Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The definitive fire extinguisher thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what is actually contained in regular fire extinguishers that is so corrosive? At least the name of the chemical(s) it contains, and what materials/surfaces it corrodes, and how badly, please. I would really appreciate any explanation.

hmmm... what about painting a 2-liter bottle red, filling it with water, and putting a spray nozzle on the end? :lol:

Thanks,

Tony
Old 11-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harry,
$100 for a 2.5lb Halon extinguisher is quite a good deal. Do you happen to remember who the point of contact at safecraft was for your groupbuy? Also, how many people did it take to get the $100 rate? If you could possibly find out who I should email or call I could help try and set this up. Seems like there is enough interest for a Halon extinguisher group buy. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tony K, from what i learned in saftey training and a little bit of chemistry worked in, the ABC fire extinuishers use monoammonium phosphate which is corosive to many metals. The problem with this type of extinguishing agent is that it melts on contact with fire around 300-350 degrees and coats the surface. Basically smothering the fire. While effective at stopping most A, B and C class fires, it will permanenetley destroy anything that may have been of salvage.

And water has the potential to make a fuel / oil fire worse by just spreading everything around. So no, dont paint a bottle red

Edit - Looking at my notes, Purple K is another common dry chemical agent. The problem with that is, its highly corroisive to metal as well, in particular aluminum. So i dont think that would work to well in our engine bay.

Edit #2 - The nice thing about the Halon / Haltron bottles is that you dont need the hood to be completley open to extinguish a fire. Where as the ABC dry chemical stuff you need to have a pretty good shot at whatever is ignited to put it out.

Also im not sure who said it...but its good to have a Class A rating also, because what happens if your interior catches on fire? Though maybe not as likley, it could happen.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 11-16-2004 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:12 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

I'm really glad to see some good is going to come from Brian's misfortune. I used to carry one of those little halon extinguishers behind the seat. I tossed it in whatever questionable car I was driving at the moment. After several years, it got to feeling quite light. I tested, it was empty. False security. Also, that is a projectile if you ever roll it over or get in a bad accident. Many PCA regions require a bottle, properly mounted, in every car that takes to the track. Here is what I have now: (No jokes about the dirty interior, please) It is the Brey/Krause setup with a nice chrome Halon, with a gauge so I can make sure it is still full. Paragon has the BK bar for 69.99, but I don't see any halon bottles. They have some nice looking 2lb Sparco B/C extinguishers for $99. I'd say they are a great option for the group buy. I recall spending around $169 for my halon bottle, but I think it is 2.5LB.

Get it on your Christmas wish list.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 11-16-2004 at 05:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:17 PM
Dark Lightning
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a Sparco dealer (among other things) if that'll help simplify setting up a groub buy. The Sparco Fire Extinguisher (part # 014LLH007, $99 MSRP) comes with a wire mounting bracket and stainless strap:

http://www.sparcousa.com/ptuning_acc.asp?id=500
Old 11-16-2004, 05:33 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Maciek,

i dont know who we delt with.. i didnt do it i jst bought. i think we had about 80 in the group buy.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:43 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Dark, that sparco one is dry chemical.. basically the same crap used in abc extinguishers.. dry chem is not good...

you guys really need halon. there is a reason why they use it in f1, nascar, and just about every racing series out there.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:49 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Im all over this potential group buy. I want one for the 930 too. 951 has non power non sport seat. 930 has power sport seat. Make a difference? Because Im a ******, Id prefer a red one in the red car and a black/silver/chrome one in the grey car!

And NO. I CANNOT install this myself. Are you freakin out of your mind? Id have extinguish goop all over my interior before I got that **** installed. And if I have to take out the seats. Forget it. Hell I dont even know how to USE a fire extinguisher. Honest to God truth. Ive never used one. Ive seen em. You pll a pin or something right. Like a grenade?

In any case, count me in for two of these pooches at any cost. Whats the crucial part, the bracket? So you could mount whatever kind of extinguisher on the bracket you preferred? Great idea on this potential GB.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:59 PM
faithless
Pro

Damn thats a nice deal hoffman. You got the chrome finish too? All for 100? Thats unbeatable. How long have you had yours and what does the pressure gauge read?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

yup.. polished extinguisher

ive had em for 2 years. 1st one i used on my bmw.. fire was out in a blink of an eye. after that i bought a second one (for the regular price of 115 since there wasnt another group buy.. still a deal though!)

preassure is good in them. i can take a look at it when i get home to see the preassure gauge. ill take pics too.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:22 PM
faithless
Pro

I probably won't be able to get in on this...Another tuesday (auto trader comes out) and nothing new to go look at. Same friggin cars.
Of course I could still get in on it, but it would seem pretty stupid to be getting an extinguisher for a car I haven't found yet...

The confusion about Halon was over the manufacture of the chemical. It is a CFC so naturally they do not make it anymore, they stopped in 1994. However it is recyclable, so it is sold and reused to this day. Its the only extinguisher the FAA will allow to fly onboard a commercial aircraft. Halon is basically the industries best extinguisher, and very important.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:24 PM
faithless
Pro

Hoffman, how often do you need to recharge yours? What capacity?
Old 11-16-2004, 06:30 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

never had to recharge mine yet.. i dont know honestly how often they need to be recharged.

instead of refilling my original one when i used it, i bought a new one becuase it woudl have cost me about as much to refill. (like 95 bucks!).
Old 11-16-2004, 06:45 PM
faithless
Pro

What do you do with the bottle? I guess there is Halon still in the bottle when it is empty or used, because I know they recycle it somehow. The only way I can imagine them doing so is by retrieving something from the bottle. www.h3r.com says they have servicing centers where they do the recharging, but gives no indication as to what cities they are in...

lol, I hope you didn't toss it in the trash!

OZONE LAYER
Old 11-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Maciek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Harry,
Thanks for replying, I was hoping you might have remembered your contact.

It looks as though safecraft has the best price for a 2.5lb Halon extinguisher, so someone should contact them to see if they could offer us a groupbuy price. Also, the SE bracket is cheaper then the BK one, so we should contact SE to see if they can't offer a group buy price as well. SE may want to give us a package deal that would include a bracket and extinguisher, so that could be a good option as well.

Of course, before any sort of group buy goes on, we need to contact John D. for his blessing.

I am very busy tonight working on a legal memo, but I should have enough time to contact both parties tomorrow. Unless anyone else wants to take the initiative I will do what I can to possibly set this up.

Pete, if I do manage to get something going, I will PM you and then we can contact John D. to ensure we can get his approval. Also, since the 944 has the same seats as the 911 (through the 993 bodystyle) we can crosspost this to get a better interest.

Sound good?

Quick Reply: The definitive fire extinguisher thread