Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Drop/Removal Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 02:35 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard dropping it is easier. Is lifting it out a better option?

Max
Old 12-07-2004, 02:40 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Instead of renting you can buy a hoist relatively cheap. I picked up a new foldable one on ebay that included an engine stand and level for $125. Shipping was expensive, but still worth it. Worked great, but I took mine out the top, something about lowering the engine on the oil pan just doesn’t seem right to me.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:43 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you guys have any instructions for pulling the engine out through the top? I only have Clark's Garage instructs for dropping.

I have heard you need to do a few extra things like pull the radiator...that is fine because I plan to have the radiator cleaned. What else is there?

Max
Old 12-07-2004, 02:55 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I was never able to find any directions, but this is what I needed to remove in addition to the usual stuff.

Radiator
Power steering pump
Alternator
Alternator pulley
Lower timing belt cover
Heat shield for brake reservoir
Headlight bar
Oil pressure sender

The biggest restriction was the exhaust pipes from the turbo interfering with the brake booster.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heat shield for the brakes, hood, etc. people seem to go either way.

A leveler is a must have with the hoist.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:59 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
people seem to go either way.
Not me I like FEMALES !!!

Oh sorry,
Old 12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think folks may label the "drop it" route easier because you do not need a hoist and it therefore becomes more DIY. Though most here have answered that they used a hoist to drop the engine, many do not - they use a jack and some luck - BTDT. Danno and others have built DIY engine hoists and relayed the info here - these hoists are nothing more than some wood, bolts and chain. The wood structure sits on top of the inside of the fenders. I lifted my car to ~30" and used a jack with a custom built jig to secure the engine to the jack cradle. Now, I use a hoist and bring it out the top. Neither is easy but bringing it out the top leaves the car at a sane level so you can perform other work.

I sometimes dream I'm working on one of my old Jeep CJs and can just pull the fenders and front off to work on it, or, remove it in about 30 minutes if I really need to see all angles... ahh, the good old daze...
Old 12-07-2004, 03:22 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Max, I have a hoist at my parent's house that you can use if you need it. It's one I picked up for ~150 at a tractor supply place when I pulled my engine 2 years ago.

I pulled it a little differently than others. I went out the bottom, so I jacked the car up as high as my jackstands (craftsman) would go in the front, and the rear I had up on ramps. From there, I lowered the engine down with the hoist onto carpet. Then I attached the hoist to the frame of the car in the front and raised the car up just enough to slide the engine out. I've got pics if you'd like to see them. It looks scary, but I trusted a hoist (3-4 foot wide base) to hold my car up high more than I trusted a set of jackstands (~10 inch base).
Old 12-07-2004, 03:40 PM
macnewma
Addict
Rennlist Member

Right on Mike! I might take you up on that offer. If you have the time to help, it would also be much appreciated. I didn't know that you had pulled your engine. I think I have a pretty good handle on what needs to happen, but experience trumps all. There will be an unlimited supply of your favorite brew at my place.

I will let you know when I plan to actually pull it. It will probably be in January some time. If possible I will work it around your schedule. BTW, my garage and garage door are insulated and I will have adequate heating. I hate cold garages.

Thanks,
Max
Old 12-07-2004, 03:46 PM
CurlyDE
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any suggestions on where to hook a hoist if the head is not currently on the block? The front location is still there, but not the rear one.
Old 12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a hoist and dropped it out the bottom... IMHO, that's the best way to go cuz ya don't have to f*ck with the headlights.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:37 PM
garthfan
Racer

I recently pulled and replaced the engine on my '87 924S...through the top of the car. The only thing I had to do different was pull the radiator in order to slide the clutch housing completely clear of the torque-tube. Then I lowered the engine to the floor and picked it up with the chains situated more to the front of the engine. This allowed the ***-end of the engine to stay lower and the engine came out at a pretty severe angle with the clutch-housing pointed at the floor. It was stupidly easy and I didn't have to do anything funky with the car to do it. Installation was the same thing: Set it in the car with the clutch-housing angled down, lower it to the floor, level it out and move your chains back into position to lift the engine straight up and slide it back on the torque-tube. I did this method with basically everything on the engine except the cam-tower, the alternator and the front-cover. Hope this helps!
Old 12-07-2004, 09:38 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

This has worked for me at least 5 times. I've never tried going out the top, but one of these times I've just gotta try it. These pics from engine pull from a parts car about 6-8 weeks ago. Its up about 30" in the front. I put car on two block height first, do all the dismantling part I need to, jack it up to add third block just before hooking engine up to it. Scary.......I don't think so. Its amazingly stable like this. I'd never, never do this using jackstands at this height though. It really does help alot to have the foldable hoist, long frame jack, and leveling spreader (all bought from Harbor Freight). Long frame jack cost $99.00, hoist cost $169.00, leveler cost about $25.00. Building blocks cost about $1.69 each. Screw those jackstands ( IMHO).....and I already have like 3 sets (short ones though). Short frame dolly works excellent also, its just 3/4" plywood with real short casters on it. One day soon......I'll try pulling out the top for a change. Good luck...........just do it safely! If anyone that lives local to me has an engine they want to swap into their car........let me know........I'll help ya out, and we'll swap yours out the top. We can do it over here at my place sometime (hopefully around springtime).
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joseph mitro
........whatever you do, use an engine hoist to lift the engine. i was advised to use a couple jacks under the engine to lower it down, and it was the worst (and most dangerous) advice i've been given. i could easily have lost a finger or hand doing that. pay the $250 to get a good hoist, or rent one from your local company. i now have one, and have used it several times in my rebuild, before even installing the engine again.
I don't think anyone could EVER get me drunk enough to even think about dropping an engine out of one of these, or most any other car, using only floor or bottle jacks alone. Yeah........hoist is MANDATORY........unless ya feel really, really lucky, or you just don't care what the results might be. $32.00 to rent a good one for 4 hours IIRC........ain't worth life or limb or damage that can occur if you go without.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 PM
PaulStewart
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I always pull them out the top, using a hoist and leveler. I'm getting too old to crawl around on the floor.

Quick Reply: Engine Drop/Removal Questions