Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

* Is it me or are Porsches subject to more accidents then most other cars? *

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry * Is it me or are Porsches subject to more accidents then most other cars? *

3 accidents in less then 24 hours. *None my fault*

Accident # 1. Waiting to make a right hand turn. I was in a bad neighboorHOOD. Guy driving a car with duck tape on his trunk and a busted out back window INTENTIONALLY grazes my bumper. Calls his buddy on his cel phone to be his witness. Cops side with me dismiss his claim. My car is fine, a little armor all took off the paint on the rubber portion of my bumper.

Accident # 2. The Car Wash. I know I will get flamed for this and yes I have learned my lesson. I went to a brush car wash. Passenger side mirror was pretty much up rooted.

Accident # 3. The big one. Waiting to make a left hand turn to pick up a chessesteak. My car is facing north bound and is sitting still and I am in my lane. 1992 mustang heading south bound. Car speeds up as it gets closer. Kid loseses control and hits the driver side front of my car. His car shatters like a tinder box. My car held up like a tank. Will be in the shop for 3 weeks due to parts being ordered (no putty being used). I also had witnesses so I am good.

However one thing I notice since being a Porsche owner.

1. I am avoiding ALOT more accidents because of other people
2. I read about a lot of accidents from others

Do you think that there is something Sub Conscious in peoples minds that draw them to these cars so they not paying attention or is it just me reading to much into something?

I am a careful driver and have a clean record except for a speeding ticket I am contesting come March. My first.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 86 had the exact same curse. At one point, I was in 3 collisions within 2 months, none my fault. Every time I was stopped.

This was all within 6 months of getting the porsche. Prior to my 944, I had driven my subaru for 2 years without so much as a close call...

I think people just aim for these things.

Good to hear that your last accident will be easily sorted out. Hope you're not seriously injured, and you'll make a full recovery.
Sounds like the kid in the mustang was really flying!

Should post some pictures, so all of us can feel your pain.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM
my87944s
Racer

ONLY Carerra GT owners are more likely to get in accidents. I know of four that have already been wrecked.... Besides that, Ive never seen (except for pics) a P-Car in an accident.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:01 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Baltimore must be a scary place to drive.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:07 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

I was not injured nor was the guy who hit me.

And Baltimore sucks for drivers. MD as a whole is terrible when it comes to the roads. People drive like total A holes.

Oh yeah and Zero10. I got my car in August. Put it in the shop and got it back in Sept to start driving. So yes it has been less then 6 months and I have AVOIDED more accidents of people almost hitting me then ever before. I drove a Mecury Topaz prior to the Porsche and had not 1 accident and never encountered the dumbness of people until now in avoiding bad drivers.

Yeah in my mind my car is a target, people LOVE to hit nice cars.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I can understand. Personally in my 951, I haven't had any close calls, but for some reason they always try and aim for my dads 84 Carrera...People just need to learn to be more alert, even I sometimes get complacent behind the wheel...and it scares me...I try and stay on my toes while driving, but there are people out there who just plum don't care...as for me, I hope I'm not in an accident now that I'm posting this ::knocksonwood::

-Darwin
Old 02-10-2005, 08:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the 3 years I've owned my 924S, I've been hit ONCE with MINOR damage...broken tail light, 2 dents. it was a hit and run, but we caught her due to witnesses and video...

Maybe it was your day, or maybe Baltimore drivers don't know how to drive...
Old 02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Ric_Porsche
Instructor

Here is sort of the good news. When I bought the car it had a minor dent on the passenger side door that I was aiming to get fixed and painted soon. Also the part that did get hit had paint chips from age. So the place I took my car to is fixing the dent and pulling all dings on my car for $516. I do not have to pay for the paint because the insurance paid for the paint on the damage from the accident. So when I get my car back I will get it back in better condition then prior to the accident.
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Turtle256
Advanced

These cars are magnets!! When I had my '87 ( I bought it new in 87) my girlfried at the time ran into the back of someone causing 3k worth of damage. It is in the shop for 3 weeks and I go to pick it up, I am not out of the shop for more than 15 minutes and I get T-boned by some asshat that runs a red light. $4500 worth of damge .. ouch .... I feel you pain.

Turtle
Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Damn... Turtle, that sucks!
Old 02-10-2005, 09:50 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some people are just ******** to the cars. Last weekend, I was hanging out with some friends and someone noticed what looked like the worlds largest bird turd on my hood. Nope; some asshat had decided to spread mustard all over my car's hood. I wish the world had more accountability... and legalized beatings.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yes MD does suck for driving. I swear driving through Takoma Park is better practice than any autocross. Potholes, Aliens, unisured DC motorists, random (suicidal?) j-walkers, no use of headlights at night, and the list goes on! Its nuts!

The "people drawn to these cars" theory might stand valid. The first thing they teach in DE is look where you WANT to go, because the car is gonna go right where your eyes look. Its true, and its a hard habit to break, and proper technique to learn.

People see some car like ours and it gets their attention at the wrong time and guess where their car goes!

Drive a Lamborghini though. Ive SEEN people stick their head out of their SUV and watch until their head is almost as far around as it can go! Meanwhile the guy in front could be braking, a child could walk in the street...etc.. etc... You wanna see a hot parked car, PULL OVER!
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Baltimore must be a scary place to drive.
And live, if John Waters is right.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:19 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Mine just get stolen from the train station, but then again they stole my Legend Coupe from the same lot five years earlier.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:28 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by patrat
some people are just ******** to the cars. Last weekend, I was hanging out with some friends and someone noticed what looked like the worlds largest bird turd on my hood. Nope; some asshat had decided to spread mustard all over my car's hood. I wish the world had more accountability... and legalized beatings.

HOLY CRAP! THAT'S A CRIME PUNISHABLE BY DEATH! or at least should be.... M*therf*ckers.... and here I am thinking spitting on cars was bad..

Quick Reply: * Is it me or are Porsches subject to more accidents then most other cars? *