Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood insulation and paint eggshelling

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 03:55 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hood insulation and paint eggshelling

i removed my hood insulation about a year ago and have been running without it since. Today, I noticed that if you look up close at the paint, in the center of the hood over the ehaust manifold, the paint is well eggshelled. I have not noticed this before.

The paint is nearly four years old - PO have a pretty good paint job done. Is this eggshelling to be expected? - is this the beginning of paint problems? - or should I be thinking of replacing the insulation? I know the newer cars dont have the insulation, curious what condition the paint on those hoods with good paint are in?

The car is not a daily driver and is only driven about 8k a year. I believe the cracking has developed since removing the insulation. Lately, I have begun to leave the hood cracked open after drives when the car goes back in the garage.
Old 11-19-2004, 03:59 PM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hmm, interesting to hear Joe, I've been considering removing my crumbling insulation, but I will reconsider if it's going to harm the paint? I wonder what the later cars sans insulation have done to avoid this problem...

EDIT: Joe, may i suggest, if you want to list all your mods, to resize the font in your signature like many of us have. just put "size=1" in square brackets at the beginning of your text, and "/size" in square brackets at the end. Makes it easier on our wheel mouses!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 04:01 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard mixed reviews of removing the insulation.

There are several people out there with the later cars, that have no paint issues at all, and there are several people who do have issues. I believe it's luck of the draw, and it depends on whether the car has been re-painted or not. IMHO, replace the insulation if you had it, and if you've repainted, consider installing it.
From what I have seen, the factory paint seems to hold up pretty well to the excess heat.
Old 11-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW- my 88 924S NEVER had hood insulation, and no adverse effects to this date.

Why is your exhaust so hot? do you have the belly pan on?
Old 11-19-2004, 06:09 PM
MachSchnell
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 89 951 has SERIOUS eggshelling on the hood, exactly where you're talking about - pretty sure it's a repaint and it's going bad no doubt. I'd actually planned on building a steel with ceramic coated heat shield to go over the headers right before I have the hood repainted - either that or stick a naca duct there
Old 11-19-2004, 06:14 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had it, those turbos generate A LOT of heat.
Had the hood stripped and painted a couple months ago, and it's starting to crack again..
Old 11-19-2004, 06:15 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

They probably used the budget paint when they repainted it (nason, maybe?). I have only dabbled in painting a little bit, but I always read the specifications, and a few of the more expensive ones I have seen have a higher resistance to heat and cold as far as the maximum/minimum temperatures they can stand. I don't know. Just a suggestion. Hopefully someone who knows paint well will chime in.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

perhaps a epoxy based bottom coat is in order (Glasirite -SP?) to ward this off. I KNOW it bonds to aluminum, check out the "Dream car garage" aluminum bodied Cobras they work on.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:36 PM
RMills944
Drifting

IT looks to me like turbo guys see this a lot more. I think the best thing is to just put some aftermarket heat shielding in there. Another choice is to paint that area under the hood a more heat-resistant color like white.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:39 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

thanks, on the sig. resize - done.

the PO was real particular about the paint - paint was DuPont and came over from Germany - I have the repaint receipts.

I dont think the car is running hot at all and the manifolds are tubular steel, not cast iron.
But, I could very well be a case of having been re-painted, or other factors in the paint prep.

Anyway - looks like it is common - I can run as I am and expect to repaint the hood at some time or put the hood insulation back on.

The funny thing is - i had a set of new factory pads that i bought at a good price. After removing the old insulation/adhesive and looking over the archived posts - i decided not to run with the pads primarily based on the fact that the later cars did not have any. Of course, I resold the pads. Hindsight - I'm thinking I should have put them on.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

I'm wondering if the steel headers cast off more heat upwards that the OEM cast ones- maybe wrap the headers? I understand the heat issue on a turbo- but on an NA?

Thinking outside the box again...
Old 11-19-2004, 10:44 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My paintshop sprayed the bottom recessed areas of my hood with stoneguard foam - then painted over that. I know it isn't stock, but it looks pretty good actually and it should protect the paint better than having nothing.

I think the problem with repaints is that the new paint cannot be baked as long and hot as the original paint was from the factory. this leaves it more prone to cracking to flaking.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:30 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If choosing to replace the insulation, what is the best type to use?

Otherwise, which type shoud be avoided?

Quick Reply: Hood insulation and paint eggshelling