Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car washing techniques

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 11:54 AM
nathan944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car washing techniques

Everytime I wash either one of my cars Black & dark blue, I get a crapload of waterspots. It is really annoying. Anyone have any way to avoid this catastrophy?

oh Mr clean autodry is a joke.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:36 PM
ernestedward
Instructor

Use a California Water Blade (search the internet for best price) and 100% cotton terrycloth towels. Can't get any better IMO.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:40 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Maybe the waterspots are already etched into the paint. I like this websire for car detailing.

Autopia
Old 04-16-2005, 01:51 PM
pikey7
Drifting

I've never had a problem with a good old fashioned Chamois leather.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, if the water spots are etched into the paint, you'll need some polish to remove them. As for general washing to avoid water spots, after you're done rinsing, take the nozzle off the hose, so it's the large stream of water, and just pour it on the car. you'll notice the water sheets right off (espescially if it's been recently waxed) and it leaves very little to be hit with the Chamois.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:54 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

We have very hard water in my area and spotting is a serious problem. Don't laugh but I use my leafblower to dry the car after each wash. It works fast and gets the water out of the nooks and crannies that always drip for awhile (mirrors, door handles, tailights, hatch). It also prevents the streaks and swirl marks caused by a cotton towel to dry the car. I only use a 100% polymer treatment, I haven't used wax in over 6 years on my cars. If the waterspots are already there use a clay bar or cleaning polish first to get back to smooth paint or clearcoat.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:55 PM
Mark944na86
Rennlist Member

I use a waterblade and a synthetic chamois. Good results, but it is a bit slow. Maybe I should try the towels rather than a chamois...

If you live in a "hard water" area, the white water spots are probably calcium carbonate.

-Mark
Old 04-16-2005, 01:58 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Mark, I've used the same technique for a while, and I switched to that from towels, because the towels I used left lint all over the car... a pain in the **** to remove...

My chamois is the synthetic one sold at Griot's garage...
Old 04-16-2005, 02:11 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Good quality terry cloth towels.

Keep hosing the car down so the car does not start to dry before using the towels. One towel for drying and another for buffing.
Old 04-16-2005, 02:49 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
I only use a 100% polymer treatment, I haven't used wax in over 6 years on my cars.
Please explain more about your 100% polymer treatment?

I also agree that hard water is the biggest problem. I also agree that the water blade is essential for my guards red paint job. I've had one for over 4 years.

Additionally, never ever wash your car in direct sunlight. Always make sure you wash it when the surface of the car is actually cool... never ever hot.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:01 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
Please explain more about your 100% polymer treatment?

I also agree that hard water is the biggest problem. I also agree that the water blade is essential for my guards red paint job. I've had one for over 4 years.

Additionally, never ever wash your car in direct sunlight. Always make sure you wash it when the surface of the car is actually cool... never ever hot.

My guess is Zaino's. I use it and its great.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 106 Posts

Actually I've gone back to Dri Wash'n Guard. I used it for years and loved it. No silicons, no solvents to dissolve your paint, and works great on clears and dark colors. I feel it's a waste on white cars. Then Zaino came out. I did the whole full weekend Zaino multi-step thing(it's serious work folks). It looked great but after a light rain storm on a hot day I noticed that the top layers had weird pits from the standing water and car sitting in the sun for a couple hours The Zaino pits were very hard to fill without stripping it back down again. I wasn't about to go through that whole weekend project again; apply, cure, wipe, apply...see a pattern here? I quit worshipping at the Church of Zaino 2 years ago.

Anyway the Dri Wash is so easy to apply, bugs and bird turds wipe off with a damp towel after a run, and it never leaves a residue in the cracks. It's not cheap but gives me the perfect balance of a car that is easy to prep, deep shine, repels most everything, and works great with a Calif. Duster. This gives me more time to drive than polish. The only drawback is having to buy it through a distributor but they are all over the internet. A 32 oz. bottle lasts me about 6 months for 3 cars but I clean them often. My friend gets it for me at cost so it's not too bad. I think Mother's has a new product that's very similar but I haven't tried it yet.

As with any good product you have to start with good paint first, nothing works well over a car with contaminants in the paint. A good wash down with Dawn and hot water is usually all I need to get back to clean paint. Since using a pure polymer I've never had to claybar again, nothing really sticks to it. WARNING: Never ever use Dri Wash on Pergo flooring like my wife tried, made the floor feel like you were walking on ice...the kids loved it though until I stripped it off...they could slide a good 15 feet across the living room.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:19 PM
justinrn21
7th Gear

Has anyone ever tried the Mr. Clean car cleaner?
Old 04-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

When i am done rincing my car i put in the garge to dry off where it is in the shade.

THe reson for water spots it the water on the car evaporates before u dry it off with a dry towel. TO avoid water spots after rincing get your car to a shaded cool area where the water will not evaporate as quick and then dry the water off with towels. That will help avoid the water spots.

Hey Black cars may be a SOB to keep clean but when they are clean they are one of the prittiest things on the road!!!! my black 944 my be hard to clean but when it is it is one of the coolest looking cars on the road (i may be a little biased though)!!!
Old 04-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
yeah, if the water spots are etched into the paint, you'll need some polish to remove them. As for general washing to avoid water spots, after you're done rinsing, take the nozzle off the hose, so it's the large stream of water, and just pour it on the car. you'll notice the water sheets right off (espescially if it's been recently waxed) and it leaves very little to be hit with the Chamois.
That's how I wash my car anyways. If you use a spray nozzle, all it does is agitate the soap and make it take longer to rinse. Just use an open hose and you finish real fast.

Quick Reply: car washing techniques