Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924 for $250 what a steal

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924 for $250 what a steal

maybe this is has been discussed before...on Rennlist, i'm sure it has some time.

i'm curious what it takes to convert from electic to manual windows....i'm gonna go pick up an old 924 today...for about 250$ i'm hoping.

the electronics in my 944 are "going to hell in a hand gernade"

Last edited by porschefig; 12-30-2004 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:01 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

AFAIK, you can't use the old-style 924 manual window assemblies unless you transplant the whole door to your 944. You can, however, contact Skip at Paragon Products and he can sell you the correct 944 parts to convert your car to manual windows.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:02 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Early car to manual windows should just require the parts from the 924.

Does the 924 have manual mirrors? Want to sell?

Later 944's require a different mechanism, as the crank needs to be in a different place on the door.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the swap a while ago and keep meaning to post an extensive writeup on the procedure. The early and late 924/944 regulators both fit inside the door properly, however the early regulator mounts to the glass differenltly. Because of this, if you find a set of manual regs from an early 924, I think up to mid year 1978, you MUST use the window glass from that same year car. Window glass from any model year 944 WILL NOT attach to very early 924 manual window regulators.

On the other hand, if you find manual window regulators from a later 924 then you can absolutely reuse your existing window glass.

Easiest thing to do though is call Paragon and ask Chuck or Jason to order a set of manual window regulars for your car. The part numbers are 477.837.441.A and 477.837.442.A. Make sure you remember to include the "A" at the end of the part number because if memory serves me the earlier parts share the same part numbers except without the "A". When I ordered mine they were under $150.00 each brand spankin' new from Germany.

Oh, and you need to find manual window interior door panels and window crank handles as well.

For what it's worth, I used a door off of an 86 944 as mockup before I did the actual install and the regulator fit just fine, so I am not really sure what the early 944 door versus late 944 door thing is all about.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=manual
Old 12-29-2004, 08:38 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Manning
For what it's worth, I used a door off of an 86 944 as mockup before I did the actual install and the regulator fit just fine, so I am not really sure what the early 944 door versus late 944 door thing is all about.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ghlight=manual
I was refering to the discussion between Joe Jackson and Skip on page 4 of this thread If you mount the regulator in one of the holes, the window will go all the way down but the crank will hit the late dash. If you mount it in the other hole, the crank clears the dash but the window doesn't go all the way down, using the 477 regulator. Skip found a part number for a different regulator, but I don't know if anyone found a set.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:52 AM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

no, it has power mirrors. i think i'll stick w/ the power windows as well b/c the door panels in this 924 are quite ugly.
this is great tho. i did manage to get it for $250. it's a truck driver's old mom's car. he says the distributor rotor and fuel pump are bad but it ran before. seats are all perfect except a 1 1/2" tear at the stitching on the driver's seat.......THAT is why i bought it. also, i sold my 81' 924 to my cousin and he smacked it into a curb in some good ol' fashion Montana snow storm. I can know give him a set of wheels to replace that bent one! It had a broken driver's side taillight which i know can replace as well. My old 924 didn't have a gas fill door, will now. Finally, when i had the '24 someone ran into the front fender at the school parking lot and the body shop messed up the body line around that corner...so now i have a replacement fender for my cousin. Plus, he can get rid of the "straight pipe to a cherry bomb" exhaust set up if he so desires. AND!!! we have an extra transmission, 924 engine, complete interior, all glass, body, etc etc etc (a whole car, duh!)
Old 12-30-2004, 01:15 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rockfan4
I was refering to the discussion between Joe Jackson and Skip on page 4 of this thread If you mount the regulator in one of the holes, the window will go all the way down but the crank will hit the late dash. If you mount it in the other hole, the crank clears the dash but the window doesn't go all the way down, using the 477 regulator. Skip found a part number for a different regulator, but I don't know if anyone found a set.
Yeah, I remember that thread, that was before I actually had attempted to mount window glass to the earlier style regs I had. Kind of embarrassing in hindsight. Anyway...

I see what you're saying. The other set of part numbers is indeed for manual window regulators for the late dash 944, but they are only listed on the RoW version of the PET. I think because there weren't any/many US spec late 944s with manual windows. I imagine Chuck can get them for you. I think the only real difference is the angle built into the lift mechanism itself, not the hole in the door that the crank spindle passes through. There are actually a couple different sets of fixing points for the regulator on the 86 door I have, but only one hole for the spindle to fit in. The hole itself is actual oval, so that you can slide the spindle up and down in it. Check out the attached picture

That said, if you have an early dash 944 or a 924S you can use the late style 477 regulators I listed. In fact I think you would have to use the 477 regulators due to the location of the hole in the interior door panel and the geometry of the the lift mechanism, but I can't confirm that. I can absolutely confirm that the late 477 regs do indeed work properly in early dash cars.
Attached Images  
Old 12-30-2004, 01:23 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

For what its worth, I have converted two cars to manual windows. It was a piece of cake on both, and all I had to do was pick up the manual regulators from an early car, and drill one bracket for the window, and it fit/worked perfectly. One car was an '83, and the other was an '87. The regulators both came out of early 924's. The windows worked fine on both cars.

The door panels are off of the '83, so I will see if I can snap some pictures of it tomorrow.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sh944
For what its worth, I have converted two cars to manual windows. It was a piece of cake on both, and all I had to do was pick up the manual regulators from an early car, and drill one bracket for the window, and it fit/worked perfectly. One car was an '83, and the other was an '87. The regulators both came out of early 924's. The windows worked fine on both cars.

Regards,
Care to elaborate on the drilling part and how early the 924 regs were? Did the manual regs you used look anything like this with the big *** plastic block on one lift arm?
Attached Images   
Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 AM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It looks like that plastic end piece can snap off and replaced with a late roller....
Old 12-30-2004, 02:02 AM
User 41221
Banned

Or a bolt and a couple of washers... The drilling took place on the bracket the holds the window, not the regulator. Like I said, I will see if I can take a picture of it tomorrow.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

There is a slight difference in one bolt hole on the early to late window regulator where they bolt to the door. The position of the rearmost slider/roller needs to be moved slightly to install the late reg in an early door.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmm, interesting. I know as a fact you cannot remove the large plastic block and replace it with one of the stock rollers. I tried that and found the ball that the block snaps onto is way bigger than the ones that the rollers snap onto. I didn't even think to drill out the ball and use something other than the stock roller.

The other thing I encountered is similar to what I think Kevin is describing in that the overall reach/travel of the very early regs are different from later regs and accommodations would have to be made as a result. That is reason two for why I opted for brand new regs.

I'd like to get as much of this info together as I can to add to my writeup, so the more folks have to offer the better.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:06 PM
User 41221
Banned

try this pic and see if it helps you... I left the plastic block and drilled the front bracket that holds the bottom of the window and bolted it together. FIt and works perfectly.

Regards,
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 PM
User 41221
Banned

By the way, I am lying if I say I know what year the 924 regulators are, altho I *think* they were pretty early, judging from the plastic window cranks that came with it. Either way, I know that it worked on both early and late model cars without much fuss.

Regards,

Quick Reply: 924 for $250 what a steal