds like a surefire way to kill-off your idea.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by car_slave
I don't think you should have posted this without asking the boss first. Sounds like a surefire way to kill-off your idea.
Eh... John can kill the thread if he doesn't like it.

Regarding the "elitism", I understand where you are coming from but we're not on the same page -- I'm not talking about a "GOLD RENNLIST MEMBER" under someone's username. I'm talking about when you purchase your membership, different levels. I don't think the "Rennlist Member" should change, regardless of what "level" you choose to support.

Which takes care of the elitist problem... unless you're worried about people bragging.

-Matt
Old 05-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Russian Rocket
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the precious metals idea will fly. So... we're gonna classify members into "supporters" and then every platinum member will rant about Basic mambers not supporting the rennlist community enough. That will create even more biatchin' than member/non-member stuff.
That idea is going nowhere, if you want to support rennlist just paypal the money, no need to show it off.
We can have a used/not needed parts EBAY auction on a specific date where everyone can help in selling parts even if they don't have any. And 100% of all profits can go to rennlist support. you can do it region-wise. This idea has flaws but if people are willing to contribute you can make it work.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Great idea RR, but I don't get why you are also worried about "gold" members bashing "basic" when I'm not talking about a public label.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmporsche944
In my opinion, if you feel you want to give more to support rennlist, then just paypal them the money. Are you looking for a precious metal status to show everyone how generous you are? I would think that if your donating money, your doing it to give back to the community, not to show everyone else that you donated money. Just my .02
ditto

if you want to give more, just send it.

I think if peopel are complaining about 18 dollars anything more is going to just end up with less people buying memberships... 18 dollars is plenty i think. John says there is about 100,000 unique IP's accessing just this board a day.. figure maybe 1/3rd or even a half of that is one member at different places.... but ok think 50,000. if half of them uy a membership (now we are at 25k) that is 450,000 (THOUSAND) dollars... i dont think you need that to run the site.. so i think working on the 18 dollar current membership price, and just getting more people to buy it, makes more sense.

oh and that's just one board, nevermind all the rest of the boards.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

WHERE did you get those numbers from???? If Rennlist brought in a half mil a year I would not have started this thread.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:19 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I'm not saying it brings in that now, i'm saying it has the potential to. most of those numbers are guess work. But I do recall multiple times of John D. posting about how he gets over 100,000 unique IP addresses accessing the forum daily, and that was only on one of 6 servers or something. I was just guessing that theres maybe 25k of them being actual unique people.

Also, there is a hell of a lot less than 25k paying members. What i'm saying is we should try to further promote the 18 dollar membership rather than going to a higher price.. To me... if i didn't have enough for the ultimate membership, I would wait until i had enough to get it, rather then buying the basic and knowing i don't have the full deal.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:23 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
I dunno - on the 944 Forum alone, we take somewhere around 110,000 - 150,000 unique visitors a day (some are IPs from home and office from the same user - but I dunno how to break those out?)

That is a quote from this thread....

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ue#post1952022

I just go by what I see.. this is all I know on the matter and all of this iwas just my take on the matter. You are entitled to your own opinion.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:24 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,
I don't object to such and Ideal, however i wouldn't have a label as to what member has what membership.

Trust me, it cost a lot of money for the circuts we (rennlist) has amongst otherthings.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:25 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John D.
OK - sit down..... I purge the Forum "registered" users every few months to clean out the registered names that have signed on - but haven't used their screen name. So, for example - you mave have noticed that a few weeks ago - we went from over 30,000+ to about 27,000+ that have logged in and posted in the last year to just these Forums.. Add on the unique e-mail addresses "subscribed" to the Rennlist e-mail lists (there are a bunch of those lists) and while some folks are registered under 2 e-mail addresses, it's a minority. So - unique e-mail addresses subscribed to those Rennlist e-mail areas are roughly 80,000+/- folks.... Add back the "other" Rennlist areas (like the 944 Registry, etc..) - you have a total of about 125-135 thousand "Registered" somewhere in Rennlist within the last year and are still using Rennlist....

Using those numbers - all Rennlist Members represent less then 2.3% of the total Rennlist population - and probably less if we took folks down when they actually "expired" - but, we try to give them a few months to reply to the renewal notices Jen send out via USPS and e-mail. As well - we also have a several hundred "Lifetime Members" who are in there, as they donated anywhere from $1 to more when I changed the name of the site from PorscheList to Rennlist. So - if I took those out, it would probably be less then 2% - and closer to 1%?..?
Also here is some more info.

Clearly, there is a very small percentage paying. If we just upped the percentage to say 5 percent? taht would be a huge money increase right there.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WesM951
Matt,
I don't object to such and Ideal, however i wouldn't have a label as to what member has what membership.

Trust me, it cost a lot of money for the circuts we (rennlist) has amongst otherthings.
i'm not doubting that it costs. but like i said.. the potential is there where it is right now.. I think upping the price is just going to make the people who are currently members, pay for the whole thing, rather than more people who are not currently paying, step up to help foot the bill. It's late and i'm studying for an exam, so my thoughts arent coming out well, but do you know what im saying?
Old 05-06-2005, 01:37 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Also here is some more info.

Clearly, there is a very small percentage paying. If we just upped the percentage to say 5 percent? taht would be a huge money increase right there.
Well, yeah. Clearly if 100% were paying members John would buy us all 911 Turbos.

Problem is, most people aren't paying. And it's not that 18 bucks a year is alot of money, it's that most people will find more reasons not to pay then to pay. After all, it's free anyway, right? So where does that leave us? Right back at that "less then 2%" mark. So since that 2% finds value in Rennlist, I'm betting that a portion of that 2% finds value of more then $18/year in Rennlist, hence the idea for levels of membership. I do not think that we should get rid of the $18/year membership and it's perks, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't entertain the idea of higher levels, regardless if people think immaturity will flourish and the "levels of supporters" will bitch at each other. I think that's pretty shallow, personally. A few idiots shouldn't set the pace for an organization.

Arguing against a "higher" level of membership because, after all, there are plenty of users out there who won't even pay the mere 18 bucks, so let's get them, is a poor argument (no offense intended). It just doesn't fly, because we're not talking about an unreasonable dollar amount and we're not talking about ending the 18/year basic membership. Besides that, creating a new membership level doesn't mean you still can't go after that other 98% for the $18/year level. It just gives you more options for those who want more.

And, to clarify, I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT REPLACING "RENNLIST MEMBER" WITH "GOLD MEMBER" or some crap. I'm just talking about creating a name to give a level of membership with certain (more) benefits (more personal website, more private message box size, whatever, etc.) then just the basic. It would only be used when you add the membership to your "cart" to checkout and purchase (through Paypal, whatever). After that, everyone would be viewed as the same -- "RENNLIST MEMBER" -- and if someone got on their high horse and said "I paid more so shut-up" there'd be enough people ready to respond to tell them to pipe down the mods wouldn't even have to worry about it.

So, aside from the argument against due to "elistism," what else? Ideas???
Old 05-06-2005, 01:47 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Problem is, many people find so many reasons as to why they cannot afford a measley 18 bucks....
And most of those reasons are their own way of substantiating the fact that they are too cheap to pay $18, not unable to pay $18.

Quick Reply: Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"