Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So much for the rice ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004 | 10:01 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Default So much for the rice ...

I work at an Autoparts store. Namely, Napa Auto Parts. Today we cleared out the "Appearance" Aisle. You know, with "euro" taillights, neons, etc etc for civics and accords and acuras and all that. And it was replaced with our new line of professional air tools, and gearwrench products. It was pretty fun
Old 11-20-2004 | 10:06 PM
pearldrum944
Drifting

Good times
Why did you get rid of them? Sales dropping?
Old 11-20-2004 | 10:10 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

*prays* I'm hoping people wise up and stop buying that useless crap for their cars....
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:02 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

great news!! now if only everyone else would do that! IM sure autozone would just replace them w/ some scooters and model cars.
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:16 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Well let's just say most of the boxes were covered in dust
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:43 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Who goes to napa for rice stuff anyway.. its autozone, if your an idiot like that. And if you're less of an idiot like that, you go on ebay and get teh stuff half off.
Old 11-20-2004 | 11:48 PM
kevin Dubois
Racer

well, i think the reason there is no more sales is because every honda in america already has that stuff
Old 11-21-2004 | 10:51 AM
Sasquatch
Instructor

A little side note about rice... I recently was invited to a local gathering of what I thought to be a bunch of young ricers (I am pushing 40). What I found was a bunch of kids very exited about their cars. This was not the big wing, fart can bling bling crowd. most of the cars at this gathering were seriously lacking on apperance group items but totally wicked under the hood.

A few of the cars..
A 500hp twin turbo celica
A 400+ hp turbo saturn
A 600hp 300zx TT
A 300hp 240sx
A 400hp Acura integra
and quite a few others.

These guys all have their dyno sheets as badges of honor. We went for a little drive and it is really humbling to get your *** handed to you by a civic when you are driving a Porsche. Not only was I beaten in an impromptu "race" on the freeway (2:30am, he and I were the only cars in sight), but he totally creamed me. I thought I had dropped 2 cylinders the way he pulled away from me starting around 50mph. And it was just a damn civic....

I stucked my tail between my legs and hummed the theme to "I need a turbo blues".

But even a modded 951 would have trouble againsed some of these "kids".
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:35 AM
yoyoguy2
Racer

yeah, a lot of people really belittel the import crowd around here, but there are some really legit people out there driving outrageous cars. of course, for every one of those there's 5 guys who live up to the ricer image, but you've got to give respect where it's due.
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:39 AM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

i raced an eclipse gs when i had my supraturbo, but this thing had a turbo, cams, pistons etc....from 75mph, he killed me, from 100mph, he left me sitting like....well like i was sitting.
Old 11-21-2004 | 11:43 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by yoyoguy2
yeah, a lot of people really belittle the import crowd around here, but ...you've got to give respect where it's due.
I couldn't agree more and every time I post what I am about to post again, I get flamed:

There is no such thing as a bad car made anymore. There IS such a thing as a bad car for your intended purpose though. Aren't we on this boarda and those Japanses import lovers BOTH car guys? The answer is yes. Their passion is different than ours - great. Leave them to it. Calling someone an "idiot" for liking all that little bling bling stuff is, well, idiocy. I guess it takes one to know one, huh?

I'm happy there are guys out there that love cars, just like I love mine. More power to them - no pun intended
Old 11-21-2004 | 12:20 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

I do a lot of belittiling because around here most of the people you get are blasting their rap music with their bling chrome spinney rims and such...but the ones that actually have power in them....makes em smile a little on the inside. Sure they could have picked a better chasis to put that engine in, but thats a matter of personal taste. No, I think those cars are just fine (especially the 240SX....ohhhh yeah!)
Old 11-21-2004 | 12:27 PM
Dave
Race Car

OK everyone, feel freeto sing along;

Ding dong the rice is dead
The rice is dead, the rice is dead
Ding dong thenastyrice is dead!
Old 11-21-2004 | 01:38 PM
chilix
Instructor

Well you guys are on the subject. There is a ricer factory that builds the rice draggers. They have some fast cars (2 1300hp TT supras) but most of the guys there are total jerks. I mean they will not talk to you unless you have something under the hood and can beat them, and still. I have met some that are real cool and just love cars in general. A lot that I've met are rather cocky though. A Integra type R parked next to me at an SCCA autoX and I asked him about his car, he ignored me.

If rice is there thing, it's alright with me as long as they are cool about it and show appriciation for other.
Old 11-21-2004 | 01:48 PM
SD Porsche Fan
Cast Iron Man
Rennlist Member

I find that most ricers that have all the neon/chrome/wing etc. are mostly all show. The guys with the big HP under the hood tend to be a little more low key the bling add-ons. These guys tend to have more of a "let's prove it on the track" attitude. These are the ones to respect.

My first sports car was a 280ZX with LSD, cold air, and lightened flywheel. Although I love my "new" 951 part of me would love to find a nice older Z car.

I agree with the above statement that there are no "bad" cars. Of course I'll probably change my attitude the first time I get lit up by some Civic. I guess that will be the point where I start investing in new chips, injectors, bigger turbo, 3" cat back...

Quick Reply: So much for the rice ...