Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FINALLY running, and some fun in CA hwys

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 04:16 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default FINALLY running, and some fun in CA hwys

After 7 months of work, research, work, failure, work, frustration, work, and some more work, I finally got my car running - I think. See the problem with this car, from day 1, was that as soon as I fixed one thing, some other repair became necessary. So I couldn't be sure I did the fix correctly, or if that actually fixed it. For example the very first problem was a hot starting problem. The last problem was a random shutting off problem. Everything in between over 7 months was tested yesterday. Before I go over the fun details, let me cover the dirty ones. The work I've done looks something like this:

Speed sensor
waterpump, thermostat
timing belt, balance shaft belt (like 4 times)
belt rollers
headgasket job
front seal job
O2 sensor
distributor cap and rotor (only unnecessary repair, but good)
fuel pump check valve
FPR
DME relay
clutch job (!) - the works, with pilot bearing and resurfaced flywheel, new bolts
countless oil changes
brakes
some little things here and there

The best part is, this is the first car I've really worked on! I mean, I've done a few things to our diesels, and a clutch job on my mom's 944 but yeah. Here's the punchline:

THANK YOU RENNLIST, without this place and all of you awesome people I would still have a bucket with a porsche emblem.

So yesterday I finally took it out for a drive to see if everything was indeed sorted out, and it apparently was. My friend and I embarked from SF headed for San Mateo. We got there without incident - oil pressure looked good, temp, sounds, feel, all was good. Now the test - we stopped for gas, and I feared it wouldn't start back up, but it did. YES!!! That problem is gone! So we went to Taxi's for lunch (awesome burgers) and it started once again. All gauges telling good news so far. We headed for some fun roads over the mountains and ended up on 35. I had no idea 35 was so much total utter stupendous fun. We CA people should go for 35 next meet. I took every turn at least 15mph over the posted speed limit for that turn, not one sound from the tires. The sway, or lack of it, was inspiring. The steering felt right, the stock engine and exhaust sounds just fueled my spirit. The downshifting became a sport in itself. And in that excitement I didn't forget to keep an eye on the gauges, which all told happy stories. It was so fun, we got so carried away and lost track of time... we crossed the county border to santa cruz county and were shocked. It was an intersection of 35 and 9. We stopped for a break, took some pics, and stretched our legs (because I wasn't stretching my legs while in the driver's seat.... honest!). Then we figured, we're only like 25 miles from santa cruz so what the hell. We were off, and immediately saw the best road sign ever, that windy road sign, but under it it read "next 26 miles". But this being hwy 9, and heeding the warnings of the CA people here, I took it easy and I was glad! That road is WICKED man, the tires made some noise, and I had to really tone it down, but overall I was still pushing the car pretty good...

Anyway after about 4 hours the car held up great, and really reminded me why I bought a Porsche. It just ate those turns man. And I finally have that car running, reliable and road-worthy! Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-26-2005, 04:19 PM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go - glad to see another CA early 944 is back on the roads.... Good Job!
Old 01-26-2005, 04:59 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely some of the best roads in the country out there. What's crazy is when the motorcycle guys blast past you and touch their knees through the following corners. Absolutely nuts.

I envy you.
-J
Old 01-26-2005, 05:06 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

That IS good news, I'd say that wraps up the work for this year....oh, except that line above your avitar.
Old 01-26-2005, 05:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Show your love...Pay John D.

congrats man! I'm almost there too! My car is happier and happier every time it runs...I just did the following to mine over the year (some things probably missing):

New CV's (Complete axles from Paragon)
New alternator
new oil pan gasket x2 (currently at the dealer for this repair, x2, thank you warrantee)
about 3-4-5 oil changes (I do drive a lot)
Don't even wanna calculate gas
Oil cooler
water pump (x3... some things I'm simply just bad at)
hatch latches
hatch schocks
iPod integration with Alpine stereo
Timing belt (x4)
Clutch slave cylinder
New exhaust, courtesy stupid-*** tow truck driver
I think that's all of the scheduled maintinance, most done myself, with the exception of the oil pan gasket after I f*cked it up twice...

Now, the road side repairs:
Alternator belt loosened and nearly disappeared, total loss of power, late at night, about 10 degrees outside... fixed on side of road
Belt cover bolt backed out into the belt cover, nearly took out a balance belt...
Belt cover bolt again... (both bolts now fixed, last time I did the belts, I tapped the bolt holes, and loctited the hell out of those motherf*ckers)
Total loss of power on the freeway, had car towed, put in new alternator in school parking lot
Clutch slave died, had towed home, where tow driver f*cked up my exhaust

I think that's all of it... Damn, that's depressing...

Anyway, glad to see you got yours running!
Old 01-26-2005, 05:42 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jonathan - I guess I'm ready for the next meet whenever it may be!
Jon - I saw a couple with a motorcycle at the little rest point where 9 crossed 35. I guess they were just chillin'... I did a nice spin-and-getaway on my way out just cuz nobody else was around. BTW I envy you too, you have a 951 ;-)
Kevin I hope to join the ranks of the members real soon. I've been hangin around here long enough as just a user methinks.
Geoff - thats a lot of work man! Soon your 924S will be giving us early 944 guys a run for our money. I remember your alternator repair at night, in sub-zero temps. Not fun, but memorable nonetheless! And that iPod integration sounds cool...

Now that I'm through with repairs, maybe I can spend some time on *gasp* upgrades? Mods? First tires, then sound, then possibly an email to Iceshark...
Old 01-26-2005, 05:48 PM
ckathens
Drifting

Congrats!

Now you see the beauty of 35 and 9. That twisties next 26 miles sign is a CLASSIC!!!

You no longer have an excuse not to go on the next run.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:17 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Rennlist definitely helps a lot of Porsche owners!
Some registered members are actually paid members they just choose not to show it.
Because it really should not matter.
Anyone posting should be helped.
I imagine if Rennlist ever gets in dire straits we will know about it.
And some will be able to give a penny and some a pound.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:25 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's right, I'll be there for sure. While going through those turns at speeds which made me wonder why I wasn't hearing screeching, I had 2 thoughts. 1 - I'm still alive? sweet, and 2 - I wish there were other Porsches / drivers here too. My copilot was good company but I was the only car on the road. That's not a bad thing, but you know.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

So, FRPorscheman, I take it you don't know that the 924S is faster than the 944 from the factory?

It's true!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:13 PM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yeah, knew that, I just try not to remember it . What I meant above was that it would beat our cars as far as being sorted out and shiny. But now I'm curious - how much faster is the 924S than the 944 (like 0-60 and 1/4 mile)?
Old 01-26-2005, 08:06 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Marginal differences overall- us 924S guys just like saying it.

Congrats on getting her back where she belongs- on the ROAD!
Old 01-27-2005, 12:04 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Good job Geoff, Perhaps we will meet on the next drive. Yeah sometimes I take the long way home from work and go up to Skyline. Nice road.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:05 AM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

I dunno Jon, it'd be quite the drive for me....

FR, Yeah, VERY small differences... we do enjoy rubbing it in though...
Old 01-29-2005, 04:19 AM
FRporscheman
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rub it in my face all you want, I'm used to it. My dad seems to think I keep forgetting his 928 can eat my 944 for breakfast, so he keeps reminding me. It's all good - I know he could take me power-wise, but he couldn't keep up on highway 9. I try to tell him the 944 handles better, but that just makes him drive crazy on the freeway to prove his car handles well too, so I just stopped trying. But I guess the 924S handles as well too. I guess then you guys have the best Porsche ever made! Now if only you had fender flares :-P

Quick Reply: FINALLY running, and some fun in CA hwys