Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on my first clutch job, please

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2004, 10:58 PM
944IF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Help on my first clutch job, please

So, my first ever clutch job has dragged on, mostly just because of stuck bolts. Things I have done:

--exhaust off
--transmission out
--torque tube loosened
--bellhousing bolts removed.

Right now, I'm stuck on pulling out the "clutch arm pivot bolt," (I think that is the name for it.)

As instructed in the factory shop manual, Clark's Garage procedure, and Haynes, I threaded a 8 mm bolt into it, and began to pull on it. I skipped from prying with a screwdriver to a hammer, which I soon felt bending in my hand, at which point I grabbed a crowbar. Maybe I budged it a little, but I really had little visible progress after ~30-40 min of tugging on it, spraying it down with PB blaster.

At which point a friend and I got the bright idea that, even though none of the instructions mentioned it, perhaps screwing the bolt in farther would force it out. This had the eventual result of shearing the bolt head off. Yes, it seems very stupid now...

I could try a screw extractor, I suppose. Or tow it to a shop and tell them to get the clutch apart...
Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drill it out!

Good luck man!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:09 PM
944IF
Advanced

I assume you mean drill the bolt out.

Then what? (I'll have a stuck pivot with no threads inside it.)

and do these things typically get stuck in there that well?

Thanks for the luck.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:17 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Yep, try the screw extractor.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:18 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had one get stuck... you did hit it with Rostoff or equivalent, right? (penetrating oil)

when you drill it out, use a set of "easy outs" in which you drill in a small drill bit, then back it out, and insert a reverse-threaded drill bit which as the bit goes into the dead bolt, it'll loosen it and remove it. it's a great tool to have.

Or if you don't get a set of those, go for a tap and die set, in which you insert a cutting bit which re-threads the new hole, and makes it good.

Then insert a NEW bolt, and use a slide hammer to get that sucker out. I see you did remove the set screw that holds it in...I say douse it in penetrating oil and let it sit, then try the slide hammer trick.

Good luck man!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't tell from your pic if the head sheared off or the bolt neck did - if there's a stub sticking out, try visegrips on it to unscrew it, or Dremel a slot into it and use a flathead screwdriver to unscrew it.

They do indeed get stuck that well. Get a new bolt, use a socket and some washers as a mini-puller to pull it out into the socket body. IE bolt, washer, bigger washer, big socket (that the brown ring will fit INSIDE), screw in. The bolt will tighten the washers and socket against the housing, and then as you keep tightening, will brace against the housing and pull the pin out into the socket. As you get more of it out, swap the socket for a short length of pipe and continue.

Sam
Old 12-04-2004, 11:23 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 183 Likes on 108 Posts

Looks like an Easy-Out is your first option; the pull bolt should back out OK. If not, you could use MIG welder and try to weld on a new shank and discard the pivot rod when done; its probably badly pitted anyway. Several folks, including me, have been successful using a homemade sliding hammer on the pull bolt. I was cheap and used a heavy 36mm impact socket as my hammer and once it popped, it was a snap to keep moving. Try to buy the highest grade bolt you can find for the pull. It seems the rubber that breaks down from the disc can get fused onto the shaft making it a bitch to get moving. I hope it works out, you are so close to the easy part!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:26 PM
944IF
Advanced

I lost my can of liquid wrench, so I'm using PB Blaster (penetrating oil).

hmm, don't have a slide hammer, but that sounds like a great idea. I may have to invest in one.

I've been a PelicanParts member for a long time, but haven't posted here much. Wow, I'm suprised at how fast this board responds. Thanks!
Old 12-04-2004, 11:33 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

PB Blaster is just as good if not better.

Sam
Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Avoid using an easy-out... they suck.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:34 PM
944IF
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Can't tell from your pic if the head sheared off or the bolt neck did
Neck sheared so that it's flush with the pivot rod, so there isn't much to grab.

Originally Posted by Sam Lin
Get a new bolt, use a socket and some washers as a mini-puller to pull it out into the socket body. IE bolt, washer, bigger washer, big socket (that the brown ring will fit INSIDE), screw in. The bolt will tighten the washers and socket against the housing, and then as you keep tightening, will brace against the housing and pull the pin out into the socket. As you get more of it out, swap the socket for a short length of pipe and continue.
Wow, should have asked before I started getting ideas of my own.

Originally Posted by 2Tight
I hope it works out, you are so close to the easy part!
I have no experience with which to know what's inside, so it is with some dread that I think forward to the "easy part." Will it really be that bad?
Old 12-04-2004, 11:37 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

You should still be able to Dremel a slot into it even if flush, it'll also slot the end of the pivot, which won't hurt a thing.

Sam
Old 12-04-2004, 11:42 PM
944IF
Advanced

Sam, you are a genius.

Seriously.

I don't have a garage, and I'm tired of working on my car in the dark, so I'm done for the night, but I'll try your ideas as soon as I get a chance. I'm volunteering tomorrow, and finals all this week, but I miss my Pcar more every day, so...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:45 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

None of those are originally my idea.

Sam
Old 12-04-2004, 11:46 PM
944IF
Advanced

Don't say that--it ruins the image.