Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 cup car Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 03:21 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's up with the mirrors and no black rubber trim. Are these oem mirrors with the trim removed or are they aftermarket? If they are original then I'm going out to rip my trim off!
Old 12-13-2004, 07:26 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI, the "Cup" logo above the glove box is not a feature of the Cup cars.
It was fitted to the 944 turbo S built for the french market, as someone in the marketing dept figured out it would better for the cars to be named "944 turbo Cup" instead of "944 turbo S". That always stirs confusion when Cup cars are discussed over here.
You may find a picture of the blue Cup car (pictured above) with that logo in blue, but it was fitted afterwards and is no factory fitment.

PS : the swimming pool party was great fun
Old 12-13-2004, 05:18 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thom, I envy you for living where you do, and being about to go to these gatherings, do you know the owner of the website where I got most of these photos?
I would really love to have some parts of a few ads translated so that I can post them on here, expecially the blue car.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KenC
What's up with the mirrors and no black rubber trim. Are these oem mirrors with the trim removed or are they aftermarket? If they are original then I'm going out to rip my trim off!
Those are early 924/rabbit/golf manual mirrors that were standard equipment on cup cars.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

The blue car was not factory painted in the Maritime Blau color, that happened after it's cup racing life. It belongs to one of Seb's and Thom's friends.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Should be able to get some CHEAP correct?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:33 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Originally Posted by Macfreak007
Should be able to get some CHEAP correct?
If you compare the market value on these cars compared to what the parts needed to upgrade a 951 to cup spec they could be considered inexpensive - cheap is probably not the right way to go when buying a race car.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:41 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

No, I'm just refering to the mirrors I agree, cheap is not the way to go. Lets make a list of the things you would need to upgrade a 951 to turbo cup car spec...
Magnesium Wheels, Brake balance controller, Recaro race seat, Full cage, Brake cooling Ducts, Rabbit mirrors, Coilovers all around( not sure on specific spring rates) Adjustable perch kind? made by bilstien?, What kind of motor upgrades? someone, detailed list...
Old 12-13-2004, 05:48 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Don't forget manual steering, window, locks, stripped down interior, matter cage, no underbody sealant and no wheel wells, beefed up transmission, turboS calipers, magnseium intake, CF hood, plus a buttload of other small bits.

Babelfish of Seb's desc:

Porsche 944 Turbo Cup is Porsche truly made for the circuit. This site treats only of the 944 Turbo Cup "circuit". There is indeed a limited series (approximately 1513 specimens) which was produced in 1988 and which names 944 Turbo S. It s'agit d'une version 250ch equipped well (clim, power-assisted steering, leather, pack hi-fi, fog, etc... for a total d'environ 1400 kg) with the 944 Turbo ones which with l'époque made only 220ch. In France, this special series was produced with 104 specimens and was marketed under the name "944 Turbo Cup". Easy to locate thanks to its monograms "Cup" with l'arrière of the car and the top of limps with gloves. Some were equipped d'un kit 290ch by l'usine but they are very few. These cars, in spite of their qualities, are enough far from the version circuit. Not to confuse them, they are often called 944 Turbo Cup "route" or better "944 Turbo S". This n'est not the subject here. For more d'informations on the differences between Turbo Cup of track and Cup road, look at here: Turbo S/Turbo Cup. Turbo Cup was conceived to take part in races monotype: the Trophy Porsche Cup. In Germany, the Trophy took place of 1986 to 1989 (results on http://www.racecam.de/). In France, the Trophy started in 1987. In 1988 and 1989 some evolutions but not of major changes. In 1989, a distributor of brake Tilton 7 positions appeared qu'un button making it possible thus to disconnect l'ABS since l'habitacle. In 1990, all the other countries passed to Carrera Cup (on 911 type 964). France, it, remained on 944 Turbo Cup. In order to make have patience the competitors, l'usine studied an improvement in the form d'un kit "290 ch" (actually the cars left between 300 and 305 CH to the bench) which was assembled by the company Snobeck (currently SNBE Snobeck in Magny Cours). Only French versions are thus in "290 ch" and there would exist about it less than 40 specimens. The kit was composed mainly of modified cases, d'une regulating of pressure to 3 bars, d'une wastegate modified and of colder candles. You can find more details in the part presses, there is an article on the kit for the 944 Turbo ones of road. Each year, there was between 30 and 40 cars registered with the championship. With each race, Sonauto (l importator official Porsche with l'époque) invited different personalities to run among the regular ones of the championship. C'est thus qu'on saw great names like Belmondo, Laffite, etc... to run in Cup. This car "invitée" did not count for the points of the championship. It would seem that Sonauto placed at the disposal 3 cars for the guests. The rumour says that these cars were a little more powerful than those of the usual competitors... To know all that changes between Turbo Cup "piste" and one 944 Turbo normal, traverse this site and look in the technical réglements inter alia. Here a rapid enumeration of some differences: casing d'huile out of magnesium and of different capacity, pipe d'admission magnesium, bars anti-bringing together AV and AR, arch cage, Recaro bucket with harness 5 points, cap in GFK, rétros specific, not d'antibrouillards, manual panes, distributor of brakes, cuts circuit, not of back bench, definitely decreased insulation, rims 16" out of magnesium (with slicks in 245 and 255), discs perforated and ventilated, plates of competition, free exhaust, not of vacuum pocket, not d'autoradio, not d'enceintes, not of power-assisted steering, not of centralization, not d'éclairage of the driving compartment, etc... in short for the last: approximately 300 CH for 1160 kg. For other technical information, look at the chart. I seek to still count all Turbo Cup in life with current l'heure. Then if you have one of them, or that you saw one of them recently, do not n'hésitez to contact me, j'en will be magic! webmaster@asarus.com Here, these are information I have to date. If you have d'autres information, or if you see errors, do not n'hésitez to contact me.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Tifo, exactly what I was looking for, perfect! Thanks!

asing d'huile out of magnesium and of different capacity, pipe d'admission magnesium, bars anti-bringing together AV and AR, arch cage, Recaro bucket with harness 5 points, cap in GFK, rétros specific, not d'antibrouillards, manual panes, distributor of brakes, cuts circuit, not of back bench, definitely decreased insulation, rims 16" out of magnesium (with slicks in 245 and 255), discs perforated and ventilated, plates of competition, free exhaust, not of vacuum pocket, not d'autoradio, not d'enceintes, not of power-assisted steering, not of centralization, not d'éclairage of the driving compartment, etc...

What is Cap in GFK?

I think I see anti roll bars, sway bars? what sizes were they?

Do you know what spring rates were used?

What size torsion helper bars?

did getting rid of the wheel wells provide space for 245's in the front, and 255's in the rear?

What size exhaust did they use? muffler? obviously no cat

Why no underbody sealant, weight? wouldn't this cause damage/rust problems in the cup cars that are still around today?

What were the gear ratios on the tranny like? all LSD cars? Seperate oil cooler?

Factory steering wheel?

Factory cut off switch?

Other motor differences?

Different DME (chipped)?

Just trying to learn as much as possible!
Attached Images     
Old 12-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Anyone have any answers? all I can find is French!
Old 12-14-2004, 07:55 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

learn to read french! it's easy!

you can also try babelfish.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:28 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman
The blue car was not factory painted in the Maritime Blau color, that happened after it's cup racing life. It belongs to one of Seb's and Thom's friends.
Big Brother is watching us ...
[soap opera]
The three of us went to the restaurant yesterday evening after watching a car auction. A 300 SL convertible made €175k though that was still under its estimated €180k-200k.
[/soap opera]

Cup cars came out the factory painted black, white or red. Plain basic colours were the most appropriate in order to style the cars in function of the sponsors.
That car is blue as the main sponsor during the trophy required painting it blue, but it's neither Maritime blue nor Riviera blue. It is painted in the same blue as some of the old Renault competition cars.

Quick Reply: 944 cup car Pictures