Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gave up on the oil pan gasket, new alternator en route, and gotta buy new CV's

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Gave up on the oil pan gasket, new alternator en route, and gotta buy new CV's

Ok, Well, as some of you may know, I attempted the oil pan gasket 2 times in the past week. First time, it leaked from the front of the gasket, second time, it blew out the side and was dropping a quart of oil a day.

So, to avoid removing the crossmember again, I decided to up and say "f*ck it". At the moment, I have no time to do the pan gasket again, with work, school, and whatever else I have coming my way, so the car is at the Porsche dealer having the gasket done right. This way, I'll have a 2 year, leak free warranty. Luckily, I'm good friends with the tech performing the service, and he knocked it down to 7 hours from the quote of 11. so, It'll get done correctly, be warranteed, and it's cheaper than it would usually be.

Now, for the alternator, it was purchased in October, and as of yesterday was cranking out 12 Volts. Chuck at Paragon helped me figure out what the issue was, (that it was in fact the alternator) and has a new one en-route (because it was their alternator). It should arrive Monday or tuesday.

Finally, the right-rear CV is starting to go, I think. I get a clicking sound that's fairly loud, that I can feel thru the shift-lever whenever I accelerate or turn, happens more when I turn. So, on that note, does anyone have any CV's for sale (new preferred, but used in good condition is also good)? As of now, I'm broke, and can't afford them, Dad is paying for the oil pan gasket, and doesn't wanna spend any more money on the car right now (which is understandable).

I pissed off the Porsche gods somehow, and it hurts...a LOT!
Old 01-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And next, a good quality alignment..

A 2 year warranty? thats amazing!
I'm wondering if your oel pan may be warped on not completely flat on the top end- is that possible?
Old 01-15-2005, 09:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

don't think so. It leaked in 2 different places, and I checked with a straight-edge to see if it was warped, which provided me the fact that it is not.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:09 PM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

sorry to hear the oilpan didn't go so well. i was pulling for you...

i know how you feel, though. my balance shaft cover was leaking real bad. i thought it was the oilpan but fortunately it got fixed. still got a minor leak from my pan gasket after about 200 miles on the new engine
Old 01-15-2005, 11:14 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

yeah, that oil pan is a pain in the f*cking ***... that's the one thing that I TRUELY hate about that car, is having to remove the cross-member to get to the oil pan gasket, and having the gasket be that huge, thick, rubber thing...couldn't they have done a cork gasket or would that just not hold up?
Old 01-16-2005, 04:55 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Geoff, if you're looking to save money on the CVs, get the VW Vanagon equivalent also made by Löbro. They're around $40 apiece sans the boots or bolts.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:19 AM
father2nate
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a quote to do the oil pan gasket... is $643.06 out of line for parts & labor? It sounds like it is a heck of a job.
Old 01-16-2005, 09:45 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very reasonable. Just be sure that it's a good shop with experience doing the job and a willingness to stand behind the work.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I second that it is reasonable.. Like Geoff said, it was taken down from 11 to 7 hours for him... 11 hours, at 80 dollars an hour or so which many techs charge... 700 sounds like a deal.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:16 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

the tech we took it to, being a Genuine Porsche dealer, Porsche factory trained techs who KNOW 944's, (used my distributor cap one day when I worked there to aid in diagnosis of another) and are all around good guys who I trust, charge around $110.00 an hour, and for this, I'm DAMN glad they dropped it to 7 hours. $643.00 is a great deal, and trust me, the oil pan gasket is a bitch and a half. it's nothing I want to do again for as long as I own the car.

Luis, I'm going to look into that. I'm geussing VW Vanagon CV's I can pick up at Auto Zone if need be. However that's for the NA, correct? the VW part has the propper number of splines and everything? I was thinking of picking up pre-assembled units with the axle from Paragon for $180.00 a piece, which my dad was going to help me with, and I'll be paying him back $100.00 a check for the next couple paychecks.

Father2Nate, Yeah, like I said, the oil pan gasket is a pain in the ***. I got it right the first time I ever did that, However, that was about 3 years ago when I did my engine rebuild... with the engine in the car, it's MUCH more difficult. Good luck, and take it to a tech who knows these cars.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:31 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
Luis, I'm going to look into that. I'm guessing VW Vanagon CV's I can pick up at Auto Zone if need be. However that's for the NA, correct? the VW part has the proper number of splines and everything? I was thinking of picking up pre-assembled units with the axle from Paragon for $180.00 a piece, which my dad was going to help me with, and I'll be paying him back $100.00 a check for the next couple paychecks.
It's not difficult to rebuild the axles yourself, just messy. f you have the Haynes manual, the process and necessary tools are outlined very well in there. Otherwise, it's also on the Clark's-Garage site.

As for the CVs themselves, I compared the VW replacements to the 944 replacement from Porsche and the only difference is that the VW ones are 1mm thinner, but the splines, diameter, bolt holes, etc. are all identical.

I had the VW replacements on my 83 for years and recently replaced them again. Bought them from http://www.eurowebparts.com logging into the VW catalog.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:26 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Alrighty. New CV's will be ordered tonight. Oil pan gasket is done, I'm picking up the car tonight. Also, new Alternator still en-route from Paragon. I'll likely see that in the next day or so.

Car as recovered from being pissed off at my motorcycle shopping experience.

Quick Reply: Gave up on the oil pan gasket, new alternator en route, and gotta buy new CV's