Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you attach the steering shaft to the PS rack?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry How do you attach the steering shaft to the PS rack?

I am trying to reinstall my PS rack and I can't for the life of me get the damn steering shaft onto the rack. I took the rack out and filed/cleaned each little crease and it still won't go on at all. I've been at it for a few hours and I am near my wits end. Does anyone have any tips on how to get it on there?
Things I have tried:
Prying open the steering shaft with a large flat tip screw driver
WD40
Cleaning and filing the rack end (male end)
Lots of elbow grease and curse words

Any sort of tip would be appreciated at this stage.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am reinstalling a different rack that was in the car previously, but the rack has been in and out twice in the last month, so it shouldn't be that difficult. Last reinstall I had half the car apart so it was a much clearer angle and now it is all back together.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
GlenL
Nordschleife Master

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

On my 944 this went easy. On my 928, same stuff, it was a bear. "Best practice" was to screw a big sheet metal screw into the crack. This forces it open and holds it there while you work it on.

There's also the need to have the rack loose on the crossmember. This allows some adjustment for angles and positioning.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I had to get the steering rod partially connected to the rack before I mounted the rack to the car. With the rack mounted partially on the car I was not able to get the correct angle to slide the rod onto the rack. Is your rack already bolted onto the car?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

The rack is not yet bolted onto the car. My dad and I have been trying to move it and angle it every which way in order to get the proper angle to get the damn steering shaft on.

Glen, Thanks for the suggestion of the screw. We are taking a break for now, but I am sure we will use it later this afternoon when we try it again. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the flat spot on the steering spline is lined up so the pinch bolt hole in the U joint is above it.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:50 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Travis,
The flat hole is lined up, but it still isn't budging...
Old 01-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always just remove the steering shaft then. I believe they come off at the top the same was as at the rack. It should have a U joint at each end.

What I like to do is hook up the lines to the rack and leave it loose from the car. Have someone under there to hold it up and then fit the spline to the U joint. After it is fit then you can bolt the rack to the car. It should just slide in but it will not budge if its off at any angle. Got to be straight.

Also let it soak with some WD-40 to try to disolve some of the rust in the hole.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:46 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coat the splines with anti seize, thats the best way to do it. Works much better than WD40!
Old 01-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

I just did this a couple of days ago - so I actually remember it.

Get the car up high enough to lay on a creeper under the car (or better yet, a hoist). Find the loose end of the steering shaft and pull it close to where you want it to meet up with the rack. Now - with the rack loose from the front crossmember, kind of balance it in your spare hand and bring it to the end of the steering shaft. Guide the stub end of the steering rack into the steering shaft observing the flat and aligning it with the bolt hole in the steering shaft clamp (turn the steering wheel in advance to make sure this is ready before you try to join the two together). If this is difficult, you may want to spread the clamp by driving a screwdriver or pry bar in to open it a little bit.

Basically, with this method you are trying to hold the steering clamp steady and pushing the rack end into the opening. As long as you line it up and keep everything "square" it should go in.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:32 PM
Predator
Pro

This is one of those " man, it went right in" or " man, this ani't ever going in" type challenges. Don't force it, or drive it in with a pipe and hammer method. If you 're sure you're aligned correctly and the pinch in spread enough, then it become a study in patience. I've had them go in in 10 minutes, and had them be such a 'pita' that I had to walk away for an hour or two. The real 'challenge' is trying to access the u-joint through a set of hedders with a V8 in the way. Think my fingers have permanent arthritis from this. Take your time, good luck!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Steel wire brush the splines because rust will make it impossible for the shaft to go in. Otherwise, its always been pretty easy as long as the splines are lined up. I hold the 2 ends together lightly, spin and feel the splines fall into place (the shaft will stop spinning), then I loosely screw in the rack. After that, tap in from the top. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:51 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Guys thanks for all the responses. I do have the rack back in. Just for your information I did steel wire brush the splines, and when that didnt work, I used a tiny file on each spline. Glen came through with the tip of the day with the screw in the gap method. We had to use 3 screws in the gap but it finally worked. I have done this several times and I really don't know why it was such a PITA this time. Lucilly we did finally get it and the car is back together. After a short test drive to check for leaks we got back and the rack doesn't leak (woohoo) but there was a small leak from the pressure line that runs from the pump to the rack at the pump. My dad tried to tighten the bolt down and it broke in half. Doh! Anyways, Ill order a new one tomorrow and some copper washers, but that is easy compared to that damn steering shaft. Thanks again for the tips and moral support!!!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:29 PM
shmucklebuckle
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
Coat the splines with anti seize, thats the best way to do it. Works much better than WD40!
Pepto Bismol makes a good anti seize if you're lazy and don't want to go back to the parts store ONE MORE FREAKIN TIME. And I had to have my PS unit loose to get the linkage on as well. GL.

edit: woops, I mean congratulations.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Predator
Pro

And Jack Daniels is good for soothing the soul after hours of dickin' around with a procedure that thuda takin' 15 minutes!

Quick Reply: How do you attach the steering shaft to the PS rack?