Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where can I purchase a fuel pressure damper from?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 10:13 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Where can I purchase a fuel pressure damper from?

I need to purchase a fuel pressure damper since changing the fuel pressure regulator did not solve my problem. Where can I purchase one? I checked Paragon and they didn't list them, Pelican doesn't have them for a 91 S2.

If anyone is wondering the problem is that the car sputters a bit upon startup and the "Check Engine" light comes on. But after revving it up a couple of times the light goes off and all is fine.

Thanks!
Old 01-11-2005, 10:54 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you need more pressure not dampened. On my race scirocco we have modified pressure regulators which at start up cause a spit/sput from lack of enough pressure, but once it builds its fine. You may have a clog in the fuel rail or injection system somewhere.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:49 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Try some Techron in the tank, run a tankfull through. Cheap and worth a try. after that check proper fuel delivery, possibly fuel pump?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fpena944
If anyone is wondering the problem is that the car sputters a bit upon startup and the "Check Engine" light comes on. But after revving it up a couple of times the light goes off and all is fine.
I'm experiencing very similar symptoms in the S2 Cabrio.

Another 'lister suggested the Idle Stabilizer Valve may need disassembly and a good cleaning? Problem is it's located under the intake manifold. Any ideas?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:06 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I've tried the Techron in the tank without any success. It seems the problem takes place more so when it's warm than when the temperatures are cooler. Maybe that's just my observation but it certainly seems that way.

I'd rule out the fuel pump just because it runs perfectly after it's initial startup problem.

I guess I might try that idle air stabilizer, but how I do not want to take the intake manifold off the car, ugh...

Luis -- you and I might be busy taking our cars apart this weekend, huh?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:05 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems the problem takes place more so when it's warm than when the temperatures are cooler. Maybe that's just my observation but it certainly seems that way.
You might have injectors that are leaking fuel into the cylinders after the car is shut off. The extra fuel doesn't cause a problem when cold , but causes a slight flooded condition when hot.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rob
You might have injectors that are leaking fuel into the cylinders after the car is shut off. The extra fuel doesn't cause a problem when cold , but causes a slight flooded condition when hot.
Interesting and certainly makes sense. How would I test for that? Remove the injectors then turn on the ignition? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Luis -- you and I might be busy taking our cars apart this weekend, huh?
No doubt! Search for some old posts by Melchior. He had some issues with the idle on his S2 that were cleared up by cleaning the ISV.

As for leaking injectors, how many miles on your car? In my experience, injectors don't leak until the car has over 150K miles. YMMV.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:10 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting and certainly makes sense. How would I test for that? Remove the injectors then turn on the ignition? Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
That's one way. Just pull the rail, tie-wrap a couple of small clear plastic bags over the injectors or fab up some catch cans, turn the key to the ignition position to pressurize the fuel rail for a few seconds, then come back a little while later and see if you've collected anything.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:44 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm actually at about 118k miles. If I don't head out of town for the this upcoming weekend I'll perform the fuel injector test and the cleaning of the idle stabilizer. Otherwise it'll be next weekend's job.

Thanks for all the advice everyone!

Quick Reply: Where can I purchase a fuel pressure damper from?