Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ERGH! I'm screwed. How can I fix this seal problem?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 10:54 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ERGH! I'm screwed. How can I fix this seal problem?!

Ok. So maybe I should have known better. But I still hate the generic seal removal tool availible at NAPA or any other parts store, because when I pulled my old front seal for the crankshaft, it somehow gouged the outer mating surface. I have three little valleys followed by a ridge, which cut and also gouged the new seal I put in. So, I have two questions:

1. How can I cut down the ridges that are cutting the seal as it goes in?

2. Does the seal stay put and not spin whatsoever when the motor is running?

If the seal doesn't move, and I can at least take the ridges off that are cutting the seals, then I think I will have some good luck with ye old Ultra Black RTV sealant. It's never failed me before for gaskets or sealing stuff up. Ideas? If I have to buy a new crankcase cover or whatever it is that I've fouled up, the car is for sale if you're interested.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:14 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

take a piece of 320-500 grit sandpaper and clean up the scratch a bit. You can try a DAB of rtv on the very edge of the seal before you install it. IT just presses in so dont use any big pry bars or hammers or anything drastic. The seal stays put, but the metal ring that goes through it does. Make sure you lube it on the running surface before you install the metal ring back and make sure it goes in all the way-teeth line up. You will feel it pop into place, if not, your oil pump will not be working. THen torque to like 200lbs...or it will come loose. On the upper seals, make sure you replace the invisible" seals that the metal spacers inside the seals backs up against between cam/balance belts and the spacer. Do not double them up either, make sure you remove the old ones..i know, very complex...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Hm...I dunno if sandpaper is going to do it...They're pretty high. Maybe a 32nd of an inch or so? Here's a crude diagram in *3D* (oooohh...aaaaahhh...)
Attached Images  
Old 02-10-2005, 11:19 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Well, between a 32nd and a 16th is my guess.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

I know the dremel could take it down good, but I'm afraid of making a bigger "hole".
Old 02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i have no idea what that drawing represents...but i dont like it
Old 02-10-2005, 11:25 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

lol. It's uh, supposed to be the void that is filled by the crankshaft seal. See, the circle in the middle is positioned as such that it makes the image look like you're viewing the crankcase cover from oh, say, 45 degrees off center. And those pretty little dots are my rIDGe...and then the "gouge" that follows. If you take a flat sand box, and push some sand in one direction with your hand, it makes a hill, but leaves a valley behind it...that's kind of what I have going. I hope the people in white coats don't come to take me away now.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:28 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

damn thats f'd up. sand it so its not as rough, put some rtv on it and pray.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Yah. I think I'm going to cry now. Thanks for the help.

Anyone else have some miracle idea that we haven't covered? You never know...
Old 02-10-2005, 11:40 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

theres a can of sealant at the local KOI store-parts house- called The Right Stuff...this stuff is as it is called, the right stuff. It is like superglue for your seals. Use it instead of RTV and glue that baby in, just dont use too much, itll never come out.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:22 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you have a Dremel, use the small round (looks like a fat grain of rice) grinding stone attachment for it and slowly grind down the "hills" that were raised. Then fill the valleys with a TINY bit of RTV, and put in the seal. You'll be fine.

Sam
Old 02-11-2005, 12:24 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

youd prob be best to just give the car to me...
Old 02-11-2005, 12:50 AM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Hm...giving away huh. Maybe. I got the seal in, did the oil and the RTV already (so much for The Right Stuff). Had the flylock in, put the Tbelt gear on, ballance belt and A/C pulley on, PS pulley, and the bolt and fatty washer. Torqued to somewhere between 185 and a bajillion ft/lbs. Took out the flylock. NOW, to check the tension on the Tbelt, I went to turn the motor over counter clockwise (with everything TDC of course), and NOTHING. I look at the tbelt gear on the crankshaft, and it looks like its either touching or very close to the crankcase cover. What the heck? Did I lose some spacer? I definately have the ring for the oil pump and the tinier o ring installed correctly. Why is it binding? How come its not turning over? Did I lose something? I don't think so...whats going on around here? grr.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:06 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm, sounds likre you got the timing pulley on backwards? is the guide lip on the inside now? it's supposed to be on the outside, towards the front of the car. Let us know
Old 02-11-2005, 01:07 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh hell, ther is a washer that goes in there too, between the O-ring and the timing pulley, you see it laying on the floor or is the pulley on right?

Quick Reply: ERGH! I'm screwed. How can I fix this seal problem?!