Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project: Fixed Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I don't intend this to be a flame directed at you personally so please don't take it that way, but why on earth would you want fixed headlights? They look like crap. If you want styling that incorporates fixed lights, get a Supra. I don't think they belong on a 944 or any Porsche for that matter (ok race models like the 924GT excepted). Your car, but I think even a good job will look bad.
You are bashing his opinion, so how is that not a flame at him personally? Why make such a post? If he wants to do this and likes the idea, then he should do it. Why would you ever think YOUR opinion would change that?

By the way good luck! I am excited to see how this turns out!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:06 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 62 Posts

I saw this last night and am still very impresed with the design. My hat goes off to you Wes and your friends for wanting to undertake this project. If you are successful I hope you consider production
Old 04-20-2005, 01:11 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WesM951
I was hoping you'd see this thread. We actually thought the 90mm hella's where going to be too big. Can you grab a shot from dmoffits car, a close up?
Wes I dont think I have any on my computer, but I'll send a link to Dave and hopefully he'll post some insight. I'm moving hella 90mm's down into the fog/driving light location as I'm sick of dealing with the GT buckets and covers.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:13 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 - I predict this thread get to AT LEAST 10 pages

#2 - good luck, 2 years later I am STILL looking for a good solution

#3 - I have a set of the 90MM non Xenon Hella lamps (thanks Dan Wray for ordering them).

Let me know when you have a good working solution. I am about this close to just buying the GT Racing kit and modifying the buckets to accept a better light. Then I can lose what is left of the crap I dont need on the car (and work on relocating the turbo to the front of the car).
Old 04-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Stuttgart 944
Racer

Wes,
I applaud your efforts. Keep up the good work. Personally, I think fixed headlights look awesome on these cars. Good luck man!! Keep us updated.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:18 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Mike,
I'd love dmoffits input as well. Thanks for checking for me.

Matt,
I was hoping you'd pop in. I read the thread last night of another guy attempting to do the same thing.

Right now i'm trying to decide what lights to go with and we'll modify the design from there.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
badass951
Three Wheelin'

By the way, I love the design as well. I agree that dmoffit has a great setup as it is, but I think people are forgetting that nine-44 has the same or very similar setup. Might want to ask him as well if you have any questions. Again, good luck!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:24 PM
MPD47
The Carnage King
Rennlist Member

Wes,

Here are a couple photos I dug up till Dave chimes in.

Old 04-20-2005, 01:26 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Mike,
Old 04-20-2005, 01:28 PM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WesM951

I take it people don't listen to what you have to say when you have to say it.

Firstly, I did say these where all just rough sketches. I still have yet to decide.

Secondly, My headlights DO NOT WORK! Trust me, its not an easy fix. Don't beleive me click the link in my sig.

Thirdly, This is my car! I shall do what I want. There are far worst molestations of these cars out there. Modifying headlights is very miniscule.

Last but not least, if you don't like it remeber what I said in my fist post. (just in case you didn't read it and flamed me anywase, here it is again)
Flamers need not apply!

I agree with you. It's your car.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Stuttgart 944
Racer

It looks like the lights are mounted too low. How does it look at night?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:32 PM
fossil_fuel
Instructor

Wes I too applaud your interest and effort in doing this. I too am working on static headlights (among many other things) for the cars and I hope to have something finished by the end of the summer.

One thing I have learned from watching others list their projects and /or concepts here is that you have to take the good with the bad. Some people can't help but flame for no good reason other than to have their opinions voiced. On the other hand, putting your ideas out there is the only way to get any input or advice from the positive people.

I don't see how anyone could say that the fixed headlights do not look right on these cars. IMHO the Carrera GTS/R 924's are the meanest looking in the line and the static headlights make them stand out among the rest of the crowd.

Go forward and conquer!
Old 04-20-2005, 01:33 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The ghost that never dies.

There is another option to using a quad set of the Hella 90mm lenses, as those are sort of tight fitting into the available space. A new european Hella fixture has a motor on it and moves a shield back and forth to switch between main and dipped beam in a true HID light. I don't know how this would work in the real world vs. the quad 90 mm HID system as I've never seen one in person.

But it would be far cheaper than the 90mm quad system and would have no problem fitting in the available space.

Soooo, if you want me to get a pair of the bi lenses in HID arc, I can check around and then figure out how to get them for a reasonable price with everyone making some money for their trouble along the way. I can tell you first off that we need to go through Europe. Hella USA is sort of like a crazy franchise hamburger shop. I can buy some Hella products cheaper than what Hella USA gets charged, at least according to many sources.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:43 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by badass951
You are bashing his opinion, so how is that not a flame at him personally? Why make such a post? If he wants to do this and likes the idea, then he should do it. Why would you ever think YOUR opinion would change that?

By the way good luck! I am excited to see how this turns out!
Boy you've either got some thin skin or a seriously delusional notion of how "peer review" of artistic projects works! I will attempt to explain:

Look, when I was in graduate school (architecture) we were required to publicly pin up our work for comment / feedback / criticism by our peers and teachers. Often your work ended up getting trashed, lambasted, ripped apart and shredded. It ALWAYS made the subsequent revisions better - assuming the student took the comments constructively and didn't get defensive and bent out of shape about it. This process (or a variation of it) is still used in professional practice. Ultimately it's up to the creator / artist to either accept or reject all or parts of the initial criticism. If Wes is totally in love with his idea and pursues it anyway, fine. It's his call. With regards to the overall process of criticizing and why it's not a "flame", think of the value of the process - does it devalue you as a person? No. Does it help refine the work and make it better? Yes, potentially. Does it devalue the effort you put into it? No. Does it constitute a "personal attack"? No. Ergo, it's not a flame. I give Wes a lot of credit for thinking it through ahead of time and even going so far as to model it. Nobody's discounting his effort - only his taste. Some things just shouldn't be done. In my opinion, this is one of them. I could lift bricks with my ******* - does that mean I should? Probably not. Same here.

The point is ANY artistic endeavour is going to have supporters and detractors. In this case (as I said), it's his car. Personally I think it'll look like it belongs in "Der Schnell and da' Furious" or something - frankencar, but that's my opinion. If he disagrees he's welcome to do it anyway. I ain't stopping him and I'm not the "taste police". Just if he thinks everyone is going to love the idea, he's kidding himself.

That's all. It ain't a flame, just a disagreement on aesthetics with a fellow 944 owner. Wes, nothing personal at all meant. I thought I was clear about this when I said "this is not a flame" but obviously that wasn't clear enough for the particularly obtuse among us.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:00 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Good luck Wes. You might want to think about contacting a few glass companies with your sketches of the cover to get their opinion on if/how difficult it would be to make 'em. They may cost more now, but better than 3 sets a year in lexan/acrylic........

BTW, a few links to Euro lamps to consider.....
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...ODE=CIB9310880

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL191007

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL934011

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalo...CODE=HEL192007

Quick Reply: Project: Fixed Headlights