Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 08:49 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Ok Dan P.'s depressing post (click here) got me thinking. I'm going to buy an extinguisher ASAP and everyone here should do the same. In fact, a group buy may be in order.
First, some questions:

What is the best type?
Who has the best deals?
What mount works best in a 944?

Last edited by pete944; 11-16-2004 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bump. I'm interested.

I like the kind that mounts right in front of the passenger seat bench.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in. I have a crappy chem one, would much rather have a halon (or whatever has replaced halon now) extinguisher instead so I don't corrode wires and such if I need to use it.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:01 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

StableEnergies has a great bracket that mounts underneath the passenger side seat. Its nice because it dosent restrict the movement of the seat at all. With this type you can mount a 2.5lb bottle. Im currently running with a 2.5lb Halotron. Halon 1301, 1211 or 1202 is the best you can buy, but they are expensive as Halon is no longer legal due to EPA regulations. Most of the stuff around now is recycled. A 2.5lb bottle goes for close to $100-150 right now. To put things into perspective, the training ship Empire State VI that i work on still uses a Halon system for the engine room (Halon is no longer legal to make, but can still be found for the right price.). There are jokes that we should steal a bottle from the Halon room which consists of 12-322lb bottles of Halon 1301.Each one costing about 15k each to refill.

Halotron is only marginally cheaper, but more readily avialable. There is also Aqueous Film-Forming Foams or AFFF. The stuff is a bit more messey, but cleans up with water. These are most effective against Class A and Class B fires which is common combustables and flammable liquids. The advantage of Halon and Halotron is that its also good for Class C fires which include electrical equipment.

Wow...stuff i learned onboard the ship actually came in handy!

http://www.stable-energies.com/products.asp?dept=45

Installation of the bracket is fairly simple, all you need to do is take the passenger side seat out. It is possible to do with the seat still in the car, but that really over complicates things greatly. Its a little more work to take the seat out, but it makes bolting the bracket to the bottom much easier.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:14 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will the Stable Energies barcket mount to non-stock seats?

Winslow, where is yous mounted, I remember seeing a particularly cool setup in your car.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too carry a crappy "old school" chem extinguisher. It's always better than none. Right after I found Rennlist I read "The Illl fated rebuild" and swore I'd never be without one. Thanks Perry!

I vote for the passenger front seat mount as well- it's out of the way for your passenger as well. Under the seat bolts is a very secure (and IIRC recommended) mount point.

Whatever extinguisher packs the most punch for the pricepoint, and is ABC rated (or better) is fine by me.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:15 AM
Jerad
Pro

I'm interested as well. I only have a small one I threw behind my seat for emergencies.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:17 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerad
I'm interested as well. I only have a small one I threw behind my seat for emergencies.
Ditto.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:20 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt H
Will the Stable Energies barcket mount to non-stock seats?
The SE mount that I looked at mounts to the mount points where the factory slider bolts to the factory seat, so that it moves with the seat. That means, for people like me that have aftermarket seats and no factory slider, a custom bracket would be in order, or some sort of modification to the SE mount.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:41 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I use the Brey Krause mount for a non-power seat ($70) Extinguisher is a Amerex 1211 2.5lb Halon- cost was $120. Both bought from Livermore Performance @ www.livermoreperformance.com

Total w/ tax was $204.

Heres a pic:

edit: I found another pic while mounting the BK unit:

Last edited by SamGrant951; 11-16-2004 at 10:36 AM.
Old 11-16-2004, 09:44 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Sorry for the OT digression here.........

Sam, just looked at your sig. Did the Pathfinder finally bite the dust?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:07 AM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I carry a $10 Kidde ABC type that I bought at Home Depot. It sits in the footwell of the rear seat behind me - an easy grab for my long arms!

I always knew that this type of fire extinguisher would likely ruin what it sprayed, but didn't care too much - the point was to save the whole car, and anything that stray spray might hit would probably be damaged from heat or smoke anyway, and I'd probably be replacing that after a fire anyway.. The other thing I figured on was that the $100 I save on an extinguisher I may or may not ever need could be later applied to my insurance deductible. I originally bought my extinguisher for the Lotus, and there is nothing in the vicinity of the engine that might get ruined by a fire extinguisher that I couldn't replace for $10 or $20. I would really like to have a halon extinguisher, but I can't justify the price right now.

But I would appreciate if someone could educate me on what is contained in a standard ABC extinguisher, and what it causes. Be as chemically explicit as you can, please. Eventually I would like to get a better extinguisher, and now seems like a great time to learn.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:09 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony - slightly OT, is your Lotus relatively cheap to maintain? I ask because you make it sound that way and I have always wanted one.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:10 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like Sam's nifty Halon unit is made by Amerex...

http://www.amerex-fire.com/halotron.html

sales@amerex-fire.com
Old 11-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also very interested in a group buy for a halon extinguisher and mount. I don't want to shell out $70 for the BK one, since I can make it myself, but if we can get a decent group buy price then I will be in. Seeing as I have spent over a year rebuilding a car that had an engine fire I know what is involved and it is not something I particularly care to do again.

Pete, are you going to look into a group buy? Perhaps we could email both SE and BK and see who can get us a better price.

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread