Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please indicate idle screw location in picture of this N/A throttle assembly

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 04:48 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please indicate idle screw location in picture of this N/A throttle assembly

hey guys

could someone point with an arrow or circle where the idle screw is located in this picture? btw this is from campeck's car. thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 05:44 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like he's got a hex-head bolt in there. Can't photoshop it now, but it's that yellowish hex head inside the round enclosure right next to the intake boot lip, just in front of the cable.

Idle bolt should have a slotted head to adjust with a flathead screwdriver.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:55 AM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

that is so weird. because mine is exactly like that. i thought all idle screws were supposed to be a flathead screw. so previously i thought mine was actually missing.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nope, they're right and it does look like that in the little inset there. It couldve been replaced by some bolt or somethingat one time, i'm sure mine was.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

thanks for the help everyone
Old 01-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine is that way also; I've not replaced it and assume that's the original factory construction.
Old 01-05-2005, 04:42 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stahlblau
Now the idle bolt, with the yellow paint on it, how do you replace those and anyone have a part # for something like that? Or is it just a basic threaded rod with a nut on it to prevent it from backing out? Mine has one side of the slot snapped off and can't turn the thing with the nut(it just backs off and the 'rod' thing just stays there).

That is a throttle stop. No need to play with it if it is in spec.-proper idle. Too fast back it out, too low lengthen the stop.

So in short if your car has high idle and backing out the stop makes no difference then idle needs adjusted at the screw indicated by the arrow. If you back the stop and the idle drops then your high idle issue is solved because the stop now allows the throttle to close more.

First thing I did when high idle was an issue and found my stop was a little long. But by and large if no one has touched it the stop should be fine and the idle issue lies elsewhere.

Broken slot suggests someone took a screwdriver to it without loosening the lock nut and snapped it off so you may have a stop issue.

As far as a new stop goes I would imagine someone has an old TB laying around that could part with the stop. But one can be made just like it out of metric screw stock and a hacksaw.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:53 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Actually it is a good question to raise. High idle issues always seem to start out with the more obvious reasons suspected when in light the idle stop, however uncommon, is never considered. My mindset is on a 20 y.o. car with multiple owners I consider every fastener etc as fiddled with at one time or another. Your screw slot broken is a example of that. The yellow you see is a loctite material to help in keeping the stop in place because there is only one nut and a screw the nut may stay in place but the screw can still vibrate loose. In theory you should be able to remove the nut and the screw will remain in place, the yelllow is what holds in there.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:37 PM
dgz924s
Three Wheelin'

Heck the yellow stuff is apt to be very little to a ton on it and placement is optional they just throw it on at the factory.

8mm or 10mm one or the other. Just put the wrench on it and hold the slot with a screwdriver, back the nut to loosen and then you can hold the nut and turn the screw in the needed direction, once set still using the screwdriver hold it in place and tighten the nut. There should be NO slack/space between the nut and mounting tab.

Quick Reply: Please indicate idle screw location in picture of this N/A throttle assembly