Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Emissions Ordeal!!!! I PASSED!!!!! Funny story!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 03:11 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation My Emissions Ordeal!!!! I PASSED!!!!! Funny story!

Hey everyone, i went for emissions today. I drove an like 45 minutes to these further station because it was highly recommended for our cars. Stupid people there saw my car was near the second line and were like "WE CANNOT TEST THIS VEHICLE, IT RUNS HOT!!!!"

I said i KNOW. They ALL run hot. Its normal, then they cool down, and then go up again, its like that from the factory, and it states it in the manual!!!! The Manager there was like, "Man, i HAVE a 944, and they NEVER do that!" I told if you really have one, then you would know that all Porsches run hot. So we went back and fourth for like 15 minutes. He said go get your car fixed! I said i just got thousands of dollars (exagerated...) of work done and the whole cooling system is brand new! The mechanic made it perfect! Its SUPPOSED to be like that! I said if i come back another day, its gonna do the same thing! "then we can't test it" Then what do i do if you refuse to test it... "Then we suspend your car from the road!" A**HOLE!!!!! OH MY GOD! I left.

So i left and drove back to my local station. Figured, crap might as well try here! So i sat in the line for like 40 minutes there waiting. I kept the car off so it might be "cool" for them. HAHA i got to the front of the line and when it fired up it was still hot damn it! HAHAHA. Anyways, in Maryland now they first test your gas cap for any air leaks by pressurizing it with a special hose. I told the guy he can't get the gas cap off without the car turned off because it needs the keys.

So i went and took the cap off and handed it to him. (it took me a moment, i always have trouble with our cap) A moment later he went to put it back on and couldn't. DUH, i wasnt lying! HAHA. So i go and reattach the cap with just as much difficulty. The guy was like ok get in the car. ?? Ok! Drive foward and pull your parking brake and stay in neutral. Ok. "rev it to 2500 for a second." Ok. A second later he is like ok you pass, see ya later. No dyno or anything! I was soooo relieved. The other place wanted to dyno.

So here are the results....
Gas cap... N/A HAHA they couldn't fit their equipment on our gas caps!
HC limit 220 - Mine was 130
CO limit 1.20 - Mine was 0.37
NOx - N/A
CO2 limit 6 - Mine was 14.12

So i passed on all accounts. How do those readings look??? The first place said if they can't get my car up to 60mph, they cannot test properly. I barely knew i was being tested at the second place! WTF ? Maryland is nuts.

Great! So next week, new chip!
Old 03-21-2005, 03:19 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue S2

I said i KNOW. They ALL run hot. Its normal, then they cool down, and then go up again, its like that from the factory, and it states it in the manual!!!! The Manager there was like, "Man, i HAVE a 944, and they NEVER do that!" I told if you really have one, then you would know that all Porsches run hot.

No offense, but that does not sound right. Your car should not run hot, all 944's do not run hot. Mine never gets to even halfway between the first and second line..........even when flogging it at an event, and that is normal for one in good working order.

I think that the mechanic/tech may have had a valid point there. You might want to have your car looked at.

Again, no offense meant.
Old 03-21-2005, 03:33 PM
Jason-85944
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 87 924S with the early temp gauge used to regularly go to the third bar before the fans kicked on...I was told this was normal.

My 85.5 on the other hand, with the late style dash/gauges never goes above 1/2. In short, Blue...I'd say your S2 should not go above 1/2 either.

-Jason
Old 03-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Between the middle line, and like 1/4 inch above it....its always floating around between there. Three mechanics have said its fine, and many other 968s and S2s ive seen do the same. Like if im sitting in traffic, the needle will start creeping, and then the fans kick in and bring it down. When driving it stays at the middle line or slightly below.

Thats not normal for the 16v cars???
Old 03-21-2005, 03:37 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Whether the temperature needle should fluctuate is irrelevant. Why do they care anyway?

The point of emissions testing is to evaluate the gases coming out the tailpipe. If their machine says your vehicle is above a certain limit you fail, under you pass. A small part of the test is checking the gas filler and visually inspecting for a cat. That should be the extent of their concern with your vehicle . ... unless the vehicle is on fire or steaming/leaking huge amounts of fluids to point where it is imminently dangerous. Then they might have reason to refuse to test it.

Plain and simple they did not want you there and were pulling excuses out of their *** to get you to leave.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:40 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Unless they use their own calibrated temp probe anything the dash gauge indicates is bogus. Typical of brain dead politicians writing emission laws trying to save the world. Remember that the day before most of them were elected they were lawyers.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh, and they did NOT check my car for a cat like they did all the other cars. At either station.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:34 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tifosiman
No offense, but that does not sound right. Your car should not run hot, all 944's do not run hot. Mine never gets to even halfway between the first and second line..........even when flogging it at an event, and that is normal for one in good working order.

I think that the mechanic/tech may have had a valid point there. You might want to have your car looked at.

Again, no offense meant.
What about when you're stopped and idling? Perhaps in traffic?
Mine has always creeped up to the 2nd line (the line that ends the middle area, the line before the red area) and then gotten pulled back down by the fans. Cooling system is in good working order...
Old 03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Mine usually sits just below the 2nd line if I'm cruising on the highway, just above if I'm driving in a city, and may creep up near the third line if I'm stuck in downtown Chicago traffic.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:39 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Wahoo! Tony, it looks like both you and I got the smog done today.. I had to pass the tough CA emissions. I failed the first time (miserably). At the advice of others I checked my spark plugs, rotor and distributor cap - all of which were fried! So I replaced those, ran the thing on the highway for about 10 miles before I got to the station.... passed well within all the acceptable limits.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:42 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine has only gotten to or above the line-above-middle while pushing the car to the limit on the track and in the mountains.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:18 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

In traffic mine will creep up and bring itself down when the fans kick on. I feel its totally normal for my car as Its been doing it for over 7 years...while under power it sits above the 1st white line and below halfway - never moves...
Old 03-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yes, correct, when driving it sits at that first line, and creeps to half way, but basically stays there. When im sitting in traffic, or 45 minutes at the inspection station, it would get up to the second line, fans kick on and it comes down. I've noticed a lot of people replying that theirs rarely moves seem to have a N/A. Wouldn't the 3L 16v engine get hotter than a 8v 2.5l ?? I assume the Turbo cars get hotter under the hood than the N/A cars? Just my guess.

Regardless of what my needle does, there are no numbers written on the guage. There is no "center line" like so many other cars. How would they be able to tell how "hot" my car is anyways. Cause the needle bounces a little? Hasn't anyone been near a Ferrari or Lamborghini after its run at 80mph for over an hour??? Just being near the rear is like a sauna. Im sure they run hotter than my car. Would they not test them????? Its bull****. The second place didnt even care. I don't think this has anything to do with my car being "above the first white line."
Old 03-21-2005, 08:29 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They probably complained about the temperature, as the hotter the engine gets, the more NO it produces. That's why hydrogen-fueled engines are not very environmentally friendly
Old 03-21-2005, 08:50 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Zero10
They probably complained about the temperature, as the hotter the engine gets, the more NO it produces. That's why hydrogen-fueled engines are not very environmentally friendly
What? Why would a hydrogen engine run warmer than a standard gasoline engine? Where does the NO come from in the hydrogen engine?

Quick Reply: My Emissions Ordeal!!!! I PASSED!!!!! Funny story!