Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 11:05 AM
Jason-85944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like monthly payments on anything...wish I could get rid of my damn house payment...LOL

What is wrong with the current setup? Pay 18 if you want or don't pay at all. I don't see John out here trying to get people to pay more or insisting that they join. John runs this site because he is a true enthusiast and likes helping others out.

My .02,

Jason
Old 05-06-2005, 11:24 AM
tomrc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take on the club fee thing. There needs to be a perceived value for your money. Right now the only benefit of becoming a member is the ability to post FS stuff. Obviously that's not enough to get people to join. I think if people aren't paying $18 a year , they're not going to pay $5 a month either, unless there is a perceived value to doing so.

Most clubs I've used and worked on had a members only section with various sections that were only available to paying members. I'm not sure what parts you can put behind a members only curtain, but if you all put your heads together you could come up with something.

As to why I'm not a paying member, I'm not an owner yet, just getting as much info as I can before I buy one this fall.

Tom C
Current '79 Scirocco owner
Future '84 944 owner
Old 05-06-2005, 11:30 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tomrc
Here's my take on the club fee thing. There needs to be a perceived value for your money. Right now the only benefit of becoming a member is the ability to post FS stuff. Obviously that's not enough to get people to join. I think if people aren't paying $18 a year , they're not going to pay $5 a month either, unless there is a perceived value to doing so.

Most clubs I've used and worked on had a members only section with various sections that were only available to paying members. I'm not sure what parts you can put behind a members only curtain, but if you all put your heads together you could come up with something.

As to why I'm not a paying member, I'm not an owner yet, just getting as much info as I can before I buy one this fall.

Tom C
Future '84 944 owner

Thats incorrect. You get tons of things when you become a member.

Able to post things FS (classifieds and forums)
Webspace (IIRC 200mb)
Email (i think)
Access to OT forum

There are other little things that I can't think of, but its more than just begin able to post a FS thread.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Helstrm
Pro

And I will be the first to say the classified section is a bargain. Everything I have listed has sold in the first day or 2, No ebay fees... no non paying bidders.

The knowledge you will get from the other members is Priceless...... Back to the topic. He has already said that the normal $18 per year fee will stay the same. I believe this is just giving the members that are interested a chance to pay a little more to helpp support the site. I don't see a downside.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM
tomrc
Pro

OK then, how many non-paying people know about the other members benefits besides the classifieds? Maybe that portion needs to be advertised a little more. The only reason I knew about the no FS posting is from the harsh comments from the members when a non-member posted a FS.

I've seen sites with little annoying pop-up reminders that come up when you have posted or read so many posts. A sort of in your face reminder of the benefits of joining. Of course you can just close them and go on but maybe after 10 posts to the forum or 20 posts read.

I'm just trying to help out here, I'm not criticizing anyone.

Tom C
Future '84 944 owner
Old 05-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

but people like yourself start things because you dont have enough to do. IF john needed funds im sure he would let everyone know. Thanks JD!
No comment.

All good ideas. Problem with increasing the amount and frequency of sponsors within the forums will start a new argument from more nay-sayers complaining about selling out. I remember it happened when Goodyear (I think it was Goodyear) sponsored the forum and folks immediately commensed the bitching. And the darn link was only on the top of the main forum site and only for a short time. I agree that sponsors are the way to get the bulk of the income but you can understand the hesitation.

Tom your ideas are good. I didn't even know that non-members couldn't post for sale.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:52 PM
bleucamaro
Drifting

Matt, I don't understand the hesitation at all, unless the previous way of showing advertising was intrusive (allowing pop-ups, and spyware installs). The corral forums is an extrememly good model of how ads can be on all the pages, and not intrusive. Their advertising policy closely mimicks that of a magazine, and they are not biased about the advertisers. IIRC they allow members to badmouth poor service of the advertisers (if done in a gentlemanly way).

And now to contradict myself: I had no idea that you get webspace, and an email addy with membership. To me, those are bonafied perks.

The not being able to sell things in the classifieds seems pretty lame to me, and the only justification I could put on it is to keep spammers out, but thats just a moderater away.

On one hand I feel like someone who doesn't pay taxes complaining about the roads, but on the other, I think you should put bilboards up and let those people pay.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Helstrm
Pro

https://rennlist.com/members.htm

Originally Posted by tomrc
OK then, how many non-paying people know about the other members benefits besides the classifieds? Maybe that portion needs to be advertised a little more. The only reason I knew about the no FS posting is from the harsh comments from the members when a non-member posted a FS.

I've seen sites with little annoying pop-up reminders that come up when you have posted or read so many posts. A sort of in your face reminder of the benefits of joining. Of course you can just close them and go on but maybe after 10 posts to the forum or 20 posts read.

I'm just trying to help out here, I'm not criticizing anyone.

Tom C
Future '84 944 owner
Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 PM
tomrc
Pro

Just an idea for maybe another perceived value: Is it possible to negotiate some discounts from sponsors for Rennlist members? free S&H, 10% discounts etc. would go a long way IMO.

From what I've been reading on this post and the poll post though advertising members benefits would go a long way also.

Tom C
Future '84 944 owner
Old 05-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Helstrm
Pro

There is a 10% discount to members through certain sponsors

https://rennlist.com/sponsors.html

Every Sponsor with a * gives discounts..
Old 05-06-2005, 02:51 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Isnt the inherent value of Rennlist the community itself? The knowledge, the hundreds of mistakes everyone keeps you from doing to your car becuse of their contributions to your questions and concerns.

The web space and email are great, but thats window dressing. The heart of the site is the people and the wealth of information at your fingertips. We're all experts in something so chances are if your question cant be answered here, it cant be answered.

Its not about deciding whether you can afford to support Rennlist. Its about whether you can afford not to.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Helstrm
Pro

Originally Posted by UDPride
Isnt the inherent value of Rennlist the community itself? The knowledge, the hundreds of mistakes everyone keeps you from doing to your car becuse of their contributions to your questions and concerns.

The web space and email are great, but thats window dressing. The heart of the site is the people and the wealth of information at your fingertips. We're all experts in something so chances are if your question cant be answered here, it cant be answered.

Its not about deciding whether you can afford to support Rennlist. Its about whether you can afford not to.
I posted this in a similiar thread

I myself am still new to the P-cars, But I bought my membership even before I had my project car just due to the things I learned reading everyones posts. I have yet to see anyone ask a tech question that could not be answered by one or more members. It's like getting a 2nd 3rd 4th .... Opinion from a mechanic without spending a dime or even having your car towed to a shop.

Then every so often another member falls on hard times and everyone steps up to the plate to help them out in any way they can. I have seen free parts shipped. Money donated.. Wrenches turned... Even members driving accross statelines just to take a look at a car for another member that is too far away before they purchase.

I just rebuilt a 944 engine and did the belts on a 928 using instructions I got from this board. How cool is that? Do I think that everyone that reads this board should pay? No... But if this board helps you save money and time, why not contribute $1.50 per month ($17.95 per year) It's less than a gallon of gas per month and lasts a whole lot longer.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:00 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I would support a one time fee for a life time membership - then never have to worry about it again. I don't care about having the "lifetime member" tag by my name either. Let's say $250 to be a life time member. That's about 13 years worth of memberships. That way if I sell my Porsche's and take off for a few years, then come back, nothing changed for me. I'd support that.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's the thing. And this harkens back to my earlier post in this discussion.......

We can talk 'till we are blue in the face about this. But, as most of the old-timers know, this subject has been breached and discussed adnauseum. It is unlikely that the people that are not members are going to join because of peer pressure. (again, I really don't care if they are members or not, but I am just addressing this in the context of the discussion and well, I am a bit selfish because I guess I would like to see this site stay around for a long time, so yeah, in a way I want everyone to be a member without being forced into it.......hmmm..........well, you get my point)

It all starts in the home. The members need to help the non-members as much as possible. Do what I mentioned earlier on the free parts thing. I think once someone sees the value, they will continue to support the site. Until then, let them be killed by kindness and help. (that doesn't mean they can step outta line and use this as a free sales posting area though )
Old 05-06-2005, 04:15 PM
CO944
Instructor

If it is fundraising we are looking for then why not
redesign some new Rennlist Shirts and hats?
I am sorry to say the rainbow rennlist gear on the
main site is not doing it for me.

I would be more than happy to buy a Tshirt or
3 or 4 and a couple of hats to support the site
and forums.

Quick Reply: Spin-off thread: Membership "levels"