Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Racing shipping concern/question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 03:40 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT Racing shipping concern/question

I bought widebody fenders from GT racing last month, and shipping was around $100. I recieved a letter today from them saying "as you know fuel prices have been going up. We have been suprised by how quickly this has affected our freight bills, and find it necessary to bill you for the unexpected jump in price. We apologize for this inconvienece. We have attached the freight bill for your inspection."

I checked my credit card statement to see they ALREADY charged me an extra $26 before I ever even knew (keep in mine I bought these fenders last month)-

Is this legal? Can they just charge my credit card like that after the fact, w/o even notifying me or asking permission? This has severely pissed me off, and they have lost a customer if they do not rectify the situation (I will try to call them again tommorow- they have odd hours).
-Randy
Old 11-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Was the shipping price agreed on before you paid? Or was it the kind of deal where you order, and they say they will charge you shipping once it is packaged and shipped?

If you agreed to a shipping quote, say, in the checkout window before you entered your credit card and such, I think they cannot do this.

Otherwise, they can probably stick it to you......

I have no knowledge of the laws or antyhing, but that's what I can infer from the situation, I think.

It is very unprofessional of them though, IMO. They should be able to eat the 26 dollars for the few customers that ordered right at the point of the increased rates.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:50 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Given all the money you pee away on your car what is another 26 dollars?

And yes it is legal, you agreed to pay shipping costs, what he gave you was an estimate.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:29 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

Hah! You're one to talk Ian- coming from a guy who is too good for Big Reds, so he buys 996TT calipers and has custom rotors made. How much did you have in your red 951???

I am going to talk to a lawyer friend of mine, then contact Gt racing tommorow. Shipping was already agreed upon and had already been paid last month. This extra charge was just out of the blue
Old 11-16-2004, 05:53 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Shipping prices have been up for 3 months now, what rock hav ethey been living under?
Old 11-16-2004, 05:56 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

yeah, like I said, I am severely pissed they didnt at least ask me if they COULD charge my credit card first- granted its only $25 or so, but its got to be illegal
Old 11-16-2004, 06:02 PM
Ben Z.
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd complain, but not enough to **** them off so much that they cancel the order (you do want the fenders, right?) Hopefully they refund the money. If they didn't, I'd give them one more chance once I got the fenders and let them know that the extra charge is still bothering me and if they can't refund it, I won't be ordering from them again.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:08 PM
RMills944
Drifting

Ben, he's had the fenders for about a month if I'm not mistaken
Old 11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

If you already agreed to a price and cut a deal then they can't come back with a modification on the shipping costs on an unilateral fashion. There are some modifications to this in the Uniform Commercial Code but it has been so long since I have studied that, that I forget exactly how it applies to situations like you have so ask your lawyer friend.

However, UCC aside as to the final price, they can't just whack your credit card if you didn't give authorization for the whacking. That is venturing into criminal activity.

But as a practical matter, do you want the fenders or not? GT dicked around long enough for the freight company to add a fuel surcharge so they want extra money. Undo the transaction, wait for fuel cost to come back down or live with the extra charge. In the grand scheme of things, an extra $26 is the least of your worries.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:22 PM
RMills944
Drifting

You could tell the credit card company that was an unauthorized transaction.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guys at GT racing are OK. Hank, the owner is a nice guy and they are a small company...don't get TOO many customers but still doing alright. I've never done business with them, but they hosted a PCA event at their factory. I'm assuming they do well with their business practices. From what I know of the owner, he doesn't seem to be the type of guy to screw someone over, or do anything illegal, so my geuss is that it IS in fact legal.

just something to consider...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
CPTdooberhead
Drifting

I have had the fenders for about a month now. Like I said, the charge is out of the blue. I paid for them a month ago, recieved the fenders about a week later. Almost want to to just get a full refund and return the fenders to them and wash my hands of it all. And yes, I agree, Hank is a very nice guy from the few times I've soken to him over the phone, but thats not the issue here...
-Randy
Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok. I didn't realize that you've already had them, and yes, that does seem rather wierd that out of the blue they'd hit you with it...

I say investigate, call em up, and see what's shakin. maybe it was an error...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:41 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Porschephile 924
The guys at GT racing are OK. Hank, the owner is a nice guy and they are a small company...don't get TOO many customers but still doing alright. I've never done business with them, but they hosted a PCA event at their factory. I'm assuming they do well with their business practices. From what I know of the owner, he doesn't seem to be the type of guy to screw someone over, or do anything illegal, so my geuss is that it IS in fact legal.

just something to consider...

No, you are getting the issues confused into one big ball. First issue is whether GT can modify the price after all their costs are in. I'm not sure they can in this case but there are some exceptions. Say Randy lived in Antarctica, there would be something in the agreement to cover that shipping hazzard. Second issue is just charging the credit card. That is a no-no but many try to do it. If Randy wanted to he could complain to the credit card issuer, get the charge shoved down GT's throat and a ding on GT's credit file. Too many of those dings and the credit card clearing house pulls your account.

Quick Reply: GT Racing shipping concern/question