Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"949" turbo setup for the "954" plottin and skeemin

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 12:00 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "949" turbo setup for the "954" plottin and skeemin

Well, I'm at it again, lol. I've been talking about my little 959 mock turbo setup for my swapped car, plans are drawn and cash going out tomorrow for the first part! My plans and hopes are to build a sequential turbo setup for my "954" based on the design that Porsche used in the 959. A small primary turbo for minimal lag and a secondary turbo a bit larger to carry strong boost to red. I've done a metric ton and a half of homework on my design. All looks good on paper, talked with a few folks that I beleive to know enough to be helpful and rethought all that I could under various scenarios. I can't do much more at this point other than building it to test on and do some R&D work once running. So, I'm going to try building this freakish toy, lol. Just figured I'd kinda let you guys in on what I'm up to these days, and with any luck it'll be at this year's 944Fest! I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, it'll be done when it's done right.If you guys don't know, the "954" is a 88NA 944 swapped to 951 hence the mix of 944 and 954 and dubbed the 954. I'm pushing further with the 944 version of the 959 sequential setup that I'm dubbing the 949 turbo setup. AHHH yes, fun fun. Wish me luck and I hope not to be making an expensive scrap pile! Hey, anything is possible from a guy that boosted an 8HP Briggs and a riding mower dubbed "Torquie the wonder mower"

Doc Boost is at it again!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:11 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck Andy!
Old 12-27-2004, 12:16 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HELL YEAH!!!! Keep us posted.... I DO wish you luck.... & if it works, I MIGHT be making the 3.5hr trip north to see it, PLUS, bringing $ w/me to get you to do some stuff to MINE....I'm running out of options here.... MANY MORE rip-offs for this car than NON-rip-offs....
Old 12-27-2004, 12:19 AM
unsigned
Racer

You boosted a lawnmower? ROFL. Good luck, I hope it works out. I wanna see when its done.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:25 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I'm at it again, lol. I've been talking about my little 959 mock turbo setup for my swapped car, plans are drawn and cash going out tomorrow for the first part! My plans and hopes are to build a sequential turbo setup for my "954" based on the design that Porsche used in the 959
Please dont take this the wrong way but why? Are you trying to overcome the little bit of turbo lag that is inherent with Turbo cars? I know it isnt for power because every modern car known to man that has dual setups, the first step to making power is to dump the dual and go single turbo.

I think the project is cool, I just dont get it. Is the goal just to say you did it? Please dont take me the wrong way, more power to you for doing it, I just dont see the point at all.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:41 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt, no offense taken, I caught hell about the turbo swap in the first place, lol. Auto X a 951 on a tight course, you'll see the lag a hell of alot. I also deleted the cycling valve to get rid of the "programmed lag" in my car, still not enough. Youll find that most sequential factory cars have pretty nasty setups leaving plenty of room for improvements due to packaging, longevity and warranty. Each turbo has it's efficiency range, almost none to none will do the job from idle to red effectively due to the vast rage of flow offered by the engine. Too small with quicker spool and it strains up top, too big and you'll never get out of the hole. My issue is that I want more up top and have more lag than I want, so I need to go bigger and smaller leaving this option with a "I did it" bonus. Yeah, I'm also doing it just to do it, like the swap, the 8HP and the mower, but I have realistic reason to do it as well.

In short, my hope and goal is this..350-500hp and an NA power band. If successful, I will build the longblock to withstand the power.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt,

I think andy is dead on in his thinking. He will eliminate two great problems that haunt all Single Turbo cars. The first is horrible lag that is apparent even in a stock 951 and that only increases with a larger single turbo.The second is a twin turbo will make his car more streetable and also give him greater throttle response.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you going to increase the size of the upper end turbo to run much higher boost levels also? I think it'd be a shame to waste that opportunity and run anything less than 20 psi in the "upper" turbo. If so, I'm assuming the engine will be built to take the additional load?
Old 12-27-2004, 12:52 AM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Sounds fun
Old 12-27-2004, 12:59 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
Are you going to increase the size of the upper end turbo to run much higher boost levels also? I think it'd be a shame to waste that opportunity and run anything less than 20 psi in the "upper" turbo. If so, I'm assuming the engine will be built to take the additional load?
I think the stock 951 motor is good to about 22-23psi? or maybe even more. I think the largest problem is the need for a better fuel system and the obvious need for a bigger turbo or in this case two turbos.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OOO, I want to help

good luck andy! I have been thinking about this idea ever since you first metioned it to me. Sounds really awesome! I can't wait to see what kind of progress you make, and my engineering mind already has some complex questions for you. I remember you once said, I'm never gonna have the fastest thing out there, but making something cool/fun/different is what it's all about! good luck, keep us posted!
Old 12-27-2004, 01:00 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Best of luck in your effort! I hope it all works out as you planned.
Old 12-27-2004, 01:05 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

shoe can doo it.
Attached Images  
Old 12-27-2004, 01:34 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you conceptually go over where you plan on mounting them, and the turbo specs?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:46 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dunno if I can compete with that thing for uniqueness there dan, lol.

PSI is not a good measurement of flow capability when it comes to turbos. I can't quote #s and can't brag to be an expert but in short. Air temp and density has a big role as far as actual boost. Just an example and I don't know actual porportions and calculations but just an idea, 20psi of boost at 100 degrees and 20psi of boost at 300 degrees can be the same actual mass of air due to the increased density at lower temps and decreased density at higher temps. Like I said, just an exagerated example. The K26#6 may be able to push 25 psi all day without pushing too hot of discharge temps on a smaller engine but the flow requrements of the 2.5L I'm thinking maybe 16-18ish is tops as I have read.

Carl, you got it straight, there will always be someone faster, we'll see how fast I can go.

I am planning to keep the K-26#6 as the secondary turbo to keep costs down a little, upgrading or changing that turbo will not be nearly as hard, basicly just a swap and I think it will be up to the task.

Airflow is pretty much a direct relation to HP, the K-26#6 should be able to flow enough for 250HP safely and the primary should flow enough for 250hp also. Like Porsche, I'm not going to push for max but I will build for it and detune for a window of safety for a little longevity.

Quick Reply: "949" turbo setup for the "954" plottin and skeemin